How long does it take

Longjohn

to train for a half marathon if you don't need to win it, just survive it?

I just found out the local trails organization is sponsoring a half marathon in April around Lake Wilhelm. I have never wanted to run let alone a half marathon but this is my trail. I have rode that trail around the lake hundreds of times. I guess I need to start training tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Maybe just do the 5K?

This might be the wiser choice but I wouldn’t discount the half just yet.  It really depends on your current level of fitness as your starting point.  If you can run 3-5 miles now I’d say you have a chance.  If not maybe shoot for the 5k. 

The bigger concern is injury due to taking on too much too soon.

• Heart 1

If you are NOT a runner now, I would say at least 8 weeks, based on the number of weeks it took the new runners on the high school cross country teams I've coach over the years to complete 9 mile practice runs.

Our practices consisted of initial long distance running most days, then Mon-Wed-Fri interval work, sometimes 12-20 (depending on ability) 1/4 miles on the track or on hills or similar work and Tues-Thurs long runs of 5-9 miles for the runners able to handle it.  Athletes were expected to run on their own on the weekend days when we didn't have meets.

In my later 30's I usually ran 6 miles/day and rarely ran more than 9 miles before doing my first half-marathon, running with a fellow teacher who was a good long-distance runner. We swapped jokes and stories while running about 6 - 6.5 min/mile about the first 10 miles, then I began to hit "the wall" and tire and told him to go ahead while I slowed to about 8 min./mile over the last few miles. I also ran the Maryland Marathon when it was called the "Mean Marathon" that covered a lot of long hills north of the old Memorial Stadium.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

What's the time limit and is it a hilly dirt trail versus a paved course?  I basically walk half marathons and finish around 3.75 hours on relatively smooth city streets. I usually start 'training' a couple of months in advance but also walk about 3 miles a day three times a week anyway.

However running is evil. In early October I started to up my game by actually jogging/running to train for a hilly half with a time limit of 3.25 hours. It was going good until after a run my right knee started hurting. It still hurts and I had X-rays done on it just this past Monday. If feels a lot like my left knee did when I had to have surgery on it 30 years ago. Fortunately I can still ride without too much pain but every step hurts.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Have not done a shocker or received one either in those 54 years.

And, that's no surprise, either.

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

54 years here

Ya know, we've seen you picture. Is that, like 54 years since you became an adult? Or, maybe, 54 years since you first got pubic hair?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

54 years here and I still have not run a half marathon.

I suppose I’ve done 6, 2 back to back 3 times plus countless half’s in training....

Someone here once said something to the effect that a full is twice as far but so much more than twice as hard...

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I suppose I’ve done 6, 2 back to back 3 times plus countless half’s in training....

Someone here once said something to the effect that a full is twice as far but so much more than twice as hard...

I have never been twice as hard as anything

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Indeed.

Then there's an ultra. . .

Daughter#2 and #3 do ultras every year.  Crazy hard.  I played lots of basketball and was in good shape.  I did not run otherwise.  In 2017, after a Memorial day marathon, WoKzoo convinced me to do a July 4th 5k with her.  I had a month but was in good shape.  I had no intentions on running after that.  After the 5k I was hooked.  I kept running and had my sights on a 10K in the fall.  The more I ran the more I upped my sights.  At some time I figured I could do a 1/2.  I trained for that and did one in October.  The 1/2 messed with my right knee and I had to take some time off - no big issue.  In November I went back to playing basketball and late winter messed up a foot.  As the weather got better and my foot didn't I wanted something else to do.  A friend convinced me to go for a 20 mile bike ride with him and a friend and I was hooked on cycling.  So my running career spanned May through October of '07 with one 5K and one 1/2.  I never looked back.

Now Daughter#2 and # 3 ride with me and WoKzoo and them still do their marathons.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

How far/long can you run now without stopping?

Best bet is a run/walk, e.g., run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute; repeat. As you get fitter, increase the run time.

I can do a 5K, I have never even tried to run further. This is real familiar trail, I might discover why my wife and sister in law say it’s all hills. After you have ridden so long your definition of a hill changes. I told them there were only two hills on the 13 mile loop around the lake and I could show them an easy way to bypass them. We started on the easy side of the lake and they only made it half way and they quit on me and sent me to get the car. They said it was too hilly.

I’ve been care giver for my wife for awhile now and haven’t even made it to the gym. It might not be the best time for me to try this.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I can do a 5K, I have never even tried to run further. This is real familiar trail, I might discover why my wife and sister in law say it’s all hills. After you have ridden so long your definition of a hill changes. I told them there were only two hills on the 13 mile loop around the lake and I could show them an easy way to bypass them. We started on the easy side of the lake and they only made it half way and they quit on me and sent me to get the car. They said it was too hilly.

