Do you get your shoes resoled or just get new shoes?

Wilbur

I took a pair of my fathers shoes he had when I was a kid.  Some really nice dimpled leather Imperials.  Full wing bluchers from Florsheim.   Back in the days when Florsheim made nice shoes for the masses. 

I had them resoled and they came out pretty nice.  I almost don't want to wear them.  :) 

• Heart 3

Resole, since I wear braces and have custom boots; I don't have what you would consider nice shoes and my running shoe days are over. I was wearing shoes made by Drew, but something changed in the manufacturing process, and the boot maker's glue would no longer work for reattaching soles to the shoes.  In time the whole sole started coming apart.

• Heart 2

Nope. The guys I work with resole their work boots. They even get the tops patched. I'm just not that hard on my boots anymore. My current boots are three years old and the soles probably have a few years left. On another note, I found a pair of Nike shoes that I forgot I bought new a few years back still in the box. So I took them on our trip to Florida last month. According to my wife's fitbit we walked over 70 miles that week. At the airport waiting to fly home, I noticed the soles on both shoes were peeling away. To bad because they were comfy and cost more then I usually pay. I should have looked into repairing them. Instead I just tossed them.

• Heart 1

No, I buy new shoes.  It's just healthier for my feet to have brand new shoes.  I did have a pair of leather dress flat shoes, repaired..by the buckle. Worth it since I rehabbed shoes from 15 yrs. ago for not wearing them after 10 times of wear.  Now, I've had several compliments ..because this pair of shoe design is no longer made anymore.

• Heart 1

When I worked in the forge shop I had a pair of steel toe metatarsals that were only about a month old. I caught the heel when getting off a platform and ripped it off. My wife called the shoe repair shop and asked them if they could replace the heel on a pair of very dirty boots. They said that was no problem, bring them in. She took them in in a garbage bag and waited while they put new heels on them. They asked what kind of job I had? Whatever it is better him than me. He couldn’t get the graphite and grease off his hands.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I took a pair of my fathers shoes he had when I was a kid.  Some really nice dimpled leather Imperials.  Full wing bluchers from Florsheim.   Back in the days when Florsheim made nice shoes for the masses. 

I had them resoled and they came out pretty nice.  I almost don't want to wear them.  :) 

I didn't catch the father's shoes part. I just thought you were being cheap as usual. 

I apologize now. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, team scooter said:

On another note, I found a pair of Nike shoes that I forgot I bought new a few years back still in the box. So I took them on our trip to Florida last month. According to my wife's fitbit we walked over 70 miles that week. At the airport waiting to fly home, I noticed the soles on both shoes were peeling away. To bad because they were comfy and cost more then I usually pay. I should have looked into repairing them. Instead I just tossed them.

I had a pair of hiking boots that the sole blew out..I went to a repair place and the guy explained that the man made materials in hiking boots and athletic shoes breaks down over a few years...I had the hiking boots for probably 6 or 8 years..and they were expensive...but the repair guy said not worth the expense...due to the material breakdown...which I am guessing what happened with your Nikes.....

Leather soles ...sweet...

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I had a pair of hiking boots that the sole blew out..I went to a repair place and the guy explained that the man made materials in hiking boots and athletic shoes breaks down over a few years...I had the hiking boots for probably 6 or 8 years..and they were expensive...but the repair guy said not worth the expense...due to the material breakdown...which I am guessing what happened with your Nikes.....

Yup, man made stuff breaks down and it doesn't take that long. 

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Same thing that happened with my Drews, and that is when I went custom boots that could be rebuilt, soled, etc.  They are made of thick oiled leather, and can be retreated to maintain the water proofing. I wear the newer pair to all types of events where I don't want to track sheep manure into the venue.:whistle:

Running shoes only have so many miles in them. When they are done as running shoes, they become walking shoes then lawn mowing shoes before I dispose of them. 

My work shoes would cost more to resole than a new pair of shoes. I finally found a nice pair of dress shoes that I want to keep for a long time. But I wear them so rarely that I will be an old man before they wear out   

I have a pair of athletic type shoe that I bought because they were marked size 14 and on clearance for four bucks. They are too narrow and not comfortable. I was going to throw them away but that’s when I started doing Polar plunges and needed to wear something to protect my feet. I have worn those same shoes on every polar plunge I have done over the past ten years or so. They seem to be holding up well.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I was going to say just buy new because I usually wear cheap shoes, but I did spring for some nice Rockports a few years ago, so it could possibly be worth getting them resoled. I think we still have a shop that does that. Besides footwear, my wife also takes purses and stuff there for repairs.

i need to find a new shoe place because the ones I buy at Kohl’s never last, which is a shame because their store brand is very comfy but the durability is horribibble  

• Heart 1

If I was going to have anything resoled it would be my older pairs of Dr Martins. They do not make them like they used too now days.. I still have a couple pairs from back in the 90's that look like they are only a few years old. The couple pairs I got last year and this year are not to quality. I believe it has to do that are American made and not held to the standards of Great Britain.  

...the shoe repair shop closest to me is now a yoga studio, and the next closest one across the river lost his lease when they renovated the shopping center.  I'm not sure where I'd have to go now to get this done.  But no, none of my shoes are candidates because I only dress up for weddings and funerals. :) 

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the shoe repair shop closest to me is now a yoga studio, and the next closest one across the river lost his lease when they renovated the shopping center.  I'm not sure where I'd have to go now to get this done.  But no, none of my shoes are candidates because I only dress up for weddings and funerals. :) 

The guy who did mine is in Virginia.  Stop making excuses! :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I have a few pairs that I will get resoled.  Getting shoes that fit even halfway decently is tough and necessitated me getting some comparatively nicer than average shoes that I take pretty good care of.  Too expensive to toss, plus I would feel a bit wasteful about it.

Those are lifetime shoes buddy.  I have seen them!  

• Heart 1