Hey jsharr.. Splan this to me

KrAzY

The Boy Scouts of America made this model.   

Boy Only Troops and Girl Only Troops for Scouts BSA.  A Chartered Organization that already has a boy Troop can choose to charter a linked girl Troop or stay all boy.  Or a new girl Troop can form that is all female Scouts.  Leadership can be coed for either and has been.

family_scouting_structure_2019.jpg

Cub Scout Packs can be all boy, all girls or mixed.

Sea Scout Ships and Venturing Crews and Explorer Posts were already co ed for decades

Remember this is the first year to have girls at all levels of Scouting and there will be bumps in the road.  I am dealing with one now.  
I am co chair for our district Camporee and we have 7 girl Troops attending.  We have to have separate campsites for them and we have to decide if they will compete with the boy Troops or compete just against girl Troops.
I am thinking of creating a rule where all newly formed first year troops compete in a first year troop category and after that, they all compete against each other.

• Heart 1

The Boy Scouts was started during the Hypernationalism era, when we were conquering countries like the Phillipines.

The growth of cities made them worried, they wanted cannon fodder that knew the basics. So they started the Boy Scouts. So at summer camp, they're kids, in the scouts they are 'troops'.

4 minutes ago, late said:

The Boy Scouts was started during the Hypernationalism era, when we were conquering countries like the Phillipines.

The growth of cities made them worried, they wanted cannon fodder that knew the basics. So they started the Boy Scouts. So at summer camp, they're kids, in the scouts they are 'troops'.

Now tell me the one a bout the lost little girl and the bears.

Baden Powell was a failure at going to college, saw an ad to join the Army, studied hard, aced his entrance exams, became a Scout, wrote a book about it to train other Army scouts, came back to England as a war hero, saw that young men had taken his book and formed troops and patrols on their own so he started the Scouting movement with encouragement from others and rewrote his book "Aids to Scouting" to "Scouting for Boys

At a World Scout Jamboree in London in 1920 Baden Powell was hailed as the Chief Scout of the World and seeing thousands of boys from 34 countries coming together for Scouting had a great impact on his life moving forward.
Here is a quote from his closing speech at that Jamboree

"Brother Scouts. Differences exist between the peoples of the world in thought and sentiment, just as they do in language and physique. The Jamboree has taught us that if we exercise mutual forbearance and give and take, then there is sympathy and harmony. If it be your will, let us go forth fully determined that we will develop among ourselves and our boys that comradeship, through the world wide spirit of the Scout brotherhood, so that we may help to develop peace and happiness in the world and goodwill among men".

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

The vision statement of The BSA is "Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Law."

If you need me to quote the Scout Oath and Law, simply ask.

35 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:
38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

What makes you think I was wearing pants when I made that, n00b?

Jsharr +1

Yes, +1 for sure, but hopefully he will also remove the pants from the avatar!  I prefer accuracy! Nice to have the image burned in my brain of jsharr without pants.  I usually picture him without a shirt, but this pants-free look is pretty refreshing.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yes, +1 for sure, but hopefully he will also remove the pants from the avatar!  I prefer accuracy! Nice to have the image burned in my brain of jsharr without pants.  I usually picture him without a shirt, but this pants-free look is pretty refreshing.

image.png.bc6c19c1b65491c7c3e12a825b974f80.png

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Now tell me the one a bout the lost little girl and the bears.

Baden Powell was a failure at going to college, saw an ad to join the Army, studied hard, aced his entrance exams, became a Scout, wrote a book about it to train other Army scouts, came back to England as a war hero, saw that young men had taken his book and formed troops and patrols on their own so he started the Scouting movement with encouragement from others and rewrote his book "Aids to Scouting" to "Scouting for Boys

At a World Scout Jamboree in London in 1920 Baden Powell was hailed as the Chief Scout of the World and seeing thousands of boys from 34 countries coming together for Scouting had a great impact on his life moving forward.
Here is a quote from his closing speech at that Jamboree

"Brother Scouts. Differences exist between the peoples of the world in thought and sentiment, just as they do in language and physique. The Jamboree has taught us that if we exercise mutual forbearance and give and take, then there is sympathy and harmony. If it be your will, let us go forth fully determined that we will develop among ourselves and our boys that comradeship, through the world wide spirit of the Scout brotherhood, so that we may help to develop peace and happiness in the world and goodwill among men".

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

The vision statement of The BSA is "Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Law."

If you need me to quote the Scout Oath and Law, simply ask.

It's history.

Over the years, it's gotten less martial, but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Again, wrong.  Here is BP in his own words.   Listen carefully around 2:00.   

Listen carefully around 2:00

I was a Boy Scout, I know the yada yada.

Our hypernationalist era is obscure enough that it didn't quickly pop up in google. But it's still just history, I didn't make it up. A good college library will have what you need.

Just now, late said:

Our hypernationalist era is obscure enough that it didn't quickly pop up in google. But it's still just history, I didn't make it up. A good college library will have what you need.

You have to realize that the entire movement is led by volunteers and that each unit will vary based on where it is chartered and who leads it.  Your troop may have been nationalistic or militaristic, but overall, the BSA is not either of those.  Its vision and mission are to produce men and women of chararacter to serve in their communities.

I was a Scout as a youth and have been an adult volunteer for 12 years now and my experience leads me not to agree with your statement, now or in the past.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

The stereotypes of these two organizations are clear.  The boys badges are more about doing things, where the girls badges are more about nurturing others.    Girls have a badge called "Savvy shopper"  and "Cookie CEO."  Boys have "cycling"  and "engineering."  

?

And citizenship in the community, citizenship in the nation, citizenship in the world, cooking, communication, first aid, and the list goes on and on.  Currently there are 135 merit badges a Scout can earn.  The outdoor adventure portion of the program is what has the most appeal to the youth, regardless of gender.  

3 hours ago, late said:

Revisionist history....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, jsharr said:

The Boy Scouts of America made this model.   

Boy Only Troops and Girl Only Troops for Scouts BSA.  A Chartered Organization that already has a boy Troop can choose to charter a linked girl Troop or stay all boy.  Or a new girl Troop can form that is all female Scouts.  Leadership can be coed for either and has been.

family_scouting_structure_2019.jpg

Cub Scout Packs can be all boy, all girls or mixed.

Sea Scout Ships and Venturing Crews and Explorer Posts were already co ed for decades

Remember this is the first year to have girls at all levels of Scouting and there will be bumps in the road.  I am dealing with one now.  
I am co chair for our district Camporee and we have 7 girl Troops attending.  We have to have separate campsites for them and we have to decide if they will compete with the boy Troops or compete just against girl Troops.
I am thinking of creating a rule where all newly formed first year troops compete in a first year troop category and after that, they all compete against each other.

So, are they outside the circle of trust?