Why Do Folks Live Where It Gets to -8F and -24F Wind Chill?

Razors Edge

13 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

We use to have perfect summers...great temps in the 70's and 80's...very few days of heat and humidity...not so much now...

Lakes...and woods..

We've got lakes and woods.  Tennessee has lakes and woods.  Greenville, SC even has lakes and woods :D

So, two months of perfection was/is worth six months of hell?

30 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...especially when the same "things" can be done in less challenging environments?

Is it just human nature to want to make life harder for oneself? And how easy is too "easy"?  Hawaii seem too easy, but I'm willing to test my theory out for a while :D

You're right. This sucks.

oZgutiZtaAyi_O05IHbRsDdBH8Tx8zjM1HEJP1-Igoe4_quOcACdh5LI8rB0Yr2oDyBfE9BYEBGyb6WFIPLNAOWT6CsahI1PqsHVytwDjuE1taGOKxaj8PktLGJ1xygCfIp-g7ZcNo03UPbbM_VukzKDwh-508VmalQj4MCq7gCFpYbOZV7dujezpsWhilg17Nxlty_66dDAnDDV5DXYmDJSu8Pq9SQ9FjJBImpwa8OoV9b0oCIpBz-R0NWyvj2vR2EnOiyhp4Wadp-lJH2SloP6wCvUjeHV0TNXicb7BksJtTQIGwmlsVMP3AMCJ28rszrO_APatO-ZAWZ-8Ph8OP7kfhj8UPtHcdkyCAPeuN40bltcfPoGrPt7NR3IB30hFbQdrKsurC-get_EMrOrGe9aVn_sjRczYv0ppU9HGJYOCFEDl3Ey_O7gv1UDTaeZp3izTdiRgSeBb7MUitNtL5w-VCpI58EGhcEyWFdhcAX4QQr9gWpMzlw7LyKDcSdC84YeXhr7LTqj0AHGOiffJuydYqPlo4ZIXq8-KWc63D29SiDRI30FCP0mBbTECDpqzEmQyGwlbkHCZhS8fYI7QJ6fRpDXP3JqeOW2sTUNQVuC9ljKlCDqJgG8RVl0l_EsY0EXDrGYd-Jb8xX6seEoB8CrX_Ysaks=w1168-h657-no

oRfzSb0r9O9EX9_MZ7rI5Pj97L9jKGpaDTrqSO8Od5-IojMxtMEZgn_KpefQjqbIDuKvix_DNCg06csIoksyBbx66HgpgYGZNMch_kszupSC8ltvx-39o5GUBIHCNl8VthvrRlv8Rk3BRA3mymAPHVp6-tVlNjMCHLkTR8FMgqSWwy0Ysxs8qWHQNj5WmFhch9McyJfpkvUinhAlr96oct767ybiP_Qv91n5FTWoyDsJ1h8Gcd4nCZIJVVSpLvpDQuLtqARszZvB6aNrJwetRwrKAbEgAw5YH4X9NImSmkhfb8Yuz2NbLmVDoZmWM1hoqHMyfWrg4e3LtlheLc17AEa2rTKvgmG6AtobNe2PtEDzYmmhvVlbwxMNUayMirKgrstD4WQB6GLvDe_HBOeuBzkfKG3frDzGeBdqOgdUUBYWOVoXtTDPZbvyxOa5pe0_7UqVRq79k3-xDO4u8ltPj_Ul3V2Ys0ikVL7hiwppny-8fazob2lxUAjPD6102tIT9Y2_3BM5FCgCT1vW5tMib1T8YKktDrBxJEBuANUdyxBAFnu66v1Las5zaLFy1e-1XFQo4x1ZjiA2tdPQqrYv2nyD-cX3zGd7e_RHYtQrCZvA4BViRnIMYcckLhWqaAS90HgWRhvrlnrbn8yS3WZ_Hp1iewTCqYo=w1168-h657-no

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No one said "sucks".  Definitely not me.  Although -9 and -24 wind chill are pretty awful, so you need to find some  "reason" to put up with it (which was the question posed).

Surprise.........there are people in the world who think that living in the Greater Washington DC area is hell on earth.

• Awesome 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

No one said "sucks".  Definitely not me.  Although -9 and -24 wind chill are pretty awful, so you need to find some  "reason" to put up with it (which was the question posed).

Why are people so afraid of snow and cold temps?

