ChrisL

So I went to a different PB yesterday to see if I could score any final close out deals.  Looked around and nothing really grabbed me.  Then I checked out the bikes and found a deal too sweet to pass up.  

Fuji Cross 1.7, AL frame, 105 drivetrain, TRP Sphyre discs, praxis cranks for $500!  Originally listed at $1,400.  Spoke to the missus after work and got the green light so pulled the trigger on my lunch. I got the last one in my size!

The guys at PB don’t even pretend to try & fit yoyu.  they just said yep looks your size...  I’ll need to dial in the fit myself but that will be easy.  They needed some time to adjust everything so I left it there and will come back for it after work.  I’ll post some pics later.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 2

Pics will be nice when you have them!  I did buy a cheap pair of MTB shoes there for a big discount, but the normal stuff I used to buy was pretty much gone.

And, from the News Bot:

Bicycle Retailer & Industry News (BRAIN) reports that all 60 of the remaining Performance Bicycle stores will be closed by March 2, as a result of the retail chain’s November bankruptcy filing.

Layoffs of about 95 employees on Wednesday at Advanced Sports Enterprises’s (ASE) facility in Chapel Hill, North Carolina — the longtime headquarters for the company’s Performance retail division — ended hopes that any Performance stores, once the country’s largest bike retail chain, would continue.

However, the new owners of the Performance and Nashbar e-commerce businesses told BRAIN they will operate and expand those websites. And the new owners of Advanced Sports, Inc. (ASI), the wholesale business that distributes Fuji, Kestrel, SE, and other brands, also plan to keep that business alive.

The Chapel Hill layoffs removed almost all management and support staff above the store level for the Performance store chain, which still has about 60 stores open. All of those stores are expected to be closed by March 2, with some closing sooner. Remaining Performance store employees are now reporting directly to Gordon Brothers, the store liquidation company ASE hired soon after filing for bankruptcy protection.

There were also at least a few layoffs made this week at other ASE facilities, including at the Philadelphia headquarters of ASI.

Most of those laid off in Chapel Hill are staying on through Thursday or Friday. About 30 people remain employed there, but about half of those positions are set to expire either this month or next.

There were also layoffs announced Wednesday at a call center in West Virginia that services Nashbar and Performance customers. The call center has been in operation there since 1995. It was not immediately clear how many jobs were let go at the call center, or if those positions were among the 95 job cuts announced.

Amain.com, Inc. acquired the Performance and Nashbar trademarks and web domains, as well as trademarks for Performance house brands, for $1.245 million. Amain did not acquire any store leases, warehouses, or inventory.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Pics will be nice when you have them!  I did buy a cheap pair of MTB shoes there for a big discount, but the normal stuff I used to buy was pretty much gone.

And, from the News Bot:

Bicycle Retailer & Industry News (BRAIN) reports that all 60 of the remaining Performance Bicycle stores will be closed by March 2, as a result of the retail chain’s November bankruptcy filing.

Layoffs of about 95 employees on Wednesday at Advanced Sports Enterprises’s (ASE) facility in Chapel Hill, North Carolina — the longtime headquarters for the company’s Performance retail division — ended hopes that any Performance stores, once the country’s largest bike retail chain, would continue.

However, the new owners of the Performance and Nashbar e-commerce businesses told BRAIN they will operate and expand those websites. And the new owners of Advanced Sports, Inc. (ASI), the wholesale business that distributes Fuji, Kestrel, SE, and other brands, also plan to keep that business alive.

The Chapel Hill layoffs removed almost all management and support staff above the store level for the Performance store chain, which still has about 60 stores open. All of those stores are expected to be closed by March 2, with some closing sooner. Remaining Performance store employees are now reporting directly to Gordon Brothers, the store liquidation company ASE hired soon after filing for bankruptcy protection.

There were also at least a few layoffs made this week at other ASE facilities, including at the Philadelphia headquarters of ASI.

Most of those laid off in Chapel Hill are staying on through Thursday or Friday. About 30 people remain employed there, but about half of those positions are set to expire either this month or next.

There were also layoffs announced Wednesday at a call center in West Virginia that services Nashbar and Performance customers. The call center has been in operation there since 1995. It was not immediately clear how many jobs were let go at the call center, or if those positions were among the 95 job cuts announced.

Amain.com, Inc. acquired the Performance and Nashbar trademarks and web domains, as well as trademarks for Performance house brands, for $1.245 million. Amain did not acquire any store leases, warehouses, or inventory.

I better go get my bike before they close up shop with it in it!!!

