How shall the future judge us?

12string

Let's try REAL hard not to send this to P&R, but it does start with a politician.  I'm not accusing or defending, just wondering how we got to this point.

Virginia Governor, in blackface, now the Virginia AG says there's pictures of him, in High School, in the 80's, at a costume party as a rapper wearing a wig and black makeup.

What's the statue of limitations? 

Back in the minstrel heyday, black face was intended to be funny by it's mockery.  There was a specific method to the entire routine.  It was offensive, it was intended to be.

The governor's costume - that was a minstrel blackface costume, standing next to a KKK costume.  Yeah, that was wrong even then.

In the 80's, if you were dressing as a rapper, of course you would wear wig and black makeup.  Culture was different, it really wasn't seen as offensive (unless offense was intended).  That's not "blackface"

What are we doing today, that 30 years from now will be the offense du jour?  We may think something we do now is innocent.  Today......

And another question:  we can avoid this by making sure that if you're white, you only go to costume parties as white characters.  Same for black, oriental, Latino.... is THAT racist?

I was just discussing this with a friend. I believe that the goalposts will keep moving as doing so empowers certain groups. Photos of me eating that thick juicy steak or driving that gas-guzzler will probably be used to shame me 30 years from now. Of course I'll be dead or at least too old to give a sheot.

Speaking of steaks, I firmly believe that 20,000 years from now people will look back in horror that we ate other creatures.

Abortion will probably drop jaws like the Holocaust does for us some time in the distant future. 

• Awesome 1

I believe that the Winklevoss twins, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Systrom and others are the first wave of Alien invaders.  They have succesfully used their evil off world technology "social medai"  to corrupt and weaken our soceity and they will soon take over our planets and use the fires from our global war to heat their failing dark star.

• Haha 2

While a minority is getting assimilated, they fight like mad to avoid losing their newfound status. Back in the 70s, it was the Italians, and it seemed like they were whining constantly. They complained about everything.

Now it's the Blacks defending their turf.

I doubt the future is all that predictable. Anyone predict a Black president? I sure as hell didn't. How about gay marriage? Libertarians being tolerated? William F Buckley used to mock them on national tv.

5 minutes ago, late said:

While a minority is getting assimilated, they fight like mad to avoid losing their newfound status. Back in the 70s, it was the Italians, and it seemed like they were whining constantly. They complained about everything.

Now it's the Blacks defending their turf.

I doubt the future is all that predictable. Anyone predict a Black president? I sure as hell didn't. How about gay marriage? Libertarians being tolerated? William F Buckley used to mock them on national tv.

Caitlyn Jenner will be our first Asian Female President of NAFTAmerica.  William F Buckley's reincarnated body will be her Vice President.

25 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Most of what passes as outrage today is political opportunism.  Take Roseanne for instance. Do you really think that one person was hurt or offended by her comments? It was just a chance to make a character assassination.

Ah, the tyranny of the continually outraged/offended.

• Heart 1

Re. the blackface. I went to college in the 70's. Wild time, even at an engineering school (the teachers' school was across the river)

Had some heavy duty partying friends after college. And the TKD folks had an annual Halloween party that was legendary (including a real casket to keep the beer cold).

I've never personally seen anyone in blackface. Ever.

• 4 years later...

We, friends and family, had a discussion at Memorial Day pool party about current social mores being applied to people in other time periods and decided it's clearly wrong.

And it's applied selectively!  There are ancient political and religious heroes who are not condemned for doing things people are condemned for doing who had the same lack-of-information did 200 years ago.

In the future, if out-of-marriage sex is deemed awful, they'll have to erase the names of many people held to high esteem today.

When the USA has a 900M population, is short of resources, and most USA inhabitants then are not related to anyone in the USA now, what will the descendants of those here now say about immigration policies in the late 1900's and early 2000's?