How many miles do you drive per year?

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Zero. Last yr. we rented a car and probably did 300 km. in total for a trip. Dearie found it very demanding to drive because of his sleep disorder. He had to stop every 100 km. to sleep for half an hr.

We are travel junkies.  Finding trail all over the place takes miles.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Zero. Last yr. we rented a car and probably did 300 km. in total for a trip. Dearie found it very demanding to drive because of his sleep disorder. He had to stop every 100 km. to sleep for half an hr.

Do you use public transit for your daily travels?

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are travel junkies.  Finding trail all over the place takes miles.

We travel too....probably to different destinations where plane, bus and train takes us. Combined with cycling or just straight cycling over the years.

Everyone has different definitions of expanding horizons and fun.  I don't feel less/seeing less in my world, for not driving/having a car.  

Just now, shootingstar said:

We travel too....probably to different destinations where plane, bus and train takes us. Combined with cycling or just straight cycling over the years.

Everyone has different definitions of expanding horizons and fun.  I don't feel less/seeing less in my world, for not driving/having a car.  

Gotcha.  We don't have that readily available in our town (no airport, no rail to work, and limited bus service).  Last time we flew was 2013.  That is an enormous use of fossil fuel. We will likely fly again in 2023. 

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Do you use public transit for your daily travels?

Sometimes, not always. Usually crappy weather.  Walk or bike.  We actively chose to live near (within 15 min. walk), shops, services,  transit, bike routes in the cities where we've lived for nearly last 30 yrs.

Yes, of course, one can redirect saved money from non-car ownership/use to other things. A blog post I did 8 years ago.  I calculated redirecting the money $325,000 over a 35 yrs. period since I've been car-free longer than he has been. (He drove in life before me....in his former marriage, for his job in business trips across North America and having 2 children).  Let's just say, my calculations were really off base..but by now the figure is still relevant.

However you love mtn biking, so need a car.  We don't mountain bike. It's not our thing.  

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Gotcha.  We don't have that readily available in our town (no airport, no rail to work, and limited bus service).  Last time we flew was 2013.  That is an enormous use of fossil fuel. We will likely fly again in 2023. 

DH, I live and work in a different province from dearie for past few years.  I have family in Ontario, 3,000 km. east. I don't fly often annually but it is for both family/love and pleasure/visiting.  It is just not to look at lovely landscapes, animals. It is  human connection and love for the people who mean the most to me in my life. That is irreplaceable for a person's well-being/mental health.

I don't have a job that involves flying. (I've been flown in from other provinces for job interviews. What shall one do about those situations?)

For play? Shoot maybe a couple of road trips a year, 1,500 miles maybe.  We usually travel to VA or now FL to visit family so our travel is more in the air than on the road.

I don’t drive for work anymore and my commute is 20 miles one way so I’m not on the road much these days and I live it.  I sure hope I can ride this job out to retirement... 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

DH, I live and work in a different province from dearie for past few years.  I have family in Ontario, 3,000 km. east. I don't fly often annually but it is for both family/love and pleasure/visiting.  It is just not to look at lovely landscapes, animals. It is  human connection and love for the people who mean the most to me in my life. That is irreplaceable for a person's well-being/mental health.

I don't have a job that involves flying. (I've been flown in from other provinces for job interviews. What shall one do about those situations?)

I've rarely flown for work. I think people all do their own life their own way.  If we had more transit that was readily available, we would take advantage of it.  It runs at odd times and it not placed ideally, here.

I hear Europe has excellent rail service.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

For play? Shoot maybe a couple of road trips a year, 1,500 miles maybe.  We usually travel to VA or now FL to visit family so our travel is more in the air than on the road.

I don’t drive for work anymore and my commute is 20 miles one way so I’m not on the road much these days and I live it.  I sure hope I can ride this job out to retirement... 

Our old job was about 20 miles a day.  We would ride it in decent weather and it was a hard day. 

The current location is perfect for us.  We can walk for everything in life, if we wished to. Hospital, work, food, and play within human limits.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Less than 10K total for both cars.  There is no public transportation here.  My travels to Rochester, Albany and New York City a couple of weeks ago were probably 1/5 of this years milage in just one week.

Commuting to work for womaxx is out of the question for age and health reasons.  I commute to work daily :whistle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

+30k in the truck. 

<5k in the van, even with g'young'un trips added in. 

I was waiting for you to chime in

I bought a new Volvo just short of 2 years ago. Have 47500 on the odometer. Less 2 months of shipping time from the motherland (Sweden)

2013 base-automatic Honda Fit, purchased new, Jan. 8, 2013.  Ever since, I've been keeping mileage records for fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov.