Yeah they had another round of discounts the other day which was why I went looking.  The mood of the staff is pretty somber.  

Im gonna blow doors at 3 and go fetch it.

24 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Well pick one or two up for me :D a nice touring bike with a slanted frame..like the tank..only new...would be great...or whatever we are talking N+1 (or 2 or 3) :D :P

I’ll have to run it by the boss...... Sorry she said no. ?

Obligatory garage pictures, still early sinlighting wasn’t great.

Still need to dial in fit, bars are a tad high so I’ll flip the stem or maybe swap it out with a 0 rise stem I have in the same length.  Not sure if the saddle will work but I’ll give it a go.  21.5 lbs, OK for a crosser but the wheels are pretty chunky.  I compared the front wheels of the Anthem & this one and by feel the wheel off my Anthem was noticeably lighter! My next upgrade maybe but I’ll ride it like this for a while.

5C45E488-8BE3-4E00-8CA6-EED7050EAB6D.jpeg

4504F5F3-039D-41FB-879A-33F49DD5A18F.jpeg

14E4492B-E08D-4B7C-AC82-5CAEBBBC0F7B.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Obligatory garage pictures

Ummm - Chain big-big. Valve stems at 6:00.  Crank arm position is acceptable.

Thanks for sharing.  I was hoping for your sake that the dudes at PB weren't going to sell it out from under you before you got back to pick it up.  What size is the frame?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Thanks for sharing.  I was hoping for your sake that the dudes at PB weren't going to sell it out from under you before you got back to pick it up.  What size is the frame?

The card attached to the bike said Large, but I noticed a 53 cm sticker on the frame?  Not sure how they measured the frame but it seems tall for a 53 as I usually ride a 56?  Stand over height gave a little less than an inch to impact (31” inseam).  my wife’s 54 is much smaller (albeit with a sloping too tube). I can shoulder it fine too.  

Maybe the bigger tires increases stand over?

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The card attached to the bike said Large, but I noticed a 53 cm sticker on the frame?  Not sure how they measured the frame but it seems tall for a 53 as I usually ride a 56?  Stand over height gave a little less than an inch to impact (31” inseam).  my wife’s 54 is much smaller (albeit with a sloping too tube). I can shoulder it fine too.  

Maybe the bigger tires increases stand over?

I guess if you can make the reach work without screwing up the seat position or making the stem wonky then it works.

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Did you buy this bike for spare parts?

No but seriously considered that too...  I love my old crosser but it’s got older shifters that are binding up with and a triple crank. Way overkill.  Just to upgrade the drivetrain would’ve cost as much as the entire bike! 

I’ll try to flip my old crosser and if I can get a couple hundy for it I’ll be happy.  Use that to offset the purchase.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I guess if you can make the reach work without screwing up the seat position or making the stem wonky then it works.

Yeah I dialed in the saddle height & set back and then found the bars a tad high but reach is good.  I’ll mess with it more over the weekend.

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s got a matching green pearlescent undercoat that pops in sunlight.  It looks better in good lighting.  Too bad it’s gonna get dirty...

It's gonna look good with that AXS gruppo draped on it! ?

Edited by Razors Edge
Fixed for Chris
  • Envious 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It's gonna look good with that APX gruppo draped on it! ?

I honestly might have passed if it had an Apex drivetrain.  Just doing loops around my driveway I was impressed with that 105 drivetrain.   I test ride my wife’s bike often and it has Ultegra 11 spd. Can’t tell the difference.

Sure my Bianchi has bling factor with that Campy Record group but it doesn’t perform any better than 105.

Just now, ChrisL said:

I honestly might have passed if it had an Apex drivetrain.  Just doing loops around my driveway I was impressed with that 105 drivetrain.   I test ride my wife’s bike often and it has Ultegra 11 spd. Can’t tell the difference.

Sure my Bianchi has bling factor with that Campy Record group but it doesn’t perform any better than 105.

Meant the new 12 speed Red AXS!

On 2/8/2019 at 8:41 AM, Kzoo said:

OK feker happy now????  Got it dialed in today.  I need to find black cages and have the knob cut off but otherwise set. I’ll try to break it out  Tomorrow. I took a picture of the top tube to see if you can see the pearl undercoat.

And yeah I know the seat is too high! ?

06D7BA8D-09A4-4D35-AC5B-8107A2D335BA.jpeg

A4668BFA-DFBB-425A-BC90-89728CD1F9F6.jpeg

3F0C22BE-0194-4F1B-A540-C6B890C7AD3A.jpeg