The world has changed.

maddmaxx

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The government deposited my Federal tax refund in my bank account in just 1 week from the time I filed it?  This is unprecedented.  

WTF has happened?

As a guess, a lot of cheaters will be getting away with it this year.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The government deposited my Federal tax refund in my bank account in just 1 week from the time I filed it?  This is unprecedented.  

WTF has happened?

Considering how efficient the IRS is in taking your income taxes from your paycheck, it's about time.

I'm going to start on my taxes today using Turbo Tax. I've worked for 3 different employers; moved money from two 401k's to another fund; and just maxed out my traditional IRA for 2018. It' going to be more difficult than previous years.

54 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Turbo Tax.  I've been with them for years.  The situation was relatively easy this year however as the standard deduction covered us like a blanket.  We just don't have any deductions left. 

Gotta think there are two reasons: 1) better and better automation of returns, and 2) lower and lower risk of audits across the board.  If the IRS just becomes a "trust" relationship, you have to assume it can be pretty easy to just process the tax stuff with mild automated checking for basic flags. 

39 minutes ago, late said:

I'm guessing that to catch up, they aren't doing everything they usually do, specifically automated checks for cheating.

I think that's mostly computerized these days.  The returns least likely to be audited however are going to be standard deduction, that's it that's all folks.  There's nothing there to cheat with.

States are getting a bit hyper about you paying your sales tax, but most of the small business's I shop with are already collecting sales tax and I don't make large appliance or automobile purchases out of state so not much problem there either.