Noob Advice - Starting to ride for exercise

PatBiker

Howdy,

I have been stalking for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and ask a question.

I've been an off and on (mostly off) runner for the past maybe 3 years. But I just cant seem to stay motivated with it, and to be honest, I really don't enjoy running. However I want to stay active with cardio, especially as I begin to enter my mid-forties. I've always wanted to get involved with cycling and I'm now ready to take the plunge and try it.

Of course my first question is: What kind of bike should I start with? I'm interested in the mountain bike style. I'll probably stick to roads / country roads, and dirt trails, however I wouldn't mind going off trail once in a while. I don't want to brake the bank on something I may not take to, so I'm looking to spend around $400. I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks Pat!

Sounds almost exactly where I was when I started biking (although a bit younger...I'm about same age as you now).  I had similar idea...I wanted to ride on road/trail, but was intimidated by the 'bent over' position of road bikes. I was also looking for a lower price level to enter at (rather than a $3000 carbon road bike).

I think your best compromise is a hybrid or 'comfort' style bike. Most bike makers have some bikes in that category. Here is what I ended up starting with.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/trek/navigator300/#/us/en/archive-model/details?url=us/en/bikes/2006/archive/trek/navigator300

Also popular, similar are hybrid bikes, like this one that I almost went with (if I had it to do over again, I probably would).

http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_2_fx/#

Like  I said, just about every bike maker has bikes in this category....don't feel that you have to go with Trek. Try them out. If you go to a bike shop, they are generally happy to let you test ride one.

Sounds like you are already on the right track then. Hopefully you have some good bike shops to look at other brands too...just in case you don't find the Trek to feel right. Sometimes you don't know that one bike doesn't fit right (without experience) until you try another bike that does (or vica versa).

Where do you live?

In the sticks. Close to Faribault, MN. Hopefully not much longer as I am hoping to relocate to warmer climate.

Cool. Where?

Fairly slim pickings in Fairbault, MN.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=bikes&find_loc=Faribault%2C+MN&ns=1&ls=97def4ab260bff3d

At quick glance, Milltown and Mike's are you best bets.

I'd say a hybrid sure fits what you are looking for.  I am thinking of picking up one myself so I will have something to ride on easy trails and cinder bike paths, but will also be ok on the roads to get there.  I have had nothing but road bikes for the last 40 years.

The Trek 7.2 is what I was looking at last night. I haven't had any test rides yet, but will this weekend. Thanks Pat!

I was just going to say that I Would look at something like the trek fx series.  They are lighter than a typical hybrid.  Not quite as agressive as a road bike.  I know a lot of people that ride them and love them.  You could really do some serious miles on one of those if you worked up to it.  I like them bikes a lot.

Sounds like a good plan to go with an entry level bike for your first.  I'm a noob too.  Three years ago I bought a pretty nice Cannondale hybrid.  I rode it for a little more than a year and then moved to a Specialized Roubaix.  During that time I started clipping in and riding with "proper" cycling attire.  If you're not sure if it's something you are going to stick with, you don't want to drop $5,000 on a nice road bike to have it turn into a garage ornament.

There are lots of used bikes for sale, take a look at one of those.

Don't buy from Walmart or another chain store.  If you can, go to a bike shop and get fit properly for a bike.  You'll feel miserable if it doesn't fit you correctly and you'll assume it's you and not the bike.

Enjoy!

There are lots of used bikes for sale, take a look at one of those.

Don't buy from Walmart or another chain store.  If you can, go to a bike shop and get fit properly for a bike.  You'll feel miserable if it doesn't fit you correctly and you'll assume it's you and not the bike.

Enjoy!

Great points!!

Another thing I hate about Chain store bikes....they scour the earth to find the worst no name components (gears, derailleurs, brakes, etc...) and it's the components that make a bike as much or more than the frame. People think Walmart bikes are the same aren't paying attention to the noname components. I remember my Sears Huffy 14 speed that I bought in college. It lasted less than a year before gears started seizing up.

What about Novara at REI? I was traveling and stopped into and REI and saw this. http://www.rei.com/product/832566/novara-big-buzz-bike-2014

I'm not super familiar with them, specifically, but REI should be a good place for bike shopping. I know many bike peeps who love their Novara bikes. Out here where I am, REI is a local shop, so to speak. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest son rides a Trek 7.2FX that was given to him by an awesome member at that other forum that is full of love.  

Great bike.  perfect for roads, cycle paths and light offroad stuff.  You could easily put a bit more aggressive cyclocross tire on it if you wanted but the stock tires are okay for this .