I survived glamping

jsharr

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

He at least wins the award for the most patches and crap.  And he has that nice plastic cup attached to his hip for collecting acorns.

How many patches and crap do you have on YOUR shirt, sir?  I, sadly, lack any :(

Just now, Kzoo said:

Kzoo surprisingly has no more patches and crap than you do.

I had a "Forumite of the Day" patch once but @Road Runner and @AirwickWithCheese talked SW into ripping it off my shoulder.  I was in shock!

I can't - even in my wildest imagination - see SW having the hand strength to rip a patch off anything.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How many patches and crap do you have on YOUR shirt, sir?  I, sadly, lack any :(

I have the required BSA patches, on my left sleeve are my council strip, my unit number,  my position patch and my trained patch,, On my right sleever are the flag, my patrol patch and my Journey to Excellence patch.  Above my left pocket are the international scouting symbol and centenial ring and I  have the square knots i earned as a cub master, den leader, webelos den leader, and the district award of merit.  I have a few more I have earned that are not on that shirt.

Hanging from my left pocket is the Wood Badge 128 patch and on the flap of my right pocket is my Order of the Arrow Patch and hanging on my right pocket flap is my Wood Badge name tag.

• Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't - even in my wildest imagination - see SW having the hand strength to rip a patch off anything.

@Randomguy taught @Square Wheels some hand grip strengthening exercises.  I think they also improve forearm strength.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I hate to be the one to bring this up but one of the guys from "The Owl Patrol" is not wearing regulation footwear. It looks like he might be wearing harness boots.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Texas kickers.  

That young man is an Eagle Scout and a para professional working on his college degree so he can become a professional Scouter.    

Just now, jsharr said:

That young man is an Eagle Scout and a para professional working on his college degree so he can become a professional Scouter.    

So as a college student it is understandable that he can't afford proper footware.  

He is forgiven.

39 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Be that as it may, he needs to get himself squared away.

Cowboy boots with a scout uniform is not out of place here in Texas as long as you have your Scout socks on you are in uniform.  We did very little actual hiking on this course, maybe a mile or two with full packs, tents, food for the weekend.  Participants had to hike in everything they needed for 6 meals.  We fed them lunch on Sunday, but they cooked lunch and dinner on Friday, all meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday and they had to feed at least two staff members at each meal on Saturday.  He carried his load and then some.  My patrol was high performing if I do say so my own damned self.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Cowboy boots with a scout uniform is not out of place here in Texas as long as you have your Scout socks on you are in uniform.  We did very little actual hiking on this course, maybe a mile or two with full packs, tents, food for the weekend.  Participants had to hike in everything they needed for 6 meals.  We fed them lunch on Sunday, but they cooked lunch and dinner on Friday, all meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday and they had to feed at least two staff members at each meal on Saturday.  He carried his load and then some.  My patrol was high performing if I do say so my own damned self.

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. ?

Patrol?  You mean like Boarder Patrol?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I have the required BSA patches, on my left sleeve are my council strip, my unit number,  my position patch and my trained patch,, On my right sleever are the flag, my patrol patch and my Journey to Excellence patch.  Above my left pocket are the international scouting symbol and centenial ring and I  have the square knots i earned as a cub master, den leader, webelos den leader, and the district award of merit.  I have a few more I have earned that are not on that shirt.

Hanging from my left pocket is the Wood Badge 128 patch and on the flap of my right pocket is my Order of the Arrow Patch and hanging on my right pocket flap is my Wood Badge name tag.

Where is your silver beaver?

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Where is your silver beaver?

I was not awarded the Silver Beaver this year.   Our district is only allowed a certain number.  I was nominated by someone very high up, holds a position at National, not just Council, but due to the LDS Church leaving Scouting, some very deserving Scouters from the LDS were awarded the Silver Beaver.  They deserved it.   The person that helped fill out my nomination felt badly for letting it slip that my name was in the running and that I did not get it. 

31 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Participants had to hike in everything they needed for 6 meals.  We fed them lunch on Sunday, but they cooked lunch and dinner on Friday, all meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday and they had to feed at least two staff members at each meal on Saturday.

Nobody in those pictures is missing any meals, so I'm gambling when I say this but I bet folks hiked in 12 meals each in order not to get hungry.  Better extra food than any real camping stuff!

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nobody in those pictures is missing any meals, so I'm gambling when I say this but I bet folks hiked in 12 meals each in order not to get hungry.  Better extra food than any real camping stuff!

You would be wrong.  And you are right about not missing any meals.  But there were some incredible stories on the course like the kid who grew up where there were gangs and who now runs an after school program for 35 cub scouts.  Most of those pictured are blessed to have the time and resources to be able to give back to Scouting in a meaningful way.

And sleeping in a tent and cooking on a stove and wearing clothes that you hiked into camp is camping.

Thanks for proving me right about your rotten, dead core! ?

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

You would be wrong.  And you are right about not missing any meals.  But there were some incredible stories on the course like the kid who grew up where there were gangs and who now runs an after school program for 35 cub scouts.  Most of those pictured are blessed to have the time and resources to be able to give back to Scouting in a meaningful way.

And sleeping in a tent and cooking on a stove and wearing clothes that you hiked into camp is camping.

Thanks for proving me right about your rotten, dead core! ?

Not a single kid or cub in either of those photos!  I think the kids are great - hanging out in the woods and getting pampered is a great way to spend some time skipping school, chores, work, whatever!

47 minutes ago, jsharr said:

He carried his load and then some.

I'd say everyone looks like that.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nobody in those pictures is missing any meals, so I'm gambling when I say this but I bet folks hiked in 12 meals each in order not to get hungry. 

I was going to say something but I am already in the hot seat. I feel sorry for these people. It makes me feel sad. And in Texas, of all places. It's just unAmerican. God bless the eagle.

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I was going to say something but I am already in the hot seat. I feel sorry for these people. It makes me feel sad.

I don't know, everybody looks pretty happy in those photos, like they like each other and had a good time and taught some youngsters how to better themselves.  It is no shame to be well fed and look like you might have a beer or two at the Superbowl.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I don't know, everybody looks pretty happy in those photos, like they like each other and had a good time and taught some youngsters how to better themselves.  It is no shame to be well fed and look like you might have a beer or two at the Superbowl.

But what about the eagles? Think about the eagles, man.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Do you know what Wood Badge is?  Serious question.

I do now thanks to Google!  So, you took grown-ups camping? Or some combination of both? Man,, if this thread is gonna be about understanding all the ins and outs of scouting, you have chosen the wrong audience!

Either:

Wood Badge is a Scouting leadership programme and the related award for adult leaders in the programmes of Scout associations throughout the world. Wood Badge courses aim to make Scouters better leaders by teaching advanced leadership skills, and by creating a bond and commitment to the Scout movement.

or:

Wood Badge is an advanced, national leadership course open only to Scouting volunteers and professionals. Scouters from Cub Scouting, Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts, and Explorers, and district and council Scouters all are welcome and belong here.

------------------------------

BTW, the general rule over in the cesspool (P&R) is "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."  You can apply it equally well here in the Cafe!

• 1 month later...