I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm doing it anyway

SuzieQ

Repair or install?  

With my dishwasher debacle I told the guys to just drop the new dishwasher in my garage and I’d figure out the install.  It was a PITA and I made several mistakes I had to undue or go back and redo but ultimately we got it done.  If I can do it you can too!

That is a ground wire.  Very important in the end.  

Washing machines are fairly compartmentalized and it looks like you are well into your repair. What are you replacing?

YouTube is your friend but you probably already know that.

It looks like you haven't unhooked the water supply yet.  That could be important...

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Repair or install?  

With my dishwasher debacle I told the guys to just drop the new dishwasher in my garage and I’d figure out the install.  It was a PITA and I made several mistakes I had to undue or go back and redo but ultimately we got it done.  If I can do it you can too!

When we got a new clothes washer and dryer, it came with "free" delivery, installation, and take-away.  When delivery came, the installer removed the old washer & dryer, set up the dryer (very easy to do), but then took one look at our existing overflow pan and showed us that the new washing machine would not fit.  Front loaders are much deeper than the old top loaders :(  We had to get our plumber out ASAP to install the larger pan (it has a drain), but luckily it all got done fairly quick that week.  Still, a royal pain.

Just now, Kzoo said:

That is a ground wire.  Very important in the end.  

Washing machines are fairly compartmentalized and it looks like you are well into your repair. What are you replacing?

YouTube is your friend but you probably already know that.

It looks like you haven't unhooked the water supply yet.  That could be important...

replacing the lid switch - don't have it yet, just ordered it from amazon.  I don't have a spanner or socket or whatever to get that ground wire off - pliers don't want to work.

1 minute ago, SuzieQ said:

replacing the lid switch - don't have it yet, just ordered it from amazon.  I don't have a spanner or socket or whatever to get that ground wire off - pliers don't want to work.

EVERY home should have a basic tool set - including a bunch of normal metric & SAE sockets.  A good and relatively inexpensive investment.  Usually has the normal stuff like screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, a few smaller wrenches, and the socket set. Maybe even a hammer or some hew wrenches. Really "normal" but essential tools.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

EVERY home should have a basic tool set - including a bunch of normal metric & SAE sockets.  A good and relatively inexpensive investment.  Usually has the normal stuff like screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, a few smaller wrenches, and the socket set. Maybe even a hammer or some hew wrenches. Really "normal" but essential tools.

Vise-Grips

FIFY

• Awesome 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I shall go buy sockets now ?

One thing you might check, is that if you have a screwdriver with interchangeable heads (a couple phillips, a standard flat, etc), that often matches those little screw heads as well. In other words, don't put a screwhead bit in, and see if it fits the screw in the washer.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

With the lid switch, I have taped them into the operating position. I have also cut the wires and twisted them together to defeat the faulty switch. 

P.S. Don't tell 2Far. He gets weird when I don't do things his way.

That’s what I do. That switch is just to shut the washer off if you open the lid on spin. Someone would have to be pretty blonde to do that anyway. My new washer locks the lid so you can’t open it at all with the washer running. I don’t need that much safety but maybe someone who lets their toddlers play with the washing machine unsupervised it might be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That’s what I do. That switch is just to shut the washer off if you open the lid on spin. Someone would have to be pretty blonde to do that anyway. My new washer locks the lid so you can’t open it at all with the washer running. I don’t need that much safety but maybe someone who lets their toddlers play with the washing machine unsupervised it might be a good idea.

I think the lid switch came to be in order to prevent people from having their arms wrenched, at least. The agitators were fairly heavy back when and the spin cycle under power could probably do some serious damage against a young housewife's arm.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

You have clothes in that machine. Bypass the switch and get your laundry done. When the new switch come in you can install it, or not.

but it won't empty or spin, the switch is totally broken.

You mean I don't need a switch at all?? I don't care about safety, Nix and the cats can't lift the lid, they don't have thumbs.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

One thing you might check, is that if you have a screwdriver with interchangeable heads (a couple phillips, a standard flat, etc), that often matches those little screw heads as well. In other words, don't put a screwhead bit in, and see if it fits the screw in the washer.

I have those, I have a lot of tools! Yesterday I even had to use my reciprocating saw to get the railings off from the front of my house.

IMG_6014.jpeg

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Yes two and then the grounding wire

IMG_6047.jpeg

If the switch is normally open (which Im pretty sure it is) then all you have to do is jumper the 2 (non ground) wires and you closed the safety circuit and put it back together.  I recommend ordering the new switch and putting it back together correctly.  Most locations have appliance stores you can get the part from.  A repairman has to get his parts from somewhere.  If you have Amazon Prime you could have had it on a truck a delivered by tomorrow.

If you cut it like LJ suggests leave enough tag end from the connector block to splice it back later.

Lon

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

park_pw4_04_m.jpg

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If the switch is normally open (which Im pretty sure it is) then all you have to do is jumper the 2 (non ground) wires and you closed the safety circuit and put it back together.  I recommend ordering the new switch and putting it back together correctly.  Most locations have appliance stores you can get the part from.  A repairman has to get his parts from somewhere.  If you have Amazon Prime you could have had it on a truck a delivered by tomorrow.

If you cut it like LJ suggests leave enough tag end from the connector block to splice it back later.

Lon

I ordered the new part from Amazon - it will be here Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Why would it be less efficient?

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, a top loader is inefficient.  Chuck it and get a front loader. ? ?

It came with the house and I have lots of other things that need $$ so I shall keep it going as long as possible