I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm doing it anyway

SuzieQ

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The reason I say they stink is because of all the adds for products to help remove the odors from your front loader. You never saw an add for something to remove odors from a top loader.

Yep - the main complaint I have ever read about front loaders is that they don't fully drain and get a mildew smell.  Of course, "normal" people can easily avoid that by a two step process - check the small gasket drain after a load for standing water, and 2) leave the washer door slightly ajar to promote air flow. Most folks would be challenged to go that extra mile, so they end up with smelly front loaders. :)

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

My laundry space is so small that a top loader is way more convenient.  

We had a stackable in our first place and LOVED it. Probably would be happy with one nowadays too, but the laundry area is much larger, so we just went with replacements of the old standalones.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We had a stackable in our first place and LOVED it. Probably would be happy with one nowadays too, but the laundry area is much larger, so we just went with replacements of the old standalones.

I think standalone are also cheaper.  I have to vent my dryer inside :(  there is not outside wall.  Some day I will get someone in to vent it out through the ceiling and roof.  

1 minute ago, SuzieQ said:

I think standalone are also cheaper.  I have to vent my dryer inside :(  there is not outside wall.  Some day I will get someone in to vent it out through the ceiling and roof.  

Uh, do it yourself. You have the tool!

IMG_6014.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Do you have a lint trap beyond the one inside the drier?  It is a good idea if you don’t to install something like this.5EB560C1-9E3C-4BC6-B3C7-4C460B846F87.thumb.png.cd97d7fb41fb64218c0babea40d658e0.png

Just now, Longjohn said:

Do you have a lint trap beyond the one inside the drier?  It is a good idea if you don’t to install something like this.5EB560C1-9E3C-4BC6-B3C7-4C460B846F87.thumb.png.cd97d7fb41fb64218c0babea40d658e0.png

I have something like that - same idea.  It's fine in the winter, but in the summer it can steam up the house

• Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

And clearly, that is just marketing BS!  Like a "fuel efficient pick-up truck".  Jeebus, man, don't believe the nonsense these folks are pushing on us all!

You don't know what you don't know.  

https://www.consumerreports.org/top-load-he-washers/things-to-know-about-high-efficiency-top-loaders/

I call front loaders "the big lie", like in those old anti-cocaine ads.  Most of the claimed efficiency gains besides less water usage (lame!) is 'sposed to be that they spin the clothes drier and therefore take less drying energy.  Bullshit!  Our old top loader spun like a banshee and the clothes were spun much drier than that wimpy front loader.  And the mold/mildew is aboot impossible to stave off.  I would take a top loader back in a heartbeat.

• Awesome 1

57 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I call front loaders "the big lie", like in those old anti-cocaine ads.  Most of the claimed efficiency gains besides less water usage (lame!) is 'sposed to be that they spin the clothes drier and therefore take less drying energy.  Bullshit!  Our old top loader spun like a banshee and the clothes were spun much drier than that wimpy front loader.  And the mold/mildew is aboot impossible to stave off.  I would take a top loader back in a heartbeat. 

Funny in that the last year of our top loader's life, it spun stuff like 2x or 3x faster than intended. Clothes were practically glued to the sides, and towels or sheets would have dimples where the fabric was pulled into the many drain holes in the tub.  Amazing.  Talk about wringing clothes dry.  Now, it also sounded like a rocket taking off and was likely one or two bolts from exploding, but it did its job well for well over a decade.  It did, however, beat the crap out of clothing. Front loaders seem very kind to clothing, and my bike stuff is definitely in better shape for it!

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A few years back, we got rid of our relatively new front loader, and bought a heavy duty top loader by Speed  Queen, made the old fashioned way.  We've never regretted the change. Front loader did not fit our life style, with washing towels and clothes that some times had bits of straw and hay, etc.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

A few years back, we got rid of our relatively new front loader, and bought a heavy duty top loader by Speed  Queen, made the old fashioned way.  We've never regretted the change. Front loader did not fit our life style, with washing towels and clothes that some times had bits of straw and hay, etc.

Never heard of them, but a front loader ain't exactly "tough on stains"! They seem more like "let me massage that dirt out nice and easy" sort of things.

Love this homepage though:

image.thumb.png.afd4f8a4cf236281c0f793d4c68f515f.png

Front loaders are terrible...we have something like 15 of them in our building at work and they are hard to keep clean...you can't stop them when the get unbalanced ..they get smelly...old people never know how much detergent to use...and maintenance is ALWAYS repairing them...and these are commercial grade.

• Awesome 2