Has Cheese hit the jackpot but refuses to collect?

Road Runner

?

Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too

by JEFFREY COLLINS, AP2 minutes ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- 

The winner of a $1.54 billion lottery jackpot in South Carolina has yet to come forward. That means the state of South Carolina might be a big loser too.

Economic officials on Thursday removed the estimated $61 million windfall the winner was expected to pay in state income taxes from tax and other estimates.

That extra money had been included as the governor and lawmakers prepared their spending priorities at the beginning of the year. An extra $61 million could buy new voting machines for the entire state, give a nearly 2 percent raise to all South Carolina teachers or put a police officer in every public school in the state. It is about 0.5 percent of the money lawmakers have control over in the state budget.

One winning ticket in the Oct. 23 Mega Millions drawing was sold at the KC Mart convenience store in Simpsonville, a suburb of Greenville. The winner has 180 days to come forward and claim the $1.54 billion prize paid over 30 years, or a $878 million lump sum.

That deadline runs out in 64 days at 5 p.m. April 19, South Carolina Lottery spokeswoman Holli Armstrong said.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Was there in November to get a pepsi when I was coming home from Fountain Inn to look at a house. 

Squirrely looking place, but they had Cokes and moonpies so I loved them. 

You should take WoWheels there.  She likes squirrely things.

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I really don't think he was....   Bringing him up was Wilbur's way of showing respect. 

Carl died of exposure to the elements and I think it also listed consumption but I am not positive. 

Yankees don’t die of consumption.  When Speed Demon’s husband shows up you can take him to visit Carl’s grave site.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Whoever it is, I don't understand why they are pussyfooting around.  Unless they are getting their divorce finalized prior to claiming the prize.  :)

Waiting to the last minute to claim the prize could be dangerous.  Anything could happen.  

They are probably scatter- brianed like me and either forgot or misplaced it. :(

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

They are probably scatter- brianed like me and either forgot or misplaced it. :(

I would bet that they sought legal advice and, as a result, the prize claim is being postponed until all the winner's financial affairs are put in the best possible order.   :)