Corn Syrup????

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did that ad make sense to anyone? How is corn syrup in beer? What the dealio?

And was it just me, or was that a big shot across couple competitors' bows?

Not sure what you are talking about, but wtf puts corn syrup in beer?

Water, grain(malted barley or wheat), hops, and yeast are the basics.

Bud Light was playing dirty it appears.  Corn Syrup is glucose.  High Fructose Corn Syrup contains, you guessed it, fructose and glucose.

But none of it matters, as the sugars are eaten up in the fermentation process.

We asked Chris Mohr, Ph.D., R.D., one of Men's Health's nutrition advisors, whether corn syrup in beer is bad for you. The answer? It doesn't matter whether your beer contains corn syrup, because those refined sugars are eliminated in the fermentation process anyway.

"Sugar is used in the brewing process to feed the yeast as part of the fermentation, so the sweetener used for brewing beer is a moot point since the finished product does not have sugar," Mohr says.

In short, it's no big deal if the sweetener is coming from corn syrup or milk sugars or Gisele's tears of joy if no residual sugars are left after fermentation.

"Rather than being concerned are arguing about the type of sweetener used to brew beer, worry about how much beer you're drinking," says Mohr.

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

"Sugar is used in the brewing process to feed the yeast as part of the fermentation, so the sweetener used for brewing beer is a moot point since the finished product does not have sugar," Mohr says.

Is it just "light" beers that need sugar?  I don't remember an "add sugar" step in my small sampling of brewery tours, but maybe I wasn't paying attention (or sober) at the time.

This site claims the "wort" is sugary and feeds the yeast.

"To start the fermentation, yeast is added during the filling of the vessel. Yeast converts the sugary wort into beer by producing alcohol, a wide range of flavors, and carbon dioxide (used later in the process to give the beer its sparkle)."

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is it just "light" beers that need sugar?  I don't remember an "add sugar" step in my small sampling of brewery tours, but maybe I wasn't paying attention (or sober) at the time.

apparently adding sugar in some form other than barley is not uncommon, esp to boost alcohol content.  I do not drink much beer, but I did a bit of googling.

A bit more googling suggests that dextrose (corn syrup) is used as a priming agent during bottling to insure carbonation.

• Awesome 1

It's a crappy way to get the alcohol content up when your mash is low in sufficient sugars. I saw the commercial and thought, "Geez, why do they have to F up a perfectly natural process?" No wonder their beers taste like crap compared to mine..... or any other craft beer/ homebrew! bleh!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, smudge said:

It's a crappy way to get the alcohol content up when your mash is low in sufficient sugars. I saw the commercial and thought, "Geez, why do they have to F up a perfectly natural process?" No wonder their beers taste like crap compared to mine..... or any other craft beer/ homebrew! bleh!

this.  And corn syrup is the best of the crap and chemicals they put in that water they sell as "beer".

Then there's Dogfish Head Beer for Breakfast Stout.  With Maple Syrup.  Not for alcohol, because it goes with the Scrapple in the beer,

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Budweiser doesn't use corn syrup; however, they do use rice in Bud and Bud Light.

They actually admitted it on the commercial last night. Not that it's a secret that they use rice; but I certainly wouldn't be stating it during a Super Bowl commercial! blech!

On 2/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, Razors Edge said:

Did that ad make sense to anyone? How is corn syrup in beer? What the dealio?

And was it just me, or was that a big shot across a couple competitors' bows?

Corn syrup is used in some brands of beer instead of cane sugar in fermenting the alcohol and virtually NONE of it remains when beer is bottled.

There is no proof that corn syrup is worse for people than cane sugar, though there are claims it is sweeter and more addicting.

However, since it's almost all turned into alcohol, it really doesn't matter much what kind of sugar is used since all the alcohol produced from it is ethanol: CH3CH2OH, drinking alcohol.

• Awesome 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:12 PM, late said:

200.gifWhen I was making beer, I wound up making barley wine. I used both 2 kinds of yeast that had high alcohol tolerance. I used 2 cans of imported syrup (one light and one red) and about a half pound of barley powder.

Syrup? Fuck that shit. Whole grain. I think I used 22 pounds of it for a barley wine.

Now, I don’t have time for home brewing. Fortunately, the beer market has improved so that there is stuff worth buying.

59 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Syrup? Fuck that shit. Whole grain. I think I used 22 pounds of it for a barley wine.

Now, I don’t have time for home brewing. Fortunately, the beer market has improved so that there is stuff worth buying.

The imported stuff was ok, and I actually preferred it for a high alky brew. I wanted it to be more like wine than porter.

• Heart 1