Moving shims

Longjohn

Natalie my firewood girl brought another load of wood. I’m trying to get as much as I can moved before it gets buried in snow.  We have 20 mph winds which make it not too enjoyable but better than trying to dig firewood out of the snow if winter sets in with no melting for a couple months.

0B5601B5-A8C1-4E6D-9445-111B3F204FBA.jpeg

448995B8-49AA-4A30-BC03-2B709E59EB1F.jpeg

• Heart 1

That's a pile of firewood that will warm you twice! :D

That brings back memories.... there was a lumber mill not far from my elementary school and we used to buy similar-looking scraps of oak (though few with bark, as I recall).  We'd just drive down, back up to a huge scrap pile, and throw them a piece at a time into the back of the pickup.  It is a miracle I never smashed the back window of that truck - I know I nailed it a bunch of times.  It was a slow ride home, up a 1-mile 10% grade in a full size Chevy with a load of oak weighing it down.

That oak burned like the fires of hell in our wood stoves.... toasty. ?

now the lumber mill is closed - but the Town bought it and moved their offices there.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Very non-traditional cut wood you got there!

It's pull outs and slab wood.  The pullouts are boards that don't make grade after being cut (open knots and such).  The slab wood are edge cuts (bark) need to be cut to get to the good stuff inside.

I've built many horse stall using pull outs.  A few of those can weigh a full size truck down in a hurry... heavy!

It all burns the same.  Oak = well

• Awesome 1

I moved wood all morning using a wheelbarrow. It’s slow going. I put a bunch in the basement and a bunch in the wood shed. The pile looks like I never touched it. I probably have enough under roof to last into March sometime. If the pile is snot under a crapton of snow I will use from the pile first that way I only have to move it once.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I moved wood all morning using a wheelbarrow.

Don't you have like twenty kids and fifty grandkids who could take care of this for you???? Or  at least some Amish neighbor wanting to trade his work effort for a chance to watch an hour of TV in your den?

• Haha 3

The only local family is about 20 minutes away. Granddaughters age 10 - 7-5-3 and twin grandsons almost two. Not really much help for manual labor. My son is probably the busiest man I know. He moves wood for me when I am waiting for bones to knit. I’m not going to bother him when I have all the time in the world.

• Heart 1