Why Do Folks Live Where It Gets to -8F and -24F Wind Chill?

Razors Edge

Personally, if I didn't have lots of family and friends in Maryland, I'd permanently move to somewhere warm all year - though I'd miss the seasons a little: and the cold makes you appreciate warm weather more.  Today, I walked Goldendoodle Jake for a few miles and didn't need a coat - the temperature was 54F, sunny, no wind, and I'm acclimatized to winter.  What a great day for early February - it's supposed to hit 60F tomorrow.

Originally, tribes fled raiders and conquerors or, finding greater safety and sometimes better food availability in cold, hot, swampy, desert, etc. climates.  Then their offspring got used to it and multiplied there.

For example,  small towns fleeing Hannibal's invasion of northern Italy reached a swampy place where no one wanted to settle and where Hannibal's troops wouldn't follow and founded a town they named "I came this far" (running from Hannibal). Their descendants continued to live there, thinking all the mosquitoes, etc. were normal.  Of course, students of Julius Caesar know "I came" is "Vene" in Latin, and today the town still bears a corrupted version of that original name, Venezia or, in English, Venice.

Note that those who didn't try to conquer Scandinavia, Mongolia, Siberia, the Sahara Desert, and similar places include Pharoah Thutmose III, the Hittites, the Spartans, the Babylonians, the Persians, Alexander the Great, Chin Chuan who first united Zhongguo ("Central Country") - but which we call "China" after that first emperor, the Roman Legions, and Napoleon.

Those bastards wiped out huge numbers of people, but didn't lay a finger on the Swedes, Mongols, Tuaregs, Berbers, Eskimos, etc.

When people who adapted to those climates over generations emigrated, they looked for similar climates, so Minnesota got a lot of Scandinavians, etc.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Razors Edge said:

...especially when the same "things" can be done in less challenging environments?

Is it just human nature to want to make life harder for oneself? And how easy is too "easy"?  Hawaii seem too easy, but I'm willing to test my theory out for a while :D

Right now it's -27 degrees C with -35 degrees C wind chill.  The only saving grace is prairie air tends to be drier than eastern/central Canada (and northeastern U.S.). I do know since I lived in southern Ontario for lst 40+ yrs. of life.  Then went snowshoeing often in British Columbian mountains  when I lived in Vancouver for 8 yrs.....where often it's -10 degrees C  in mountains with more humid air (and hence, slightly stickier snow).

It is bright and sunny with all this cold.  We've had to scale back on what we do today because of extreme cold. One has to wear scarf to prevent face frostbite.

So we're going to take LRT, see a movie, then grocery shop and stop by cafe.  It makes a huge difference to live close to all this rather than in  some (not all) car-bound suburbs.  We haven't had this deep freeze until for past 4 days which will continue for next 4 days or so.

We do live 100 km. east of famed and beautiful Rocky Mtns.  But it does cost money to go to those areas frequently during winter. Most locals I know might go at most 4-5 times per winter.  Many go only 1-3 times annually if that.  So what dennis shows in his area...is like a fantasy to us because we don't live right next door to the winter wonderland wildnerness.

I enjoy snowshoeing, hiking up to -18 degrees C. in winter wilderness and walking around in city.  After that it does get harder to stay outdoors beyond 2 hrs.  Winter is actually lovely...it just needs the right level of cold.

I am a 4 season lover.  I could not live a place that was sunny, tropical for 4 seasons...might be bored abit. ?  I've never gone anywhere tropical for Christmas.  A huge part of me will always want snow in Dec.

• Heart 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, Razors Edge said:

I think I would most struggle with an arid environment vs a four seasons sort of thing or a tropical clime like Hawaii. 

If you don't like Hawaii's climate, drive 60 minutes. You'll either find yourself in a rain forest, a lava desert, a beach, or a mountain top. I find it difficult to argue with the islands' offerings.

I would rather winter in Colorado than DC, and certainly rather summer there, too. My job has me stationed where I am currently, but as I said previously, if my kids scatter after college, we're moving. And I don't think my winter is much worse than in DC, and summers in PGH are much less humid than DC. And I go to the Lake, which takes another 10 degrees off the hottest summer days.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, dennis said:

Why are people so afraid of snow and cold temps?

Best skiing in the country. Fatbiking heaven. Nordic. Wildlife viewing opportunities, moose, elk, bears, mt lions, mt sheep, mt goats, wolves. It's pretty amazing if you give it a chance. 

It's nice to say this...but people in southern Ontario don't have elk or bighorn wild sheep, long haired white mountain goats to see in winter. Wild bears do exist but not in as great frequency as in western Alberta nor in British Columbia. 

