Hey, you people who play musical instruments

TrentonMakes

What/where have you been playing lately?

I got a compressor pedal over the holidays and combined with a little overdrive I am enjoying generating nearly endless sustain....

But I'm disappointed that my friends and I still can't find a time when we can all get together to play.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

sigh.

Sorry, low hanging fruit!  

I was playing with a neighbour for about 10 years until the barstid moved away.  Still in the area but just far enough away that it is inconvenient.   I am a solo guitarist and drummer now. :(  It is still good but jamming is fun. 

• Heart 2

I play guitar at my brother's house every once in a while - he's plays base in a band called "Switch," that's a bunch of 50+ musicians that practice every week and play for money 3-6 nights/month though they're doing more for fun than anything. But unusually I have been playing piano mostly solo as of late.

• Heart 1

Played in a few bar bands years back. Haven't been on stage in almost 25 years. 

Every once and a while I get together with the neighbor for some front porch picking. When I retire from the factory life I would mind putting together a 2 or 3  piece playing coffee shops. 

For now I'm happy playing with myself. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Compressor is a must, as long as you are willing to turn it off for some blues lead stuff.  I got a Keeley reverb/delay for Christmas.  Finished building the boost circuit into my 2-1 pedal so I can use the Gretsch and Strat with the same settings.  I think my pedalboard is now complete.  Wah-Compressor-Distortion-OD-Rev/Delay-chorus.  Plus the 5 button switch for the amp.  Built a pedalboard from leftover pieces of the 100 year old cabinet I turned into a kitchen island.  2 power supplies, all wired together for easy plug in.  Wireless would be cool.....

I have to get a rehearsal or 2 scheduled soon, the band has been down since before Christmas.  Still playing at church, but I don't always get to use the pedals

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, 12string said:

Compressor is a must, as long as you are willing to turn it off for some blues lead stuff.  I got a Keeley reverb/delay for Christmas.  Finished building the boost circuit into my 2-1 pedal so I can use the Gretsch and Strat with the same settings.  I think my pedalboard is now complete.  Wah-Compressor-Distortion-OD-Rev/Delay-chorus.  Plus the 5 button switch for the amp.  Built a pedalboard from leftover pieces of the 100 year old cabinet I turned into a kitchen island.  2 power supplies, all wired together for easy plug in.  Wireless would be cool.....

I haven't had a chance to play along with the band since I got the compressor.  The sustain is nice but still need some dynamics for soloing.  A solo with too much compression can be truly boring.

A friend of mine got a 3D printer and he'd made a small plastic base for a pedalboard.  I made an offhand comment about how I'd order one, and next time we got together he had a pair of them for me.  I cut a piece of wood to fit these end pieces, wrapped some carpet around it and bingo.  But at the time I only had two pedals (OD and distortion - well, plus the wah which I never use).  I got the compressor and now since I have space for at least two more I'll have to fill it up.  I have reverb onboard the Fender tweed (and that's almost always set way up).

My ability is finicky and maybe my ears are too but I was really happy with the sounds I was making last night.

12 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

since I have space for at least two more I'll have to fill it up. 

n+1 is universal!

My amp has a bunch of amp models and effects, I was using the footswitch to add reverb.  But none of them are as rich as pedals.  And having the knobs right there is handy.  I sometimes use my compressor as a lead boost, just pull the attack way back to get intonations.

With the changes I now have to reprogram my footswitch.  I can put 8 different amp models in, now that I don't need the amp effects.  We play a wide range of music, so I'll use them all.  I was stuck on 2 amps, 2 amps + reverb for each guitar 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

My amp has a bunch of amp models and effects

What do you have?  I bought myself one of the new-ish Fender Mustang amps when I started playing with this group, but then my brother loaned me the tweed (tube) Fender.  He also has a Twin Reverb - and two toddlers! - so I don't think he'll be asking me to return this anytime soon. :D  I will buy it from him, if he asks.  I still like to play around with the Mustang amp settings once in a while but the big Fender sounds sweet.

It's a VOX VT-80.  It was that or the Mustang, I just like that Vox sound, and the output wattage knob is great.   Got a great deal.  Bought a VT50 from Zzounds, they shipped me 2 different amps that had problems, the third time they sent the 80.  All done in a week.  My son's Princeton Reverb is in the basement, needs a chip, I need to do that.  I loaned out my old Peavey Pacer, OK amp, but has a great spring reverb.

• Heart 1