Do Any Guys Actually Like Valentine's Day?

Razors Edge

I worked with a guy who LOVED Valentine's Day.  He would go all out - in a sort of oddly trashy way - buying crap for his wife. Shit ton of chocolate, multiple cards including one (or more) of those MEGA-sized cards, little gifts, big gifts, etc..  I never could tell if he did it because he loved doing it, or if he did it because his wife loved it and he loved his wife.

Anyway, luckily, we still keep V-Day "modest", but honestly, I could scrap it altogether and not look back (but I do like the 50% valentine's day candy on the 15th). 

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

In the years I was w/ someone we kept it very simple. Usually a dinner at home. Its a crazy night to go out. Small token gift, not much. I never did the MEGA card. I'd feel weird buying one.

It is a dopey "holiday" and now feels completely manufactured.  I do like an occasional nudge to remind me to show my affection, but the ridiculousness around the "holiday" is just yucky to me.

• Heart 1

WoKzoo gets upset if I don't acknowledge her/the holiday but she is miserable to buy for.  It's Valentines day - nothing big.  No chocolate - she can get that at the store herself. No flowers - they just die.  No jewelry - she doesn't wear any.  She gets a card.

I hate Valentines Day.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is a dopey "holiday" and now feels completely manufactured.  I do like an occasional nudge to remind me to show my affection, but the ridiculousness around the "holiday" is just yucky to me.

I hate everything about it, and always have. I have consistently refused to take part in it.  I have also told women that I have dated or been in relationships with that I refuse to take part in it in any way, such as getting/giving gifts, going out to eat, cards, etc.  I was very clear - very, VERY clear that I wasn't taking part in any aspect of it, that it was a shit/sham holiday invented to make money from nothing.

Guess what bummed them out and surprised them every year?  Yup.  The worst part is that RO's mother will hype up any "holiday" to the millionth degree, so I will get something for RO or I will be a grinch of some sort that her mother will repeat to her over and over and over.  Women are the worst, you tell them up and down what you believe and what you are going to do, and they make up some fiction that you were exaggerating or somesuch.

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

WoKzoo gets upset if I don't acknowledge her/the holiday but she is miserable to buy for.  It's Valentines day - nothing big.  No chocolate - she can get that at the store herself. No flowers - they just die.  No jewelry - she doesn't wear any.  She gets a card.

I hate Valentines Day.

A STORE BOUGHT card MASS PRODUCED so that HUNDREDS of women get the SAME ONE???? Jeebus, man!!!!

6 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

I hate everything about it, and always have.

I liked it in grade school, cuz it was confirmation of which girls liked me.  

Other than that, it's stupid.  My mom always sends my kids cards and a little gift.  The girls appreciate that.  But, post age 12, it wasn't my thing.

I am convinced that at least 75% of women are so insecure socially that they feel they absolutely must be able to compare their Valentine's experiences favorably with other women or they will not feel validated.  Why it takes on any importance with women is mind-boggling.  Seriously, who cares where you go out to eat or what gift you got to show off?

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am convinced that at least 75% of women are so insecure socially that they feel they absolutely must be able to compare their Valentine's experiences favorably with other women or they will not feel validated.  Why it takes on any importance with women is mind-boggling.  Seriously, who cares where you go out to eat or what gift you got to show off?

What does it say about the guys who feed that insecurity? Is that insecurity feeding insecurity? Two negatives make a positive? Or two negative make a bigger negative?

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What does it say about the guys who feed that insecurity?

Kzoo is a nitwit, but don't blame him.  Some people are of the mind that any holiday is an opportunity to spread joy, and get all soft-headed when they think that thought.  They miss the bigger picture, which is that ANY day is a day to spread joy, not some average day that suddenly had a boob job and got all tarted up to pretend to be better than all the other days.

