When will I o T replace you?

Wilbur

Not sure.  I am thinking within the next 7 years.  I was talking to a co-worker about the idea of a kiosk replacing me.  Some of the questions that I get are quite complex.  The human element is not easy to replace. 

By the time this could come online, I should already be out the door.  4 years, 3 months and 5 days. Not that I am counting or anything.  

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

I was in Victoria last summer and walking around a marina noticed a guy who checked on boats as a retirement gig.  There are a lot of absent owners and he kept pretty busy.  The next day, I had lunch with a retired former coworker who was working on a project.  He had a lab set up in a backyard workshop that must be spied on by CSIS.  Lots of communications equipment and multiple back up generators etc.   We walked down to his sailboat for lunch and he showed me his current project which replaces the aforementioned old man.

It is an I oT based monitor of boats so he installs sensors that measure changes in displacement, water levels, geographic position and communicates through his proprietary communications system.  The owner gets an instant notification to his phone as to status changes so he could then take action, even kill the motor if desired.  

He is essentially killing of that old guys job.  

There is so much monitoring going on and data being collected these days.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I hope not because I don't even know what the acronym stands for but maybe that means the answer is yes. 

It basically means the Logan's Run will come true and we will be extinguished as our usefulness diminishes.  To the point we just set an age limit. :) 

Just now, Wilbur said:

?

Me, it could happen today but acceptance issues of the travelling public keep me in place.  

It's that Peter Graves distinguished look you guys have got going on. :D

They just don;t hear you talking aboot Gladiator movies in the cockpit or checking oot the girlie magazines at the airport newstand.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't think I need my fridge connected to Bluetooth.  

Can you remember what's in it without checking on the phone?  :whistle:

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I want your stuff too.

My stuff is probably too sisyfied for you.

But seriously, this forum is very mild mannered and folks get along.  Some of the other places I wander off to have posters who think that someone my age shouldn't be paid SS, drive, own property or take from the food supply so that there is plenty for them.

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Can you remember what's in it without checking on the phone?  :whistle:

My stuff is probably too sisyfied for you.

But seriously, this forum is very mild mannered and folks get along.  Some of the other places I wander off to have posters who think that someone my age shouldn't be paid SS, drive, own property or take from the food supply so that there is plenty for them.

That sounds insane.  We have paid into SS. The property comment kinda blows my mind. 

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was in Victoria last summer and walking around a marina noticed a guy who checked on boats as a retirement gig.  There are a lot of absent owners and he kept pretty busy.  The next day, I had lunch with a retired former coworker who was working on a project.  He had a lab set up in a backyard workshop that must be spied on by CSIS.  Lots of communications equipment and multiple back up generators etc.   We walked down to his sailboat for lunch and he showed me his current project which replaces the aforementioned old man.

It is an I oT based monitor of boats so he installs sensors that measure changes in displacement, water levels, geographic position and communicates through his proprietary communications system.  The owner gets an instant notification to his phone as to status changes so he could then take action, even kill the motor if desired.  

I have a friend that works for Impinj (impinj.com) -- and they actually have little chips with antennae that are placed in some Coke machines and the like now that monitor syrup levels and such.  It's coming and fast.  1984 doesn't seem that far out of scope.  

• Heart 1

At work, I have keep my mouth shut....in same dept. I work with colleagues who only want to deal with primarily paper records...because it's predictable and controllable to them. They don't have deal with anger, chaos from employees who don't want to change. She also wants to look continuously good to client depts. and not deal with any criticism.   Colleague told me she felt too much emphasis was electronic only documents.  I looked at her politely and said nothing. I am not her boss...I must work with her as my partner when we face the organization in client group meetings and presentations.

All I could think of how wrong she was ...the future is now...senior management if they could change people's habits quickly...it would be completely electronic across all 37 depts. and for 12, 000 employees.  Complete transformation, will happen but will take time.

The last time I worked with managing paper records corporate-wide, was over 12 years ago.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The owner gets an instant notification to his phone as to status changes so he could then take action, even kill the motor if desired.  

While monitoring is great, there is also a need for further assessment and response. As a sailboat owner who lives 2 hours from his boat, I think having an actual person to discuss a problem with your boat is way better than simply knowing something may be wrong. You cant use an app to adjust a dock line.

My first career, as a research and development chemist, may eventually be replaced by computers and/or the Internet.

But my second career as a public school teacher isn't as likely to be replaced by computers or the Internet of Things because schools also function as extremely low-cost babysitting services.  Computer based learning alone isn't going to keep a bunch of toddlers to teenagers in line - you need a body there.

This is especially true for chemistry teachers because of the frequent laboratory activities where teacher input is frequently required.