Best skiing in the country. Fatbiking heaven. Nordic. Wildlife viewing opportunities, moose, elk, bears, mt lions, mt sheep, mt goats, wolves. It's pretty amazing if you give it a chance. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

Why are people so afraid of snow and cold temps?

Best skiing in the country. Fatbiking heaven. Nordic. Wildlife viewing opportunities, moose, elk, bears, mt lions, mt sheep, mt goats, wolves. It's pretty amazing if you give it a chance. 

I think it’s just a matter of what you are accustomed too. You have clearly adapted to the environment and enjoy the many wonderful winter sports available there.  Some don’t see it that way.

Just like how many Northerners complain about the heat of the southwest but those who have lived in it have adapted to the heat and find ways to enjoy or favorite activities in sweltering temps.  Oh and added many water sports!

I like the change of seasons. I think it would be boring to have same weather all the time. A lady in AZ tore up her knee same time I did. We talked a little. It was really weird to hear her say it wasn't bad in a way because they don't ride in the summer 'cuz it's too hot. WHAT????!! Ugh,  Does not compute....! I get to ride year round, just need different bikes. Yay for n+1!!

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...yeah.  Sometimes I miss the mosquitos.  Also, people are missing the larger picture.  Brutal weather keeps out the riffraff. 

I understand how that works in the country but why do people live in cities where it's cold? If you want to live in with a bunch of other people you can do that anywhere.

The cold weather isn't bad as long as there is no strong wind.  I was at camp Saturday at 20 degrees and told HoSmudge, "Man! You really don't need gloves when it's this warm!" Ha!

Ya, I just can't do hot weather. I can do 80 degrees if the air is super dry, but that's about it. And don't tell me I'd get used to it. I'm not interested. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ya, I just can't do hot weather. I can do 80 degrees if the air is super dry, but that's about it. And don't tell me I'd get used to it. I'm not interested. 

"...but it's a dry heat."  That's what we say to each other here in Sacramento when it hits anything above 100*.  This is the Central Valley equivalent of living in MN , the high for the day is -5*, and saying "Sure it's cold. But there are no poisonous snakes." :)  

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I understand how that works in the country but why do people live in cities where it's cold? If you want to live in with a bunch of other people you can do that anywhere.

...I have this theory that the cities in really cold places just happened because of geography and economics.  Once it got rolling, the jobs and money were located there.  So a lot of folks who live in cold cities are simply prisoners of career.

I think I got this idea when all my NYC relatives retired to Florida. :)

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I'd pick a few months of cold over a few months of life-sucking 100 plus degree heat.

And high humidity

I came here to work and stayed.  Like the lack of people, humidity, fire ants, traffic, etc. We've lived a few places in Texas, Colorado, South Dakota, Oregon, Arizona, and Montana. It is not like we are not aware of other places. Besides the temperature is suppose to drop to -20F on Wednesday night, and yes that is temperature not windchill.  Stay away, you would not like it here.:whistle:

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, smudge said:

I like the change of seasons. I think it would be boring to have same weather all the time. A lady in AZ tore up her knee same time I did. We talked a little. It was really weird to hear her say it wasn't bad in a way because they don't ride in the summer 'cuz it's too hot. WHAT????!! Ugh,  Does not compute....! I get to ride year round, just need different bikes. Yay for n+1!!

Lack of seasons was a hard adjustment for my wife too.  That and no trees...

I was in AZ for a baseball tournament a couple of summers ago and the locals said it’s pretty much like the Northeast in reverse. They stay inside June, July & August as it’s just too freaking hot to do anything outside.

10 minutes ago, dennis said:

The fear of cold keeps those from Reston, VA away. Shorter lift lines at ski resort.

Oh no it doesn't!  We're called vacationers :)  We come there for the skiing and then leave - best of both worlds for both you and me!  Good news for me is that my neighbors now have a home in Silverthorne CO, so we can skedaddle out there to ski Keystone, Breck, Copper Mtn, or other resorts easily.  Then, return east to cozy Reston!

See, I like "skiing" temps when I want to ski, and I like "swimming" temps when I want to swim (looking at you @Longjohn!). I like cycling temps when I want to ride and hiking temps when I want to hike.  Reston has relatively pleasant winters, and I am pretty acclimatized to hotter summers, but the spring & fall are both wonderful.  

