Have you been to all 50 States and/or 10 Provinces?

Kirby

We were having a discussion at work about someone who was very proud of the fact they had been to all 50 states.  So I had to go check which states I was missing.  For purposes of the question, I count driving through a state as long as you actually stop the car and get out at some point.  I'm missing 3 states and for those playing along in Canada, 3 provinces (and all the Canadian territories).

I just need to plan a long weekend that includes Hawaii, Oklahoma, South Carolina, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and I'll be all set.  I'm not planning to include the Northern Territories.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

We were having a discussion at work about someone who was very proud of the fact they had been to all 50 states.  So I had to go check which states I was missing.  For purposes of the question, I count driving through a state as long as you actually stop the car and get out at some point.  I'm missing 3 states and for those playing along in Canada, 3 provinces (and all the Canadian territories).

I just need to plan a long weekend that includes Hawaii, Oklahoma, South Carolina, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and I'll be all set.  I'm not planning to include the Northern Territories.

I'm way behind for Canadian provinces!  But, luckily, I have the hard US ones done - Hawaii and Alaska - so now it just ones like N & S Dakota! Since we are working our way through National Parks, this will eventually be accomplished.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Sounds pretty contrasting.  I've been through Saskatchewan and Manitoba by car when we moved my stuff from Toronto to Vancouver.  We never went through Winnipeg.  There is a 8+ km. long skating route in winter that's even longer than Ottawa's Rideau Canal skating way. https://www.theforks.com/events/skating-trail-and-park-conditions    There is an international winter /ice warming hut where architectural firms and ordinary citizens compete. https://www.warminghuts.com/

I've been to all provinces except for Newfoundland.  I have been to Nunavut in the Far Arctic.  But not yet to Yukon nor Northwest Territories.

States:  Washington (multiple times), Oregon, Montana, Michigan, New Mexico, California, Massasschusetts (several times) New Hamphsire, Rhode Island, Maryland and Hawaii (twice. In my opinion, its cultural history, natural wonders makes it quite different from continental US. I really enjoyed it there.)

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Alaska and Hawaii.

Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut  

I doubt that I will get to them now.

Inland passage in Alaska is worth your time. So is Hawaii. Take the tour boat out of Seattle for Alaska. But if you are done flying then, well, I agree. You won't make those places.

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

Inland passage in Alaska is worth your time. So is Hawaii. Take the tour boat out of Seattle for Alaska. But if you are done flying then, well, I agree. You won't make those places.

In addition  14 other countries although most were not for vacations.

At this point I've traveled enough.  There are literally hundreds of small local places left to visit.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Any idea how many countries as well?  Your list must be about as long as the rest of the forum put together.

I would need a map in front of me but all Western European countries and most central and east Europe.  Much of the Middle East and an awful lot of Asia and the South Pacific.  I have not set foot in Antarctica but I may save that as a sailing adventure.  

My to do list includes: Alaska, Nebraska, North Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas. The only Province that I've been to is Ontario. So I have a lot of Canada to visit. I've also been to Puerto Rico, Guam, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, Iceland, England, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, and Switzerland. I came very close to visiting Greece and Bahrain but lost the rock, paper, scissors competition for that trip.

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

About 45 states (missing AK, HI for sure, & don't remember the coast-to-coast routes taken by the 'rents 6 times before I was 2.

Prolly about 4-5 provinces, ONT eastward (a lot of Ont & Que)

Further to MaddMaxx, about 12 -15 countries.

Plantets: about half a dozen and a coupla moons.

Uranus only counts as 1 planet.

There is a big chunk of the southwestern USA that I have not been to, but every state east of the Mississippi, and every state immediately west of it I have been to many times. All the northern states to the west coast as well. 

Never been to Alaska or Hawaii.

The only two places in Canada I have not been are Newfoundland and the Yukon. 

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You folks mention "territories", but to me, they look no different than "provinces"! What gives? 

image.thumb.png.7775adc98621a2a18d75dbd38530df5f.png

It has to do with the laws that brought them into being, the Provinces being brought in through constitutional law and Federal Laws (our Parliament) creating Territories.  It makes for some differences of the administration and running of the areas,  thus they are designated with different names

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It has to do with the laws that brought them into being, the Provinces being brought in through constitutional law and Federal Laws (our Parliament) creating Territories.  It makes for some differences of the administration and running of the areas,  thus they are designated with different names

Seems a bit odd. We just add states as we need em.  Easy peasy.

<edit> And it is sort of mean for @Kirby to not acknowledge them at all!

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Ummmm, Puerto Rico?

Guam? US VI? Sure, they can ALL become STATES!  We have random stuff we have grabbed over the years, (ie the whole western US), but it eventually can turn into a "state(s)" rather than just some possession of ours.  Maybe it is just time until those CA territories become provinces?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems a bit odd. We just add states as we need em.  Easy peasy.

<edit> And it is sort of mean for @Kirby to not acknowledge them at all!

If I added Territories to the list then I'd have to figure out how to get to the Northern Marianas Islands and Guam, and I haven't even made it to Hawaii yet.