I got my wife a card telling her how beautiful she is and wrote a bunch of mushy stuff inside it. Then I got her three bags of Dove dark chocolates, heart shaped. That is her favorite chocolate. I got her three bags because she will probably share with the grandkids. They might not like the dark chocolate but they will like the thought.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Kzoo is a nitwit, but don't blame him.  Some people are of the mind that any holiday is an opportunity to spread joy, and get all soft-headed when they think that thought.  They miss the bigger picture, which is that ANY day is a day to spread joy, not some average day that suddenly had a boob job and got all tarted up to pretend to be better than all the other days.

Listen here you mush for brains dolt (that felt good)... Now what was I going to say?  Huh?  I'll think of it later.

• Heart 1

My wife is not a big flowers/cards kind of girl.  If I bring home flowers she would say "We could have gotten a nice bottle of wine for supper instead of those." so we tend to not celebrate valentines day.  Having said that, pretty much year round if I see something cool for her I will get it for her and she will for me.

• Heart 3

58 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I hate Valentines Day.

Yet another similarity with kazoo!:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Very little.  Big bridge, mainly familiar with the names on  signs as I zip by on Route 80 or Route 8.

Thought we might be cousins...

#scary

ps My dad told stories of the old bridge off the Clintonville Road.  It was on a steep angle coming into town and there were more than a few wintertime issues at the end of the bridge.  Ah the good old days. 

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Thought we might be cousins...

#scary

ps My dad told stories of the old bridge off the Clintonville Road.  It was on a steep angle coming into town and there were more than a few wintertime issues at the end of the bridge.  Ah the good old days. 

That sounds like the 322 railroad bridge at Van. 322 east of Franklin (actually Cranberry)  used to be a totally wild road - now it is MUCH tamer but still fun!

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That sounds like the 322 railroad bridge at Van. 322 east of Franklin (actually Cranberry)  used to be a totally wild road - now it is MUCH tamer but still fun!

322 cuts through part of Rocky Grove before it makes the turn over French Creek.  I dated a girl from Rocky Grove in '76.

• Heart 1

I suppose it has it's place if you celebrate 3rd century Roman Catholic saints.  Being nobody calls it Saint Valentines Day anymore, I assume it to be a chocolates and card day and nothing more.  

Women like to feel appreciated but it really isn't a celebration for most men.  Unless of course, you are down to birthdays, anniversaries and Valentines day you play the right card.  :) 

• Heart 1

Very much. 

In Greenville, most of the single ladies shop at the best neighborhood grocery stores, like Publix. 

On Valentine's Day the available ladies will wear their finest dresses, some with pearls.  Pretty ladies shopping with new hairstyles.   

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My wife must be part of the 25% then. I think she’d rather I not spend the money... We’ll  do cards, I’ll usually get roses but I found a place that doesn’t mark up the price 500% for Valentine’s Day.

• Heart 1

I just asked dearie....he finds birthdays more significant to celebrate...re gift.  My birthday is about 2 wks. before V-day. :)  Frankly there were times, 1 of us nearly forgot about V-day.

We do small things for each other...a card / some chocolates or a pastry. That's all for V-day.  I did send him a card...by snail mail 3 wks. in advance... which genuinely surprised him.  It was a cheap surprise for him.  I've never done that before.

We thank each other when one of us prepares dinner....this happens daily. Just sayin.....

2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Very much. 

In Greenville, most of the single ladies shop at the best neighborhood grocery stores, like Publix. 

On Valentine's Day the available ladies will wear their finest dresses, some with pearls.  Pretty ladies shopping with new hairstyles.   

Is February too early for fascinators? 

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

This is somewhat accurate, IMHO.  At my work, we have had this Valentine thing where red rose orders are placed ahead of time, and there is a large discount on the flower order.  Several people's partners bought these for their special someone.  One of the other people in the office noticed that I received no flowers.  They decided to call me out on it.  They said something like "Where are your flowers?  Your husband didn't give you anything."  I corrected them.  I said I don't need flowers for some sort of validation, and I think they are an enormous waste of money.  There were whispers behind my back that day.  You can tell.  I think they felt that I was somehow hurt by this.  LOL  I have a nicer carbon bike than my husband has. 

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

He buys you non-holiday bike parts all the time, doesn't he?

