Anyone here born in 1941 or 1943?

JerrySTL

If so, I have 5¢ for you. I recently found two nickels with those dates. Both are in fair condition. The 1943 looks somewhat strange as it has a large P mint mark on top of Monticello on the reverse instead of the side of it. It also has some silver in it so it looks different all over. 

I also found a 1954 but that's my birth year so I'm keeping it.

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

If so, I have 5¢ for you. I recently found two nickels with those dates. Both are in fair condition. The 1943 looks somewhat strange as it has a large P mint mark on top of Monticello on the reverse instead of the side of it. It also has some silver in it so it looks different all over. 

I also found a 1954 but that's my birth year so I'm keeping it.

Are you a coin collector?  When I was cleaning out my father in law’s office I stumbled on an old leather suitcase. I just figured it was an old empty suitcase like all the other ones we found in the house. This one was heavy. I opened it up and it was full of old coins, mostly proof sets. I checked some eBay prices and estimated a couple thousand dollars worth anyway. What would be the best way to cash those in?

I use to be an avid coin collector and still look through my change for 'wheaties', older coins (especially those with silver in them), plus the newer quarters. 2019 really starts for me when I see the first 2019 coin. I also get the annual proof and uncirculated sets.

Going to a coin dealer can be hit or miss. Few will take the time to look at every coin and most likely would just make you an offer for everything. They might even price things just for the value of any silver or gold. There's always the chance that there's a coin that's worth more than the offer by itself. Still that's the fastest way to convert the coins to cash.

There is EBay if you want to take the time to list and ship them.

You might first want to look through the coins to see if there are any really old or packaged nicely with annotations. It's possible that there are rare coins in the collection worth paying extra attention to.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

You might first want to look through the coins to see if there are any really old or packaged nicely with annotations. It's possible that there are rare coins in the collection worth paying extra attention to.

I have gone through the suitcase and listed all the proof sets by year and the uncirculated sets. There was a bag of silver silver dollars and fifty cent pieces. He also has a bunch of foreign money from his time as a missionary. I would be surprised if any of that has any value but it’s cool to look at. There is no hurry to cash it in, it would probably only cover about one month in the assisted living home my MIL is in.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

look through my change for 'wheaties

Even though I abhor using cash, I still - before I toss the change into the tip jar - look through it for wheaties! and bicentennial quarters.  It has been a long while but I was still finding the WWII era wheaties made out of different metal even into the 90's.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have gone through the suitcase and listed all the proof sets by year and the uncirculated sets. There was a bag of silver silver dollars and fifty cent pieces. He also has a bunch of foreign money from his time as a missionary. I would be surprised if any of that has any value but it’s cool to look at. There is no hurry to cash it in, it would probably only cover about one month in the assisted living home my MIL is in.

Got anything from 1954? I'd be interested.