Year: Miles Driven, Mileage (miles/U.S. gallon)

2013: 7705, 30.3

2014: 9770, 30.9

2015: 9082, 30.8

2016: 5750, 30.1

2017: 6053, 29.2

2018: 4839: 28.3

The car isn't getting poorer mileage because of wear, it's that since 2015 I had hip, shoulder, and ankle problems that resulted in much less driving, mostly less expressway travel to hike, bike, swim, fish, etc.

My guess is I'll be closer to 9000 miles this year with a few out of state trips. If I do a Western tour that would put several thousand more miles on it.

The car is rated 35/28/31 hwy/city/combined, but that's wrong: it car gets an avg. 37 mpg driving mostly 75 mph on long, mostly expressway trips but only gets about 24 mpg in stop-and-go driving.

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think we are around 5000 miles. 

Yeah - 5k for me seems to be the norm now for me, but my wife is still in the 8-10k range.  I have ~155k on my almost 16 yr old Accord. I used to  put 10-15k/yr on it, but now have it down to 5k. Her car has ~145k (same age), and her rate has held steady over time. 

We take my bigger car on most trips together, so that's where most of the mile come from.  My car gets under 200 miles per year due to work commuting (too much ice or heavy downpour keeps me from riding to the Metro, so my wife will drop me there).

18 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

22k, mostly for work. :(

I use to be around that with around 19K tax deductible work related. Then I was better able to coordinate and organize scheduling into quadrants where I wasn't a ping pong ball all over the place and able to drop it to 16K with about 11K tax deductible. Sure my personal went up a bit...but working less because I wasn't driving from one end of the metro are to the other. Essentially, I use to schedule 'next available' but now, I may have earlier available but (silently) for your quadrant "my next available is Tuesday." For flexability if the are near and adjacent quadrant will offer mild overlap.

It also gave a secondary illusion where they think I am highly in demand. Previously - yeah, this afternoon or tomorrow, Now - suddenly booked 3 days out as next available.

WoD_P drive about 15K for work before retirement.  I drive about 3K for farm and marina related business. Going to sled dog, bike, camping, hiking and kayaking I drive another 8K to 10K.  So many of my events are in northern WI or the UP.  I guess we should move north. I suggested it by WoD_P doesn't like the idea.

Wife's 2012 Fiat just passed 18,000 miles. That is an average of 2571 miles per year. I take it in for an oil change or other work, line a new battery or repairing a nail in tire, and they are shocked when they see the mileage. Last oil change I fif myself as no longer in warranty. First time I have ever done one with a filter cannister where you just replace the new filter media in the old cannister.  Really messy.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally drive around 9000, though it's been much less the last few years because of my shoulder/ankle/hip problems that are, hopefully, all healed.

I keep detailed records as a volunteer for fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov.  My 2013 Honda Fit's rated mileage is 35 hwy/28 city/31 combined, but in reality for me it's about 37 hwy/24 city/30 combined - depending on the %age of local driving.  The fewer miles I drive means a higher-percentage of local, stop-and-go driving since my shopping, visiting friends, etc. are relatively constant.

Year: miles, mileage (measured by odometer/gallons pumped, not by car computer)

2013:: 7705, 30.34

2014: 9770, 30.90

2015: 9082, 30.75

2016: 5750, 30.01

2017: 6053, 29.20

2018: 4839, 28.26

2019: I'm guessing this will be 6000-9000 miles plus several thousand more if I do a cross-country vacation - which would push the avg. mpg closer to 33-34 mpg.

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I generally drive around 9000, though it's been much less the last few years because of my shoulder/ankle/hip problems that are, hopefully, all healed.

I keep detailed records as a volunteer for fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov.  My 2013 Honda Fit's rated mileage is 35 hwy/28 city/31 combined, but in reality for me it's about 37 hwy/24 city/30 combined - depending on the %age of local driving.  The fewer miles I drive means a higher-percentage of local, stop-and-go driving since my shopping, visiting friends, etc. are relatively constant.

Year: miles, mileage (measured by odometer/gallons pumped, not by car computer)

2013:: 7705, 30.34

2014: 9770, 30.90

2015: 9082, 30.75

2016: 5750, 30.01

2017: 6053, 29.20

2018: 4839, 28.26

2019: I'm guessing this will be 6000-9000 miles plus several thousand more if I do a cross-country vacation - which would push the avg. mpg closer to 33-34 mpg.

Mick - you're channeling your inner @jsharr!