Yes.  He does.  

If you had a life partner and they loved to ride, wouldn't you do the same?  If you had a gal that loved to ride, most guys would be stoked and do whatever they could to keep their partner rolling.  The more he inspires me, the better of a rider I become.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you had a life partner and they loved to ride, wouldn't you do the same?  If you had a gal that loved to ride, most guys would be stoked and do whatever they could to keep their partner rolling.  The more he inspires me, the better of a rider I become.

Come to think of it, I pretty much have gotten every piece of cycling accouterments for my wife that she currently has.  Funny, eh?  It is all in an effort to keep her riding and removing obstacles that would cause her not to want to ride.  Just a few weeks ago, I was topping up her tires, and noticed the tube was failing at the valve area.  Off came the wheels, out came the tubes, new ones replaced, and a little light cleaning as well.  She will never be the wiser, but hopefully the bike keeps running smoothly :)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Come to think of it, I pretty much have gotten every piece of cycling accouterments for my wife that she currently has.  Funny, eh?  It is all in an effort to keep her riding and removing obstacles that would cause her not to want to ride.  Just a few weeks ago, I was topping up her tires, and noticed the tube was failing at the valve area.  Off came the wheels, out came the tubes, new ones replaced, and a little light cleaning as well.  She will never be the wiser, but hopefully the bike keeps running smoothly :)

I have a bit more involvement in my bike for daily use than some gals.  He does help me a ton.  Tubeless recharging, tuneups, fork, shock rebuilds...  It is staggering how much he does for my bike.

My gal friend won't fill her tires, can't change a flat, doesn't add lube or wide down stanchions, or chain.  I try and coach her on this stuff.  One of her homework assignments was to watch some you tube videos I sent her and change out her tube.  It is a necessary skill for a mountainbiker.

57 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is somewhat accurate, IMHO.  At my work, we have had this Valentine thing where red rose orders are placed ahead of time, and there is a large discount on the flower order.  Several people's partners bought these for their special someone.  One of the other people in the office noticed that I received no flowers.  They decided to call me out on it.  They said something like "Where are your flowers?  Your husband didn't give you anything."  I corrected them.  I said I don't need flowers for some sort of validation, and I think they are an enormous waste of money.  There were whispers behind my back that day.  You can tell.  I think they felt that I was somehow hurt by this.  LOL  I have a nicer carbon bike than my husband has. 

Yes.  He does.  

If you had a life partner and they loved to ride, wouldn't you do the same?  If you had a gal that loved to ride, most guys would be stoked and do whatever they could to keep their partner rolling.  The more he inspires me, the better of a rider I become.

This is awesome.  Real consideration and little kindnesses every day are so much better than grand gestures.  Substance over flashy gift is something I will take any day.

41 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is awesome.  Real consideration and little kindnesses every day are so much better than grand gestures.  Substance over flashy gift is something I will take any day.

You missed an important part of the work dynamic interaction with another lady.  I invalidated her love of flowers from her husband, by basically calling the whole idea trash.

Who's the bitch now?  <She had it coming, trying to invalidate my relationship, while hoisting theirs up> 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You missed an important part of the work dynamic interaction with another lady.  I invalidated her love of flowers from her husband, by basically calling the whole idea trash.

Who's the bitch now?  <She had it coming, trying to invalidate my relationship, while hoisting theirs up> 

Females are too complicated for us guys to figure out. :wacko: So you both noticed that you need your husbands to validate you, just in different ways, and beotch slapped each other?  That seems way too confrontational for me.

• Haha 2

We do a little bit for each other. A card. Sometimes dinner if there is something worthwhile without a bunch of craziness involved. 

We got indoctrinated a bit when we both worked at the same company. It was mostly women so there was a lot of peer pressure placed on both of us. I never got her a big bouquet. Just a little something so no one could say anything. My husband of the year points came when I would bring her a coffee from a place we both like, or scrape the ice off her windows if I left before her, etc. The fact I did nice things for her on random days meant more for her and basically had her winning the office validation games

• Heart 1