Is it possible to run out of words?

Square Wheels

Just now, Square Wheels said:

The two early 20 year olds in front of us are a seat apart.  I don't think either has taken a breath since before we took off.  I hope the plane crashes soon, I need relief.

I was on a redeye from Seattle to DC, and had a older woman a couple rows behind me who talked - loudly - the entire flight.  For those who don't know what a redeye is, it is an overnight flight where folks can usually grab some sleep.  The Millenial next to her politely listened to her up until about 1am,and then put her headphones back on, pulled up her hoodie, and ignored her. The nice country fellow next to her then became the target and never told her to take a break.

The flight attendants didn't seem to mind.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I just asked the pilot to let me off at the next stop.

2 hours and counting.

No noise canceling head phones?  I never travel without them.  And usually have ear plugs too (which my wife usually likes better for sleeping). 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

On WilburAire they gag the non first class passengers. 

58 minutes until we land.  I asked for a parachute,  they gave me a tight fitting jacket that makes me hug myself.  I think it's defective. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

No noise canceling head phones?  I never travel without them.  And usually have ear plugs too (which my wife usually likes better for sleeping). 

Nope, my wife has the fancy new Bose.  They are home.  I'm notorius for forgetting things.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We're visiting her family in Atlanta.   We'll drive up to NC to check out a retirement town.  We drive right through Greenville.   I suspect he'll concoct a lame excuse to not meet up.

Naa.  He's probably going to want to take your wife to dinner.  Watch out, moonpies and Cheerwine can be seductive.

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We're visiting her family in Atlanta.   We'll drive up to NC to check out a retirement town.  We drive right through Greenville.   I suspect he'll concoct a lame excuse to not meet up.

That close and no effort to meet is just so wong on every level.  You must meet up, it is tremendously important.

• Heart 1

I had two hockey heads talking ice all the way from Tampa to Buffalo a couple years back. Very distracting. Couldn’t even read my book. Part way through I realized one of them was Hall of Fame coach, Scotty Bowman. The other was an NHL scout.  I said hello at the end of the flight when we were waiting to get off. Neither of them recognized me. And Scotty said my beloved Sabre’s stunk. Turns out he was right. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I honesty cannot remember the last time I flew commercial.  Must have been about 8 or 9 years ago.  I'd be fine to never do that again. 

WAIT! What if the Cyclocross Worlds are in Europe (like most years) and you're needed in the pit???? Are you gonna let your son down or are planning on leasing a plane just for that trip?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

WAIT! What if the Cyclocross Worlds are in Europe (like most years) and you're needed in the pit???? Are you gonna let your son down or are planning on leasing a plane just for that trip?

I will board a giant aluminum tube of death for that. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Eww!  I have driven by plenty but have never gone in.  Am I missing something?  Is it as good as Shoney's or IHOP? 

Waffle House has this weird egalitarian vibe, despite it having the trappings that suggest otherwise.  Pricing is good, there is no pretense involved at all.  Everything is dirt cheap and nobody gives a shit if you are rich or poor or have been to jail that week or not.  It is reliable.  The food is not high-quality, but is tasty.  Consistent in a way, and also the inconsistencies are consistent.  The cooks are good, and they don't take shit.  They don't need your shit or management's.

You are missing something, but you won't know what it is until you have been there at least 4 times.  It is for the masses who think and those who do not.  It feels good to be in a Waffle House.  If you robbed the rich to give to the poor, you would consider buying everyone meals at the Waffle House.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They are in Denmark in 2019. If Leif Erikson can make it back and forth on a wooden sail boat, P8 can also especially with his Navy experience.

The USA Cross Nats are in Tacoma Washington in 2019. That might even take longer by boat with going down the Ohio River, Mississippi River, Panama Canal and all. I suggest that they ride their bikes to it. Good training.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

They are in Denmark in 2019. If Leif Erikson can make it back and forth on a wooden sail boat, P8 can also especially with his Navy experience.

The USA Cross Nats are in Tacoma Washington in 2019. That might even take longer by boat with going down the Ohio River, Mississippi River, Panama Canal and all. I suggest that they ride their bikes to it. Good training.

I didn't even consider sailing, but that is a better albeit slower option for sure!  Certainly, transatlantic cruises occur every spring and fall as ships relocate, and the Queen Mary 2 - a proper ocean liner - makes regular Atlantic crossings (NYC<->London/Southampton) & even allows you to bring your DOG!

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Waffle House has this weird egalitarian vibe, despite it having the trappings that suggest otherwise.  Pricing is good, there is no pretense involved at all.  Everything is dirt cheap and nobody gives a shit if you are rich or poor or have been to jail that week or not.  It is reliable.  The food is not high-quality, but is tasty.  Consistent in a way, and also the inconsistencies are consistent.  The cooks are good, and they don't take shit.  They don't need your shit or management's.

You are missing something, but you won't know what it is until you have been there at least 4 times.  It is for the masses who think and those who do not.  It feels good to be in a Waffle House.  If you robbed the rich to give to the poor, you would consider buying everyone meals at the Waffle House.

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That close and no effort to meet is just so wong on every level.  You must meet up, it is tremendously important.

Talk to @AirwickWithCheese, he's being very evasive. 

14 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...Asheville ?

Yup

3 hours ago, 2Far said:

Dood, where are ya headphones?

Before headphones became a socially acceptable thing, I put in earplugs before we left the gate.

Forgot them.  :(

• Whatever 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Worlds are in Arkansas in 2022, I can drive that!  And G will be oldest in his AG, last year as a junior. 

• Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Worlds are in Arkansas in 2022, I can drive that!  And G will be oldest in his AG, last year as a junior. 

If he makes it, I'd do my best to get there to watch.

Also as the shortest way from Louisville to Fayetteville is right by my house, you got a place to stay to break up the 9+ hour drive.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

If he makes it, I'd do my best to get there to watch.

Also as the shortest way from Louisville to Fayetteville is right by my house, you got a place to stay to break up the 9+ hour drive.

That is what is driving him right now.  We'll see what happens when he really discovers girls. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

My 'wisdom' came from Google Maps. Left to my own devices, I'd probably thought I-65 South to I-40 West would be shorter.

That's what I thought until I visited Uncle Google's first cousin, Google Maps. L'ville to AR via St Louis does not sound right.