Once This Is Completed...

Razors Edge

...how many forumites will we pass along the route?  Looks like quite a few live in that green swath! From me, Mick, PZ, DkP, LJ, on over to Dennis, sheep_herder, and Dottles! I think Parr8 is in Indiana? It skirts Minn, Mich, and Missouri, so that rules out a few, and it wisely avoids Texas and California :D

image.thumb.png.7b57804f250a1ff991c984d21558920b.png

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Looks like one portion is west of Pittsburgh.  But likely uses the GAP for some portion.

image.thumb.png.8cec9db349aa355f2b4345aa36f0a586.png

Yeah, that’s the map I was looking at. My house is on that map, just a bit southeast. It’s a nice trail, but connecting from downtown Pittsburgh and the GAP trail won’t be easy (for trail riders).

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I rode my bike on I79 as a kid before it opened.  I wouldn't recommend it now.

Those were fun days when they were building the interstates. Even when part of them were open the road was deserted because people didn’t know about it and it didn’t really take you anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Those were fun days when they were building the interstates. Even when part of them were open the road was deserted because people didn’t know about it and it didn’t really take you anywhere.

I feel like the Blue Route (I-476) outside Philly was one of those slow to be completed projects from my childhood.  I now use it ever time I head to the Philly area, but when I was a kid, it was just a long running project. I wonder if it was open to non-motorized traffic prior to opening.

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Yeah it was done in my area for a couple years before they opened the north section.  I lived 1/2 mile away from the highway.  We would jump on the big deserted concrete strip and ride north, stop in the rest area that is about a mile north of our road and then take the Edinboro exit and go down to the lake.  Occasionally we would be passed by a construction truck but they left us alone.  Nothing like being a kid and having miles of 4 lane interstate highway all to yourself.

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Except for skipping California it looks a lot like the Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash.

It would probably make a great Tour de United States.

Like the TdF? I think it is gonna be all along old railroad trails, so not much in the "climbing" category.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Actually, there is one place on I79 where bicycles are allowed. The Ohio River bridge to Neville Island.

Affectionate known as the broken bridge, not to be confused with the burning bridge at the south end of the island on rt. 51. When that bridge was broken it was awful getting down to McKees Rocks on the skinny road with a load of steel. I wonder if anyone still refers to those bridges by those names?

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Affectionate known as the broken bridge, not to be confused with the burning bridge at the south end of the island on rt. 51. When that bridge was broken it was awful getting down to McKees Rocks on the skinny road with a load of steel. I wonder if anyone still refers to those bridges by those names?

The Fleming Park Bridge appears to be closed (or maybe a DUI checkpoint?) so it maybe it is still known as the “broken bridge”?

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I think that's the bridge I used to take when I delivered bulk oil to Gordon Terminals which was right under the McKees Rocks bridge. That was a quite regular run back in the late 80s, early 90s.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Is this what you mean by the burning bridge? It's not actually on Rt 51 but it's how you get to 51 from the island. 

Iv'e driven over it too many times to count.

2h376eg.jpg

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Is this what you mean by the burning bridge? It's not actually on Rt 51 but it's how you get to 51 from the island. 

Iv'e driven over it too many times to count.

2h376eg.jpg

That’s it, it was closed for over a year after it caught fire. It made getting to McKees rocks difficult. I’m not sure what all was in the pipes that run under the bridge but whatever it was it was highly flammable.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I went for an interview to Neville Chemical Company.  I had to wear boots to tour the plant.  Yuck!  I assume it is gone now?

Nope!  Still there!

I think some of their pipes ran under that bridge. They also had a coke plant there and it might have been the gas off the coal when they were making coke.

Just now, Longjohn said:

I think some of their pipes ran under that bridge. They also had a coke plant there and it might have been the gas off the coal when they were making coke.

Probably!  Just read their history, they started by using the coke by products.  Weird how they are still there when no steel plants are still there, AFAIK!

• Heart 1