Saw 2 bicycle commuters today

petitepedal

24 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've been commuting by bike year round for about a decade. It's really not as bad as people think it is. Studded tires are awesome. It was -21F when I left this morning. The electricity was out. I was hoping we might get the day off  from work and I could ski. Power restored within an hour. 

How many miles do you commute? If anyone could do the long mileage in the winter it would be you.

32 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've been commuting by bike year round for about a decade. It's really not as bad as people think it is. Studded tires are awesome. It was -21F when I left this morning. The electricity was out. I was hoping we might get the day off  from work and I could ski. Power restored within an hour. 

Yep - it is only ice and heavy downpours that keep me from riding IN to the Metro.  Only ice keeps me riding BACK since if wet, I can usually just strip down ASAP when I get home.  If I had studs and fatter tires, ice would be much less an issue, I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How many miles do you commute? If anyone could do the long mileage in the winter it would be you.

Right now it's not much. A couple of years ago, it was 25 miles/day. I do it for myself. Driving in traffic is expensive and stressful. I could do the 25 in almost the same amount of time as driving. It really helped me unwind and was so much more fun than driving. At the moment, my car is buried under snow. I couldn't drive it if I wanted. I'll probably dig it out this weekend.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

I do it for myself. Driving in traffic is expensive and stressful. I could do the 25 in almost the same amount of time as driving. It really helped me unwind and was so much more fun than driving.

If people would take that to heart - and it is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH - then we would see more folks using alternative methods of getting to work.  I LOVE the ride portion of the day, and wish others would experience that joy.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If people would take that to heart - and it is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH - then we would see more folks using alternative methods of getting to work.  I LOVE the ride portion of the day, and wish others would experience that joy.

I figure I got around 5k in free miles. Tuesday, someone yelled at me and told me to get a car. Traffic is big problem here. Seems like I'm doing them a favor.