Each winter region in North America has its strengths.  Ontario and Quebec produce maple syrup because those maple  trees exist....not in Alberta nor in British Columbia. I didn't know that until I lived  these 3 regions of Canada.

What I would find very tough is to live in a arid, desert like area with lack of large leafy trees....regardless of temperatures.  The hardest part for me in the prairies when we go for long bike ride in certain areas, is the lack of any tree cover or just seeing trees instead of brush/bushes. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, Razors Edge said:

No one said "sucks".  Definitely not me.  Although -9 and -24 wind chill are pretty awful, so you need to find some  "reason" to put up with it (which was the question posed).

I live where I've been for past few years....because of a job.  

What is very interesting is meeting long time locals if they have some money...they will buy a 2nd home or relocate for retirement outside of Alberta.  Many head to British Columbia, etc.  Some go to Arizona (which I have no interest ..at all. Sorry.)  So the big message:  if they have money they will go outside of province.

Our son sort of put it into perspective. When someone asked him how he could stand the heat and humidity after he moved down south from Wisconsin. He said he dealt with the same in both locations. He'd start the car ahead of time and set the climate control before he drove away, and hurry between the car and store.

I'm guessing at some point if we can retire, we'll move somewhere warmer. But until then, we're still making memories. :)

IMG_0475.JPG

• Heart 3

11 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Did you even read my post?

Does it matter?  :D  FWIW, though, I didn't see an answer to the question.

I liked your photo. I liked Dennis' photo.  Heck, I love skiing and sitting in a cabin by a fireplace sipping hot chocolate.

But then winter comes, and 1% of my life is skiing and relaxing by the fire, and 99% is hoping for a nice warm, rainy evening to clear the slush and black ice so I can get on enjoying my routine - safely.

I will, say, maybe my time in the south has made me heat tolerant more so than cold tolerant.  As a kid, snow days were great and being cold was usually accompanied by snowball fights or a toboggan ride down nearby hills. And longer days mean after work sunlight(!) which is huge to me.

I am heading out to feed at 4:00PM MST, and the temperature is 0F with -13F wind chill.  Some of you would not like this, but to each their own.  We'll be out for an hour or so. We are enjoying the fact there is adequate light to work after 5:00pm.  We normally really start noticing the difference in day length about this time of the year.

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

For every cute family photo or awesome back-country ski pic, my mind always circles back to:

image.png.92828d956b605776c66b6c421fb470fd.png

image.thumb.png.cdf7d6e9a7c367a68e12fa504ede702a.png

image.png.a6d6b10eda611529e1b7b1694b1bd890.png

Not seen these types of conditions very often and not where we have lived.  Snow and ice are pretty gross where there is a lot of traffic and no snow removal equipment.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

To give you a serious answer, I like winter. I can't imagine living somewhere that doesn't have snow for a good part of the year. Today I rode my fatbike in a national forest and nordic skied in a national park. Tomorrow I might downhill ski at the #1 ski resort in the country. I can do this all winter long, not just occasionally while on vacation. In the warmer months, I can roll out my front door to mt bike trail one block away. I ride my road bike to two national parks. During the month of April, the park is ours exclusively. No cars. Climbing, hiking, biking, skiing are hard to beat here.

How often do you get to do these things? Living in suburbia would drive me crazy. To each his own, but being close to a Costco does nothing for me. 

CHdZWRo3_C1t8ghKfMu8DDPiRY0VVbuazCwNbysOGWihfKXzuNVRToCCZTiu7lMlrKMyxR4BhHle86OfBkzsrTlhcjbuTDPfLWTKrPg9aiN48JSuv5CvcE8Dl06m3Wnfr2KvmdJAEKouazdNo1VqQe3-B7mR3uTdFOOozvJP5rbdHyNvq0dJByi_kbs4G0CfSJV7WtVUtLHyVq0r5IUJObUNHWVPFU5nBII-29THPFjX3aakE5MNikwzBBV9eSOXZcI4wRz08ZaXw721mzSHNB_TyN065Tvn4kaokjGQyFfQWfTt2O8MpVyCLZ1b_korrGkoyZ3fxniNSGu_7Ox4QSWjEHiAFEdhJWgO5IkcQKal6SZqWqvIgi7o-1MYMmOi_nXJIq5HS6exAGX7Taa0TSabNLNpPQHfgSc3kxHNnSkINL-5EyH-QvVEJDNo3xE6u4bKfge_ReVCgNMegVoAnH-Z2rji6g0Dd-wVMhz0yhNpcoGOZ8aHkrGk7MqfRVgzjJcQtw-Hr5u27fRq1YmkPSbBXdYPyXek4O3zZESRXhibwPoKklYCt-DMIbjkEQjCTrUiBMbIkZcOm12BuBDcjNrsW4HqUbLYmOkLDPrfrAecec-pwniXWlVuZgvWCQbnmnXAyriC4T8MrVMeeFRR-_2HiFzl7Ys=w1366-h325-no