I’ve been care giver for my wife for awhile now and haven’t even made it to the gym. It might not be the best time for me to try this.

I've done 15 halfs, 1 full, and God only knows how many 5k, 10k, etc. If you haven't done it before, get to a qualified running shoe fitter. I drive 100 miles to Lincoln when testing new shoes. The Lincoln Running Co is great at analyzing your stride and recommending a shoe that will work. I'm sure there must be something near you. 

Check out the book Chi Running https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/chi-running-danny-dreyer/1009241939/2660940960918?st=PLA&sid=BNB_New+Marketplace+Shopping+Textbooks&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_c&gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT55wvsWp6o2ychMSOwC78o0DXHo4KcMj2x18imabN8Nu8z7-U4jmtyxoCsZEQAvD_BwE It takes the principles of Tai Chi and applies them to running. Really helped me a lot! 

My son ran marathons at a pretty high level. He set up training plans for my early halfs and full. Mostly interval work with 1 day/week of longer distance work. He was taught that intervals are the bricks to running fitnes and the long run is the mortar that holds them together. If you can get your long run up to 10 miles, you can do the half. 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Daughter#2 and #3 do ultras every year.  Crazy hard.  I played lots of basketball and was in good shape.  I did not run otherwise.  In 2017, after a Memorial day marathon, WoKzoo convinced me to do a July 4th 5k with her.  I had a month but was in good shape.  I had no intentions on running after that.  After the 5k I was hooked.  I kept running and had my sights on a 10K in the fall.  The more I ran the more I upped my sights.  At some time I figured I could do a 1/2.  I trained for that and did one in October.  The 1/2 messed with my right knee and I had to take some time off - no big issue.  In November I went back to playing basketball and late winter messed up a foot.  As the weather got better and my foot didn't I wanted something else to do.  A friend convinced me to go for a 20 mile bike ride with him and a friend and I was hooked on cycling.  So my running career spanned May through October of '07 with one 5K and one 1/2.  I never looked back.

Now Daughter#2 and # 3 ride with me and WoKzoo and them still do their marathons.

After I pulled the same Achilles for the 3rd time, I bought a bike. It was a high pull, up where it attached to the calf muscle. I'd had two buddies, about my same age at the time, go thru rupture & surgery for & really didn't want to be the third of "bad luck comes in threes"

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

After I pulled the same Achilles for the 3rd time, I bought a bike. It was a high pull, up where it attached to the calf muscle. I'd had two buddies, about my same age at the time, go thru rupture & surgery for & really didn't want to be the third of "bad luck comes in threes"

Ruptures are not good.  I’ve played BB with some guy over the years that have ruptured Achilles.  Gruesome.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, Longjohn said:

I just found out the local trails organization is sponsoring a half marathon in April around Lake Wilhelm. I have never wanted to run let alone a half marathon but this is my trail. I have rode that trail around the lake hundreds of times. I guess I need to start training tomorrow and see how it goes.

I didn't read all the responses above, but simply put, you can WALK a flat half marathon within the general "time limit" for one of these events.  Anything else you do is gravy - ie doing simple jog/walk intervals to knock your time down more, to actual "training" to get to where you mostly/fully jog the 13 miles.

So, if it is a combination race (folks competing) and event (folks participating), I'd look at the rules - if any are posted - for cut-offs or a split's time expectations, and calculate it you need to train to a certain pace or not.

I would recommend being realistic BEFOREHAND at what your walking and running strengths and weaknesses are to give you a go/no go decision point. I, for instance, get shin splints on pavement but not trails, so I prefer running on dirt trains with variations in ups and downs and scenery.  If you have a weak knee or funky hips or whatever, a few hours of walk/jog will irritate it - likely before the event as you build towards whatever you have settled on as you goal pace/time.

Have fun. 

Just a snippet of the rules from a local full & half near me:

The marathon course will close at six hours (13:45/mile pace). Please plan accordingly. The time limit will be strictly enforced. An early start is not offered. Course support will be withdrawn at 6 hours, or 1:30 pm. Do not register if you are unable to complete 26.2 miles in 6 (six) hours. No exceptions will be made. There is no strict time limit for the half marathon. Walkers are welcome for the half marathon.

• Heart 1

On 2/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, Longjohn said:

6 weeks. Is it paved or dirt?  What is the allowable time?