We got snow -- and I'm sure hours and hours of media coverage

Dottleshead

It doesn't snow in Western Washington very often but it is today.  This is only the second day below freezing this winter and this time some of the white stuff.  But my understanding is it'll be warming up routinely over 32 degrees this week so its not going to be sticking around.  But our local news airways is going to be bombarded with it.  In fact, it's really funny.  I always think of you fine folks from the Midwest or East laughing your asses off.

So we have a light dusting so far and it's 35 degrees out... and dropping.  I expect maybe 2 inches by morning and I'm no dummy, I probably will play the Seattle snow game and stay home tomorrow.

Post your ridicule here, please.

Just now, Dottles said:

At what point do they close down the airport?

I'm not sure. I guess now it is technically closed since you can't get there. Maybe people arrived early enough to get on their flights.

It closed recently because a snowplow broke down on the runway. They had to reroute all flights for a few hours until they could get the plow off the runway. 

13 minutes ago, dennis said:

I'm not sure. I guess now it is technically closed since you can't get there. Maybe people arrived early enough to get on their flights.

It closed recently because a snowplow broke down on the runway. They had to reroute all flights for a few hours until they could get the plow off the runway. 

That would never happen in Hawaii!

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Keep in mind, I watched a Nova the other day on the Big Island's recent eruption.  Good stuff!  God's so happy with how Hawaii turned out, She keeps making more!

I plan on getting to the big island in the next couple of years, but I hear the vog is terrible.

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

At what point do they close down the airport?

Looks like it did close for a while today. The highway did reopen. I drove it before it closed and visibility was challenging. 

Anyone with a departing flight or expecting to pick up someone from an arrival should double-check the status of the flight. Everything departing this morning has been grounded at this point including three flights scheduled to take off in the seven o’clock hour.

US Highway 89 has been closed due to weather conditions so anyone stuck at the airport is truly stuck at the airport for now.

Airport all but closed at this point, no flights out this morning

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

@Page Turner: Are you getting these low temps?  I just saw radar showing the low is sweeping the northern half of your state.  If so, do you folks even have winter coats?  Oh or course you do.  Skiing.  Tahoe.

...snow levels down to 1500 feet tonight.  The snow level was at 7,000 feet as recently as the weekend.  Yes, it's a bit nippy in the colder air that just moved in here.

@Page Turner I also heard they got 6 ft of snow in 24 hours.  If so, with those storms having gone through and these coming in, I think you'll be able to water your orange grove liberally this summer.

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/2019-02-04-monthly-seasonal-daily-snowfall-records-united-states-of-america

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/i-80-blizzard-road-conditions-shut-down-tahoe-13587838.php

16 hours ago, dennis said:

Looks like it did close for a while today. The highway did reopen. I drove it before it closed and visibility was challenging. 

Anyone with a departing flight or expecting to pick up someone from an arrival should double-check the status of the flight. Everything departing this morning has been grounded at this point including three flights scheduled to take off in the seven o’clock hour.

US Highway 89 has been closed due to weather conditions so anyone stuck at the airport is truly stuck at the airport for now.

Airport all but closed at this point, no flights out this morning

13 hours ago, dennis said:

We do have the nicest airport in the country. Free mimosas and a fireplace. The library has a larger little free library there as well.

Alternative transportation in a snowstorm.

image.thumb.png.d4b4c1fdcaca51f676fc120095894b87.png

His form of transport seems to be doing better than the other forms

Jackson Hole Airport Webcam - South Parking Lot

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, dennis said:

If you are in the Jackson area, you are in a sweet place for sure!

We flew into the Jackson Hole airport once, and it was a "fun" ride, but I don't remember the library.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

His form of transport seems to be doing better than the other forms

Jackson Hole Airport Webcam - South Parking Lot

That doesn't look too bad, as it seems like the cars can be driven out after they clean the snow off of the vehicles.  That is a hell of a lot better than some of those scenes from the NE USA where the vehicles are buried after a storm when the snow plow passes.  Now you are going to tell me it doesn't snow on the east coast.? Jsharr, some of the scariest driving I've encountered was when driving from the panhandle of Texas to College Station with a group of  students, and having to drive through DFW.  I still remember people out pushing their vehicle on the highway around Vernon to get it going on the ice covered road way.?We were coming home from Casper, WY.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

That doesn't look too bad, as it seems like the cars can be driven out after they clean the snow off of the vehicles.  That is a hell of a lot better than some of those scenes from the NE USA where the vehicles are buried after a storm when the snow plow passes.  Now you are going to tell me it doesn't snow on the east coast.? Jsharr, some of the scariest driving I've encountered was when driving from the panhandle of Texas to College Station with a group of  students, and having to drive through DFW.  I still remember people out pushing their vehicle on the highway around Vernon to get it going on the ice covered road way.?We were coming home from Casper, WY.

We get ice storms and we do not have the equipment to deal with it so driving is treacherous at best and many have no idea how to drive on ice, let alone snow.  

47 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We get ice storms and we do not have the equipment to deal with it so driving is treacherous at best and many have no idea how to drive on ice, let alone snow.  

You would think Seattle would be better at driving in bad conditions but we're not.  They haven't invested in the equipment because it doesn't snow here enough to warrant it.  And we have hills.  Lots of hills.

It's time to call it the way it is.  Seattle is disgustingly infatuated with snow.  I am working from home today and my wife has the news on.  I've never heard such trivial shit being reported in all my life.  And it's been on all day.  And my wife is proof of the media insanity about snow.  Yes.  Yes.  We are getting another 9 inches tonight and yes we've never had this much snow in the month of February... I get it... it's an anomaly.  But this is sick.  There's nothing newsworthy here,.  I don't give a rats ass that an inch of snow is on the roadways and that it's slick underneath.  Duh.  Effing duh.  How many times do I have to hear that walking on snow and ice can be slippery.  OFMG.  I am going to Ralph.

Can anybody tell me what channel the snow coverage is on?  I don't want to miss anything.

I checked, but there was no snow here. Took this photo of Lake Eola and the Orlando skyline this morning for something else. Was 74F when I took it.

At least the cypress tree was brown after dropping all it's leaves. Spring must be close as I saw several swans had established nests.

Lake Eola - 2500px-4.jpg

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1