Who wants to join me

BR46

Wo46's car didn't want to start this morning so I jump started it. We let it run for 30 minutes before she left for work. 

She just called me saying that she went out to start it on her break and the car did nothing. It didn't even try to crank. 

So I'm going to go stand in a parking lot changing a battery. 

Who wants to help? 

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

My maintenance guy told folks to stay home...not worth having car issues in this weather..although my battery is new...

...unless you're running pretty light oil, the stuff just thickens up in there like jello.  Not worth the hassles if you can dodge them.

A light dusting of snow is just ending, there's virtually nothing on the streets and sidewalks, but it's still just above 20F.  So, in spite of being windy, I'm going to spend several minutes clearing the snow off my car rather than do it around 10F or less tomorrow.

They say to NOT start your car and let it idle for a short time just to warm it up. My battery's been good, though 6 years old, so I'm going to do so just to make sure it's starting at all - I haven't started it for 2 days. I have an oil change and leaky-tire-fix scheduled for 1 pm tomorrow so I'll have time tomorrow to make sure I can get going.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

They say to NOT start your car and let it idle for a short time just to warm it up.

If you do, let it idle until it comes up to temperature.  Just starting you can and letting it warm for just a minute or 2 can cause condensation to form in areas you don't want condensation - causing it to not start when you need it.  I always make sure the temp gauge is heading into the normal range before I shut it down in the winter.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

If you do, let it idle until it comes up to temperature.  Just starting you can and letting it warm for just a minute or 2 can cause condensation to form in areas you don't want condensation - causing it to not start when you need it.  I always make sure the temp gauge is heading into the normal range before I shut it down in the winter.

132A50D6-FCD3-4D59-A66E-AB983C4A4301.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, Page Turner said:

....this might be the time to share my epic story of trying to start the '68 Dart outside in the circular driveway out at the lake in MN.  It was 20 below that night, and when I needed to start it (really, really, really needed to start it), it had warmed up to 10 below.  So I got out the tools I thought I'd need, and the spray ether, and some gloves I could slip on and off quickly.  Put the tools next to the wood stove, for prewarming.

I figured I would go out for a while, then when it got too bad, come inside and warm up.  Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.

There's this trick where you pull a couple of spark plugs to lower the compression so you can get the engine to spin a little first.  But at ten below zero, the spark plug wires were too stiff to pull off, so I ended up breaking off the tops of all the plugs, which was easy at ten below.  Then I pulled out the tops from the wires, went inside to get the ratchet, socket and extension and a fresh set of plugs. Warmed them up on the stove.

Went back outside with the ratchet and got the old plug remains out, which was surprisingly easy (probably because I use anti-seize to install plugs). Got the new ones in on the next trip, went back in for a final warmup, then came out and sprayed the carb throat full of ether.  Got it to fire once or twice in one or two cylinders, then nothing. :angry:

Got my friend to start the tractor ( which had a heater installed in it and was parked inside the barn).  Threw on a chain to pull start it, and pulled it down the driveway, successfully pull starting the sucker.  Success !!! :) 

In removing the tow chain, he flipped the hook up and knocked a hole in the radiator. :(

I hope you have better luck with the battery.:cheerleader:

Well that sounds fun.  I am glad it was you and not me! 

22 hours ago, smudge said:

Did the battery swap go ok?

I getting to the point of....I wanted to hunt down the guy who designed the battery box in the Ford Focus and punch him in the face. But as could as my fingers were my hand would have shattered. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1