Tax season is annoying

Dirtyhip

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We want to file and move forward knowing what the tab is.  There are monies that we are holding as I await our tax whippings from 2018.  Our investment accounts have still not released our 1099s. I know approximately the numbers, but we can't finalize until we get those. 

Grrr

I was under the impression that tax documents were required from sources on or before Jan31.  I'd get on the phone to kick some ass.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm starting my taxes today but also waiting on 1099s. 

Actually I checked and I have all the documents that I need.

Just found out that maxing out my Traditional IRA for 2018 didn't help reduce taxes at all and probably won't in 2019 either. However considering that I had the money in a savings account only earning a couple of $ a month, investing it was a good idea anyway.

6 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We want to file and move forward knowing what the tab is.  There are monies that we are holding as I await our tax whippings from 2018.  Our investment accounts have still not released our 1099s. I know approximately the numbers, but we can't finalize until we get those. 

Grrr

I'm also still waiting for 1099's - from stock DRIPs.

In most advanced nations today the tax calculations are done by the government, you get a copy of the alteady filled-out form and can make adjustments to it and resubmit it.  Otherwise, you never have to do taxes unless you have a complicated financial situations.

There have been a number of bills submitted in the House to do that over the years, but H. & R. Block and others have spent millions successfully lobbying to kill them. 

I just finished ours. Cutting Uncle Sam a check for a little over 2k? 

we upped our withholding after paying in last year but apparently the tax changes last year negated that. We’ll up it again this year. 

• Sad 1

Getting about the same refund as last year. I didn't change my withholding but did get a substantial bonus and a few bigger paychecks from working a lot of overtime on holidays, those checks got hit hard by the tax man, but now it's all evening out.

Guys bitch that overtime isn't worth working because of taxes. They don't seem to understand that the actual tax bill is calculated at the end of the year and the withholding is estimated.

They are right that if you make less, you will probably pay less.