But, I'm always open to living in other places, but seemingly consistent negative winter temps don't carry any upside I can think of.  0*-30* would keep snow on the ground, so why do I need negative temps??? I liked the PNW when I lived there - almost no crazy winter temps and moderate summer temps, and reasonable natural resources to enjoy. I think I would most struggle with an arid environment vs a four seasons sort of thing or a tropical clime like Hawaii. And Alaska's winter darkness would kill me.

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:
1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I'd pick a few months of cold over a few months of life-sucking 100 plus degree heat.

This.

Somehow, though, the far South of the US seems to be growing faster than the far Northern parts.  I blame sedentary lifestyles and AC, but it has to be more than that. 

Somehow, though, the far South of the US seems to be growing faster than the far Northern parts.  I blame sedentary lifestyles and AC, but it has to be more than that. 

Of all the states East, I could live in southern Virginia or possibly North Carolina.  But even then those mid-Altantic humidity states probably wouldn't cut the mustard.  It's oppressive.

Just now, Dottles said:

Of all the states East, I could live in southern Virginia or possibly North Carolina.  But even then those mid-Altantic humidity states probably wouldn't cut the mustard.  It's oppressive.

Probably the NW of SC and the SW of NC would work for you more than southern VA. SW VA gets a little too much like KY and TN (without the good hooch).

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Probably the NW of SC and the SW of NC would work for you more than southern VA. SW VA gets a little too much like KY and TN (without the good hooch).

I never realized how conservative the state of Virginia was outside of D.C.  I mean, yes, out in the country but man, those folks don't get out much.  

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...especially when the same "things" can be done in less challenging environments?

Is it just human nature to want to make life harder for oneself? And how easy is too "easy"?  Hawaii seem too easy, but I'm willing to test my theory out for a while :D

We don't view it as a challenge.  This is really our first cold spell of the year, and hopefully it will only last a week. It is nice that weather reporting and forecasting have advanced to the current level, as it helps one plan ahead. So far we've not had any weather in Montana as severe as the weather we had in eastern South Dakota in winter 1968, with chill factors of -64F. As I mentioned before, I came here to work on a very nice Experiment Station and stayed in the area.  Working here was one of the best parts of my career. Luckily we are retired and do not have to go to town each day.  We even cancel appointments if the weather is too severe, and we dress for the conditions with layers and insulated coats and overalls. As for beautiful places, we cannot afford a place in the mountains, and we are not skiers or mountain/fat bike riders.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Why would you hold a grudge against AC in the south.  Do you go without heat to prove how tough you are? 

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

You like many others seem to think AC in the south is some sort of luxury to condemn.  In your words you "blamed" it 

No - the truth is that AC is awesome, but it has condemned the south to swarms of people moving there!  Think how @jsharr feels every time some Yankee moves to Texas! That is the fault of AC (despite AC's awesomeness!).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No - the truth is that AC is awesome, but it has condemned the south to swarms of people moving there!  Think how @jsharr feels every time some Yankee moves to Texas! That is the fault of AC (despite AC's awesomeness!).

And heat does nothing for the north?  That's just parochial thinking.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

AC is one's choice, and some have it and some don't.  We've not run AC for any length of time for a very long time. We used an evaporative cooler when living in Tucson.

Don't stir up, Maxx! He may have Carrier stock!

• Haha 1

Don't stir up, Maxx! He may have Carrier stock!

Parochial:

having a limited or narrow outlook or scope.
"this worldview seems incredibly naive and parochial"
synonyms: narrow-minded, small-minded, provincial, insular, narrow, small-town, inward-looking, limited, restricted, localist, conservative, conventional, short-sighted, petty, close-minded, blinkered, myopic, introverted, illiberal, hidebound, intolerant; More

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The NY Governor blamed weather as a reason for population decline,  but most people I know who want to move, generally want to move for a cheaper cost of living.  Most of the Northeast is a high tax region, and people who are retired and living on a fixed income can usually pocket some nice money if they sell their houses in NY and move to Florida.  Housing is cheaper, taxes are lower and the overall cost of living is less.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Parochial:

having a limited or narrow outlook or scope.
"this worldview seems incredibly naive and parochial"
synonyms: narrow-minded, small-minded, provincial, insular, narrow, small-town, inward-looking, limited, restricted, localist, conservative, conventional, short-sighted, petty, close-minded, blinkered, myopic, introverted, illiberal, hidebound, intolerant; More

dolt is so much easier to type.