Dennis there is an inherent reality for a sizable population (more than many people here in this forum may know in real life)  who don't drive....it's better to live near urban amenities and good public transportation to wilderness areas about 100 km. away.

The towns of Banff inside national park of Banff and CAnmore which is about 23 km. east of Banff, are aggressively expanding their local bus transit for both locals (many who work in lower wage service/tourist industry) and for tourists to get between these 2 towns, plus 50 km. north to famed Lake Louise area. The federal govn't Parks Canada has expanded their bus shuttles to Lake Moraine and Johnston Canyon during summer to early fall to reduce car emissions, car congestion.  This has all been growing in past 3 yrs.  

It is the same thing living in Vancouver....there are multiple buses that run daily between city and ski resort Whistler (which gets less snow than Banff/Lake Louise) 100 km. north.  Sure Vancouverites living downtown within 15 min. walk of transit, shops, services, can go snowboarding/snowshoeing or skiing by taking a municipal bus to foot of Grouse Mt. etc. and take gondola, etc.  

Don't knock places in the world where it is possible to have options without compromising on accessibility to services and outdoor (wilderness) activities.

For myself personally, I would not want to live year round in a mountain resort town.  The snow hangs around those areas too long, then it's too muddy in spring to go hiking for quite awhile and for me, towns too small.

14 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Dennis there is an inherent reality for a sizable population (more than many people here in this forum may know in real life)  who don't drive....it's better to live near urban amenities and good public transportation to wilderness areas about 100 km. away.

The towns of Banff inside national park of Banff and CAnmore which is about 23 km. east of Banff, are aggressively expanding their local bus transit for both locals (many who work in lower wage service/tourist industry) and for tourists to get between these 2 towns, plus 50 km. north to famed Lake Louise area. The federal govn't Parks Canada has expanded their bus shuttles to Lake Moraine and Johnston Canyon during summer to early fall to reduce car emissions, car congestion.  This has all been growing in past 3 yrs.  

It is the same thing living in Vancouver....there are multiple buses that run daily between city and ski resort Whistler (which gets less snow than Banff/Lake Louise) 100 km. north.  Sure Vancouverites living downtown within 15 min. walk of transit, shops, services, can go snowboarding/snowshoeing or skiing by taking a municipal bus to foot of Grouse Mt. etc. and take gondola, etc.  

Don't knock places in the world where it is possible to have options without compromising on accessibility to services and outdoor (wilderness) activities.

For myself personally, I would not want to live year round in a mountain resort town.  The snow hangs around those areas too long, then it's too muddy in spring to go hiking for quite awhile and for me, towns too small.

I did not knock places in the world where it is possible to have options without compromising on accessibility to services and outdoor (wilderness) activities. I did not. I said I would not like suburbia. That is a fact. I would not like it. 

I'm not asking you or anyone to live year round in a mountain town. I am not. Another fact. 

We have a bus system here. I use it. I walk or ride my bike to the grocery store. I walk or bike to work and take care of most of my business. These are facts. 

Razor's Edge asked a question. I gave him my answer. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

For every cute family photo or awesome back-country ski pic, my mind always circles back to:

Do you also imagine such consequences are present in Northern Norway, etc.? Adaptation is more complete for those civilizations.

The answer to the original question of why people seek out and adapt to harsh environments is an answer which has followed humanity since its inception. Think about it, man! Think about it.

52 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Do you also imagine such consequences are present in Northern Norway, etc.? Adaptation is more complete for those civilizations.

The answer to the original question of why people seek out and adapt to harsh environments is an answer which has followed humanity since its inception. Think about it, man! Think about it.

Because it’s there!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Because it’s there!

Yup (but that's not the reason I am where I am).  Meanwhile right now it's -30 C, with -39 C with wind chill, @ 75% humidity. ?  Yesterday was very quiet downtown...hardly anyone walking around.  At this type of super cold temperature, we would never go snowshoeing in the wilderness.

I was trying to figure out how to wear a my scarf balaklava without my breath freezing around my scarf and face. ?  I was getting ice crystals with my breath.