I went for a hike today

maddmaxx

I was just out in the back yard placing the trail camera for tonight's shooting.  I had to circle all the way around the yard to get there as there is standing surface water.  Much of the grass back there is dead (drowned) and trampled by deer hooves.  Something strange has happened.  Last year I had a run of moles, probably because I planted so much new grass.  I looks like the very wet year plus extreme cold freeze weather for a few short days at a time damaged the mole tunnels.  Part of the yard is now lined with furrows where the tops of the tunnels caved in.

It's been a very strange winter so far with short periods of extreme cold followed by short periods of hot, usually accompanied by rain.  Not much snow, but a lot of water.

The edge of the roads are horrible right now. The country roads where I live don’t have much traffic but wouldn’t you know a lady was walking her dog on the road yesterday and here comes a car the other direction. It looked like we were going to get to the lady at the same time so I slowed way down to let the other car get passed so I could move over to the other lane. But then they slowed down. I was about to stop and wait when the lady and her dog climbed over the snow bank to get out of the way. She didn’t need to do that, we were going to wait. I was glad they didn’t break through the snow and fall in the ditch. That was the only car I saw on that road. Must be Murphy’s law.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I went out again today.......and grilled hot dogs for lunch.  This qualifies as the February thaw.  Freezing rain coming after the 60 of today.

mmmm hot dogs.

Though we prefer the cheddar smoked sausages to hot dogs these days.  We always keep a pack or two in the camper during camping season.  

22 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

First of the year.  I had to stay on the roads though because everything else is a sea of mud.  The freeze, warm, freeze, warm "winter" so far along with all the rain when it's not freezing has really wet this area down.  There are standing puddles everywhere.

Did your car vehicle break down?