Wordy and more wordy

shootingstar

I work in a dept. where my colleagues tend to be very detailed oriented.  Most of the time it's good..because it's part of our jobs, we help put into practice certain corporate standards.

However when it comes to broadcast emails, some presentations.....it becomes annoying at times, to see some team members giving out too much detail which a core message is lost. Sometimes I craft something..then it gets expanded by someone else, ie. boss.  

I'm more accustomed dealing with managers who express themselves at a broader level.

I'm part of the problem.  I tend to throw lots of words at things.  I'm a much better writer than I am an editor.

In my work we spend a lot of time writing proposals to help secure new work.  Some agencies/clients give you all the space you want to write, and some limit the length of your response.  Typically I'd much prefer to write the proposal that can go 10, 12, 15 pages, than the one that has to be limited to 4.  That's always a painful exercise - but I know it's a good exercise because it forces us to spend time distilling and thinking about what's most important.

39 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

"I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter" which is attributed to Blasé Pascal. I will write something then usually remove words and whole ideas making things more concise.

Then there's Shakespeare's "brevity is the soul of wit".

I have to....................