Bison drive

dinneR

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Pedaling my bike through a herd of Bison in Yellowstone was a little nerve wracking. But I made it through and lived to tell about it. (June 2009)

That is crazy. On the radio today, they called them tanks with an attitude. I tend to keep my distance. They do like to hang out in my GF's backyard. She had one brush up against her window.

These are being moved because they have gored a number of horses at a ranch.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That would get your attention if you were headed down the road in the opposite lane.  Do bison know to stay in their own lane?

I suppose there is no one arguing if they want to use the bike lane.

Paper article indicated the road was closed to traffic both ways during the drive.  To answer your question, I can tell you bison do not care what side of the road they use or which way traffic is flowing.

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That would get your attention if you were headed down the road in the opposite lane.  Do bison know to stay in their own lane?

I suppose there is no one arguing if they want to use the bike lane.

Rule of thumb is stay the F out of their way or they will F up your car.

jiuEglGJjELQ1LfXywbHpmDWD02J71vd8kSsI-WJkmwrjPxI6lbIm7_VO7k8B1tFMJSY3_UFWyzUuQYxkaqAs4uumP6QOS2RFRg3MzHRBdZa2rmXBQBNYVvPlRRO2_fPrqFs0IcigxKb3kDrEORnGI7ijtrnJgMJrXSlH1TYexx59fKM6-ozffqFIwvYiFzxIdL9CApGyorxx3HIzMxDyznpEThmPh8VkFWR-u5imy6P2AUMy2_ycKBF86Km30UBJiua6TL0JuGu9l4Eky6qPtXM02PJR097v9f7YO-gvJC-3A7DgD0SSlUL52cubc_GsDKexDf_CYW5zjm8WraBsdfoEBiMXGd6M0w3uk0teGY9Of-N-xk7xQlRHOHFlJa-sCz-iP8yVYK7ipWw9_-3JKLu3LmaKu0uo71aUBEU0cmr9kuqiv3cVOTS212mS0jAPDXnQZL16XjgA9jWkRt2tu-TRjzOo7ROU14cDXiLDjalwHTUFMwNh63W6U4IsFmOF1L9nzHihhb_JKOUfqvAi_Iu2wgGxXP3hR7Rwj3DGUG8Fi5uOvt8CmR5NXKuTJfR8m9QE5JLtyf8H9AoFQbkAaTYg4Scel6D6e99RtDWxvN79i8YpDFw0cQ9shuqJ1uGptczG-vOsht_fjyl0vMQBxZLuIGeCo4=w1364-h767-no

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

Rule of thumb is stay the F out of their way or they will F up your car.

A few years ago my daughters, WoJSTL and I were going to do some hiking in the mountains near Lawton, OK. My daughter turns her minivan left into a picnic ground. Next thing I see her hauling ass in reverse and a buffalo charging the minivan.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dennis said:

That is crazy. On the radio today, they called them tanks with an attitude. I tend to keep my distance. They do like to hang out in my GF's backyard. She had one brush up against her window.

These are being moved because they have gored a number of horses at a ranch.

I didn't feel I had a choice.  It wasn't a large group, and I can't really remember, but I wasn't super close, but close enough that I couldn't escape if one turned on me. Dennis' springtime picture is similar to what I had to traverse.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Brother of Kzoo lives in Lawton.  I've never been.  They have mountains in Lawton?

The Wichita Mountains are just west of Lawton. It includes the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife park therefore the buffalo and longhorn cattle roaming the place. It's well worth seeing if you go visit your brother.

The Meers Store & Restaurant also is worth visiting. The place is over 100 years old and looks like it. Great burgers.

http://www.meers.us/

My youngest daughter use to race for her college team in Wichita Falls TX south of Lawton. It's flat as can be there so they'd drive up toe Lawton to do mountain training.

We had our own Bison drive when I was working for the doctor that raised exotic animals. He had a dozen bison and he thinks he must have not latched the gate right. He found the gate open and all the bison gone. He didn’t know which way they went. We got on the four wheelers and started a search. We found no trace of them, then someone called and said there was a herd of bison in downtown NewWilmington (about four miles from the ranch). We pretty much herded them back home with the four wheelers like they were doing with the snowmobiles. I didn’t know how we were going to get them in the gate but they ran right in.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

The Wichita Mountains are just west of Lawton. It includes the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife park therefore the buffalo and longhorn cattle roaming the place. It's well worth seeing if you go visit your brother.

The Meers Store & Restaurant also is worth visiting. The place is over 100 years old and looks like it. Great burgers.

http://www.meers.us/

My youngest daughter use to race for her college team in Wichita Falls TX south of Lawton. It's flat as can be there so they'd drive up toe Lawton to do mountain training.

These are some beautiful grasslands, examples of tall grass prairie.

• Heart 1