One Two punch and then the weekend cool down!

petitepedal

:frantics: I am thinking it was a good 4 inches of snow yesterday..it snowed most of the day..I even checked with my stylist as to if she wanted to cancel (she has moved to a burb..and I know I was her last client)..Anyway told her if the drive to the salon wasn't bad...I would be in (it is more or less on my way home)...

Got home about 8 pm...and our condo snow service came about 8:15...thankfully, I had made it up the hill an into the garage (surprising, because of the ice layer from Sunday night)

NOW...5 to 6 inches tonight :frantics: Thankfully starting about 7 (or 6...or 5 :dontknow:)  So Thursday's drive in will be oh such fun!!

Then...-5 for the weekend...oh and that is the high :whistle:

I wish we had this weather at Christmas :wacko:  

• Heart 1

It used to be that snow is so variable in Central Maryland, rare years with more snow than Juneau, Alaska but more often only a few snows more than a few inches, that is was considered a waste of money to maintain large fleets of snow plows, etc. and on the occasions where we got 6" of snow, people had to be patient for a day or two until the plows reached the side streets.  If we got more than a foot of snow, everything was shut down for a week.

Then I went to graduate school at IIT in Chicago in 1973 and was amazed they even had small snow plows for the sidewalks.

Now, I guess the modern requirements of the economy mean you've got to be up and running ASAP, so we've got plows shoveling even the minor side streets the same day as the snow.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Then I went to graduate school at IIT in Chicago in 1973 and was amazed they even had small snow plows for the sidewalks.

Now, I guess the modern requirements of the economy mean you've got to be up and running ASAP, so we've got plows shoveling even the minor side streets the same day as the snow.

In Chicago, mayoral campaigns have been won or lost on how well the snow was cleaned up the previous winter.

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Now, I guess the modern requirements of the economy mean you've got to be up and running ASAP

There were statements by gov't officials a few years ago how they had adopted a 'dry pavement' objective. In other words, they were looking at treating and cleaning all roads to achieve dry pavement in the shortest time frame. Then budget constraints hit and quite a few things changed. Now they adopt a smarter plan with more versatile equipment and effective chemical applications. Primary arteries are cleared ASAP but side streets are only made passable with intersections treated. I'm glad they got smart. It's much cheaper. Just this year, the operators have stopped pumping snow up onto our sidewalks. Simple fix, tilt the blade differently. 

geta_get_smart_GET_SMART_SEASON1_DISC4-1

• Awesome 1

Just spent 20 minutes chipping an inch of ice off my whole car. With my luck, if I left the ice on the hood, roof and rear deck it would all blow off and take out someone's windshield. I think I'll wait until after tomorrow's ice storm and pull my truck into the garage, unbury the heater, and fire it up to 80 degrees. Anyone want the nordictrack treadmill my wife inherited that has been sitting unused, blocking my garage heater? Its been there for over a year now because its just too dang big and heavy to drag down into the basement? :angry: 

We were supposed to have more rain this weekend but it looks like the storm is going to miss us. Maybe we’ll get a ride in!  More rain is forecast for later next week tho.

I saw a news report that the avg rainfall from Oct to Jan in the LA basin is 5 inches and we have already had 12 inches not counting the last storm with more in the way.  It’s been a nice wet year!

Freezing rain here again. Roads, driveways and walks are sheer ice. I wouldn't let my wife leave for work, so she's working from home. Haven't seen a car on the road all morning, not even the salt truck. The schools that aren't closed are delayed two hours again. My downspouts are frozen from yesterday's weather so I have a waterfall flowing at my front door that will probably cause the front stoop to sink in the future. Meanwhile, as I'm throwing down ice melter on my driveway, to young girls from some church group were making their way up the road, ringing doorbells, handing out pamphlets. I asked them who in their right flipping mind would send them out in such dangerous conditions? "Our school was closed and we knew many people would be home due to the weather". <_<

I have a huge azz snow thrower with a hemi in it. I would much rather have a fresh foot or two of snow than this. :(

Temps dropped 45 degrees overnight. Its three degrees as I type. These fluctuating temperatures can not be good for anything. The house has been making loud banging noises all night. The house shakes and sounds like a car crashing into it. It woke us up last night, so I went outside at 2am with a flashlight to check. Then got startled when all the surrounding houses were making the same noises but even louder.  :dontknow: