This is very disturbing..

Wilbur

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It was just on the news that 222 coaches in Canada were charged with sexual improprieties with 600 children in sports last year.  This involved something like 45 different sports.  Shocking and sad.

How many coaches are in CAnada?  222 seems a lot, for a population of 30 million, so I wonder if the US would be at the 2,200 mark.  I also wonder about the difference in accused vs investigated vs charged.

If we learned something from the US Gymnastics or the Penn State scandals, it is that a LOT of people look the other way.

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

How many coaches are in CAnada?  222 seems a lot, for a population of 30 million, so I wonder if the US would be at the 2,200 mark.  I also wonder about the difference in accused vs investigated vs charged.

If we learned something from the US Gymnastics or the Penn State scandals, it is that a LOT of people look the other way.

Are you counting your coaches for youth soccer, football, basketball?

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Yeah that was my thought too.  If its just National programs that would seem like a large % but if youth coaches are included probably not.

Wasnt there a report of youth hockey players in Canada being victimized by several coaches some years back?

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I assume there was some report or article Wilbur got his stats from.  To me "coach" would include any sports where a kid gets coaching - from swimming to gymnastics to football to hockey to cycling.  It may just be hockey, but that wasn't in the OP, so maybe we'll get some clarification.

Does the potential for 2,200/yr coaches in the US being charged seem too low? That seems scary high to me.