Have you been to all 50 States and/or 10 Provinces?

Kirby

....I once saw 5 rainbows over the course of one morning, while camping and hiking on the North Shore of Kauai. But I've never been to Alaska. I drifted around quite a bit as a young hippie, so I think I hit all the others.  I have limited experience across the northern border, but more experience with the Mexican states south of the border.

I always wanted to go to Oaxaca, but never got there. Given the choice between Oaxaca and Alaska, I think I'd probably spend the time going to Oaxaca.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

20 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I always wanted to go to Oaxaca, but never got there. Given the choice between Oaxaca and Alaska, I think I'd probably spend the time going to Oaxaca.

Juneau is the second prettiest place on earth. Eagles land on your casement window ledge waiting to be invited in for hot chocolate or dessert. Seriously, 4 million eagles for every citizen. 

Every house in Juneau/Douglas looks like a Norman Rockwell painting. The women there are homemakers like June Cleaver. The church bells ring until all families arrive and are seated. 

Very pretty. 

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There are too many places closer to home that I want to visit.  For example, I've never been to the Smithsonian (any part).  In fact, I've never been to DC.  

...you can spend a couple of days out at the Air and Space Museum Annex out at Dulles.  Then you can spend two or three more days at the regular Air and Space Museum down on the mall.  I have actually done this. :) 

9 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Juneau is the second prettiest place on earth. Eagles land on your casement window ledge waiting to be invited in for hot chocolate or dessert. Seriously, 4 million eagles for every citizen. 

Every house in Juneau/Douglas looks like a Norman Rockwell painting. The women there are homemakers like June Cleaver. The church bells ring until all families arrive and are seated. 

Very pretty. 

... there are brilliantly colored hummingbirds flying to every feeder in Oaxaca, and the local housewives make up magic mushroom tamales for the visitors, Juneau ?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you can spend a couple of days out at the Air and Space Museum Annex out at Dulles.  Then you can spend two or three more days at the regular Air and Space Museum down on the mall.  I have actually done this. :) 

I would like to.  I suspect womaxx wouldn't.

I'd send her shopping if I could afford it.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There are too many places closer to home that I want to visit.  For example, I've never been to the Smithsonian (any part).  In fact, I've never been to DC.  

I would hope there is a lot in between CT and DC that you could hit up on day trips first.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...you can't stand under a genuine, original Lockheed SR-71 and walk the length and breadth of it in Philadelphia.

Yeah, I've been to Udvar Hazy quite a few times, but I'm trying to keep Maxx up in Yankee-territory.

Nice note for locals is you can hit it up free if you go later after parking is free. As a local, several short trips (also accessible by bike and a local bus) can be fun and easy. Parking fees do NOT support the Smithsonian either.

----------------------------------------

Regular Hours: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm 

Admission is FREE
Parking $15 Before 4:00 pm
Open Every Day Except December 25

BTW, I've never been to the USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum, but it has a Blackbird:

New York:

A-12 #06925 - On display at USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in the New York City Harbor.

image.png.219ce63af4d72f7573c28c7e28125931.png

And, an interesting evolution of the Blackbird has the one in NYC as an older A-12 (Udvar Hazy has the SR-71A):

The A-12 is the forerunner of the SR-71 and has nearly the same shape and dimensions as its replacement. Designed to replace the U-2, the A-12 flew higher and four times as fast to outrun enemy defenses and gather intelligence. The A-12 is primarily an over flight vehicle unlike the SR-71. Its major advantages in capabilities to the SR-71 include its higher-resolution photography and its ability to go marginally faster (Mach 3.3) than the SR-71. However, the SR-71 was chosen as successor to the A-12 due to its side-looking radar and cameras, allowing it to gather important reconnaissance data without penetrating enemy airspace.

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...you can't stand under a genuine, original Lockheed SR-71 and walk the length and breadth of it in Philadelphia.

deliveryService?id=NASM-NASM2016-00595

I've touched the engines under repair at P&W and I spent an afternoon on the roof of my test cells watching one making attempts to land at Rentschler Field for the P&W 50th anniversary.  After several tries we didn't get the bird for the show.

I had to get a blood test because of those engines.  There were toxic metals in them.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I've touched the engines under repair at P&W and I spent an afternoon on the roof of my test cells watching one making attempts to land at Rentschler Field for the P&W 50th anniversary.  After several tries we didn't get the bird for the show.

I had to get a blood test because of those engines.  There were toxic metals in them.

...there's a nice couple of sentences in the descriptions on the placards about the problems with fuel leaks because of the temperature changes and bulkhead expansion and contraction.  The whole aircraft sounds like quite an adventure.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

"There are too many places closer to home" - Boston is closer to home for you than DC.

Been there a lot.  I liked the Duck boats when I was a kid, Quincy Market as an adult and the Museum of Science as both.  After that Boston is a traffic jam of monumental proportions.  I would take the train to Washington and never have to drive.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there's a nice couple of sentences in the descriptions on the placards about the problems with fuel leaks because of the temperature changes and bulkhead expansion and contraction.  The whole aircraft sounds like quite an adventure.

True.  The airplane was always surrounded by buckets during and after fueling because the grooved metal (for expansion) on the wings didn't really seal till it got hot enough to expand.  In the age it was built, most of the controls and systems were manual and required constant attention to detail and proceedure by the crew.  They refueled right after take off and the climb out was done by the numbers.....accelerate a bit, move the inlet shock cone a bit, accel a bit more, more shock cone.  They flew like drunken sailors as minute temperature changes at the altitude they flew at constantly changed the engine power output.  The worst possible condition was to allow the intake shock cone to move too far forward for the exact speed being flown.  That allowed the engine to "burp" forward out of the inlet in a manner so violent it was called an "unstart".  Some 71's (or A-11's) crashed when that tore a wing off.