Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (Reg Harris Road Edition)

Page Turner

...I took this apart today, with the intention of putting it back together as a rider.  I took these photos for documentation in case  I get confused when it comes time to reassemble it.  It appears to be pretty much as sold new, back in 1959 or 1960.  Very impressive that the tyres still look good, even though I'll probably replace them. Think Raleigh Sports, but with Reynolds 531 unbutted frame tubing (not the fork, which weighs a ton.) Most of the technology on this bike is relatively primitive, but the Classic and Vintage guys think highly of them for some reason.

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 001.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 002.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 003.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 004.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 005.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 006.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 007.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 008.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 009.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 010.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 011.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 012.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

...the little pull chain on the Cyclo Benelux rear derailleur was busted, and I just managed to find another one on ebay at a ridiculously exorbitant price, but it was easier than making one out of an old Sturmy Archer 3 speed control rod.  Which had been my plan.  Which is why I had been putting off this restoration. :)

I don't think I'll be able to use the original pedals without crippling myself, so there will be some minor modifications made. It came with the white Bluemels mudguards.  I doubt the original or subsequent owners have ridden it much. The guy I bought it from was using it as a wall decoration.

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 025.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 026.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 027.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 028.JPG

Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix (original) 029.JPG

• Heart 3

Very nice (as ever).  Looks like it only has a single shift lever despite front and rear DRs???  And AMAZING to think that those tires are still on there.  I guess they aren't necessarily OEM tires and may have been replacements along the way (back when it was still used).

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Looks like it only has a single shift lever despite front and rear DRs???

...the front has the infamous Benelux suicide lever front derailleur, which was all the rage back then, You don't pull on it, just flip that top lever knob along the seat tube sideways.  It must have some practical limits, because the chainwheels only have a two or three tooth difference.

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...the front has the infamous Benelux suicide lever front derailleur, which was all the rage back then, You don't pull on it, just flip that top lever knob along the seat tube sideways.  It must have some practical limits, because the chainwheels only have a two or three tooth difference.

I imagine one could lose a finger shifting!!!!