Local News? Do You Even Bother Watching It?

Razors Edge

We have an independant station KTLA not affiliated with CBS, NBC or ABC.  Their news casts are always the top rated news in the greater LA market.  I watch their morning news for traffic, weather & such.

What I like about them is they don’t take sides, avoid spin and just report the news in a friendly light manner (especially the morning news).  Our cable network got into anpissing contest with Tribune, (owner of this network) and I realized how much I hate network news the week they were off the cable platform.

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No local news TV, rare national TV news. No local newspaper for me, just national electronic subscriptions.

When I was growing up we had a little old neighbor lady that spent the first half of her life in Pittsburgh.  Both of her adult children lived in Pittsburgh.  She had the Pittsburgh Post-Gazett delivered by mail daily.  I remember it fondly.

I also watch the morning news for about 15-20 minutes to catch the main headlines and the weather.

When I was growing up we always watched the evening news and my Mom still does.   A number of years ago I got a tour of the studio for my parents since they'd watched the same channel for 40 years.  The lifestyle reporter gave us a nice tour of the offices and showed us all  the offices and editing rooms.  Then we got to watch them film the evening news from the studio and meet all the newscasters.  My parents really enjoyed that far more than you'd expect.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm afraid that morning news is too much about traffic......I don't have anywhere to go.  It's also got a lot of celebrity news and what they did last night.....meh.  There is weather reporting but that's something the local news no longer does well as the push for sensationalism.

The evening news is where it's at.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We have an independant station KTLA not affiliated with CBS, NBC or ABC.  Their news casts are always the top rated news in the greater LA market.  I watch their morning news for traffic, weather & such.

What I like about them is they don’t take sides, avoid spin and just report the news in a friendly light manner (especially the morning news).  Our cable network got into anpissing contest with Tribune, (owner of this network) and I realized how much I hate network news the week they were off the cable platform.

I agree. Almost all cable news are shit shows.

I try to catch the local am news. Got to catch Bob on the weather and everything else. He is mentoring all the young kids on their first TV news job. It's a bit awkward at times but endearing too. They just had a big shake up & a couple of the regulars left. Bob just keeps on grinding. It's a beautiful day in Central Oregon!

the studio is about a half mile from our house so it really is the local news. There is a park across the street from the studio. They did a stand up there a while back. That is how low budget they is

30 minutes ago, groupw said:

I listen to NPR in the morning while reading the paper. I listen to NPR in the afternoon as well. I also like the Daily Show. For a fake news show, they do educate more than I expect. Also helps to counter all the Fox News that plays at so many of my clients!

But didn't you know Fox was fair and balanced.  It's true.  Believe it because it's the largest media source out there and they're telling you the media can't be believed.

• Haha 1