Jump to content

Central Park NYC


Dirtyhip
 Share

Recommended Posts



It is understandable that the animals, except for rats, have mostly fled or been  killed.  So, you don't get the animal experience there.  Which might actually be nice,  Around here. you are being stalked by mountain lions, could get smashed or stomped by deer, could get sprayed by skunk, bitten by gophers (I have been BTW...) be attacked by a bear...  The animals can be menaces. At least RO is safe from this sort of thing.  :dontknow:

  • Awesome 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is understandable that the animals, except for rats, have mostly fled or been  killed.  So, you don't get the animal experience there.  Which might actually be nice,  Around here. you are being stalked by mountain lions, could get smashed or stomped by deer, could get sprayed by skunk, bitten by gophers (I have been BTW...) be attacked by a bear...  The animals can be menaces. At least RO is safe from this sort of thing.  :dontknow:

I resemble that statement. I guess you don’t need to be attacked by animals, you can just worry about getting mugged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dangerous critters are still there.  They walk on two legs though.  I think most of the trails are paved.  I do remember that some people were having a good time sailing RC sailboats in the lake.  On one trip to New York City I was required to wear the white uniform while on liberty.  I sat for an hour or so at the edge of the park closest to Columbus Circle.  When I got up to leave I noticed I was covered in black specks.  :huh:

I wonder what the life expectancy is for New Yorkers vs where you live DH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The dangerous critters are still there.  They walk on two legs though.  I think most of the trails are paved.  I do remember that some people were having a good time sailing RC sailboats in the lake.  On one trip to New York City I was required to wear the white uniform while on liberty.  I sat for an hour or so at the edge of the park closest to Columbus Circle.  When I got up to leave I noticed I was covered in black specks.  :huh:

I wonder what the life expectancy is for New Yorkers vs where you live DH.

Black specks?  You lost me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Answers:

No, there is no mountain biking in Central Park.  There are dangerous animals in the park, there are rabid animals like raccoon and fucked up squirrels and untrained dogs, plus the red-tailed hawks eating pigeons and other birds attacking or pooping on random people.  No dangerous animals otherwise.

Is the park nice?  Yes, for what it is, it is pretty amazing.  Is it nature?  Not by any stretch of the imagination could it be called nature or natural, it is simply the best that can be accomplished in a city the size of NYC.  You may gain momentary solitude of a sort if you can find hidden places, but your solitude will be momentary because someone will stumble into you.  But if you know true nature, it not even close, not .0000000000000001% of the way there.  Like I said though, for what it is, it is the best that can be hoped for, and some cool stuff is there.

The riding in the park is actually nice if you go early enough, the 6 mile loop has got an extended climb (longish for the area but not steep), a nice descent, and a bit of the little rollies and flats.  If you go a bit later (like after 10:00am), the ride will be kind of miserable.  Tourists rent bikes an meander from side to side, there are walkers who also meander and not look, there are the horsey-carriages, then the pedicabs.  Not so bad?  Not really, until you multiply this times 1,000 or more, and nobody is paying any attention to anyone or anything other than themselves.  Fucking tourists, but how else are they going to act?  Natural behavior is what they are exhibiting and all.

So anyway, I suppose the answer depends on what you expect.  If you know what you are getting into, it is nice enough and diversionary and all that.  If you want a bit of the woods, you will be disappointed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Answers:

No, there is no mountain biking in Central Park.  There are dangerous animals in the park, there are rabid animals like raccoon and fucked up squirrels and untrained dogs, plus the red-tailed hawks eating pigeons and other birds attacking or pooping on random people.  No dangerous animals otherwise.

Is the park nice?  Yes, for what it is, it is pretty amazing.  Is it nature?  Not by any stretch of the imagination could it be called nature or natural, it is simply the best that can be accomplished in a city the size of NYC.  You may gain momentary solitude of a sort if you can find hidden places, but your solitude will be momentary because someone will stumble into you.  But if you know true nature, it not even close, not .0000000000000001% of the way there.  Like I said though, for what it is, it is the best that can be hoped for, and some cool stuff is there.

The riding in the park is actually nice if you go early enough, the 6 mile loop has got an extended climb (longish for the area but not steep), a nice descent, and a bit of the little rollies and flats.  If you go a bit later (like after 10:00am), the ride will be kind of miserable.  Tourists rent bikes an meander from side to side, there are walkers who also meander and not look, there are the horsey-carriages, then the pedicabs.  Not so bad?  Not really, until you multiply this times 1,000 or more, and nobody is paying any attention to anyone or anything other than themselves.  Fucking tourists, but how else are they going to act?  Natural behavior is what they are exhibiting and all.

So anyway, I suppose the answer depends on what you expect.  If you know what you are getting into, it is nice enough and diversionary and all that.  If you want a bit of the woods, you will be disappointed.

It is the woods, light. Our park has mountain lions running around protecting their deer kills.   

The damn tourists around here drive like assholes. Their map reading I assume is part of the cause.  I looked, and it all appears to be bike path type riding there.  Maybe the fat biking would be fun right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is the woods, light. Our park has mountain lions running around protecting their deer kills.   

The damn tourists around here drive like assholes. Their map reading I assume is part of the cause.  I looked, and it all appears to be bike path type riding there.  Maybe the fat biking would be fun right now. 

Just go to Whistler.. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...