Chris' First Upgrade To His New Bike

Razors Edge

I was wondering when you people would find out about AXS.  Pretty cool wireless setup.  

They must have really figured out trim, cause there are no little tweaks you can do from the handlebars.  

15 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Some day there will be a long, steep climb in the mountains during a race. Someone will have a jammer that will throw the rear derailleurs into the smallest cog.

?

<edited>  My husband just told me that it is on a different wireless than our phones. Not Bluetooth.

I didn't understand you at first.  My husband did.  He after I read your post to him.  He did say that someone "could" be able to get on that system and do what you say.  People are dicks.  I guess there will always be those to F things up.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was wondering when you people would find out about AXS.  Pretty cool wireless setup.  

I'm really happy SRAM is taking the "whole bike" approach rather than the road vs MTB route.  Their goal seems to be chuck any part into any other AXS set-up and move on. No more poring over some compatibility diagram trying to figure WTF Shimano thinks will work and knowing plenty of other stuff will work.  If it says AXS, it works.  Anyway, that's my two cents on the topic. 

16 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Some day there will be a long, steep climb in the mountains during a race. Someone will have a jammer that will throw the rear derailleurs into the smallest cog.

I chuckled at this :)  They mention it is neither BT nor ANT, so hopefully it is some heavily encrypted (256bit) proprietary ("secret") comm spec, but I guess it could still be jammed versus manipulated.  Jamming would at least stop shifts from happening, so hitting a group of riders at the onset of a steep climb off of a prior descent might really mess with them - ie being caught in a massive descending gear and no ability to rapidly get to the climbing ones!  Mass insanity would ensue :D

Regarding the 12 speed change, I think the biggest "twist" is the tiny 10 in the rear that lets the 50 big ring outperform the traditional 53/11 top end gearing.  I rarely exceed my gearing on my 50/11 compact, so it is not that huge, but maybe it then frees up a big ring 48 or even 46 as a great gravel option.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have noticed slightly slower shifts with a dinner plate cassette.  It just seems slower to me.

I don’t notice that but I do feel the jumps in gears in my Eagle set up.  With a 2X system the jumps between gears are more gradual. 

Just different tho, not necessarily better or worse for me.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t notice that but I do feel the jumps in gears in my Eagle set up.  With a 2X system the jumps between gears are more gradual. 

Just different tho, not necessarily better or worse for me. 

Eagle AXS for your MTB, and Red AXS for your new cross rig. And then mix and match for the hell of it!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Talk to your brother.  Maybe his wife pizzed him off again and he wouldn't mind doing some gruppo shopping!

Apparently the 2,500 purse that led to the $900 revenge bike resulted in a revenge - revenge purchase of a $500 matching wallet for the purse.  Looks like she’s up by $2K so yeah he’s next.

• Haha 2