trying to muster up enthusiasm

shootingstar

About my performance/career development goals this year. Part of a process at work when meeting with manager.

I've enjoyed my career for so long and have learned so much from different jobs. Somehow at thjs stage of life,  thinking about work-related courses is requiring more effort of me. I can't even get stoked about a conference.  I wasn't always like this at all.  

I enjoy my job, like earning money and right now, am in the midst of a major corporate project.

So how I feel right now, must be the start of wanting retirement..

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So how I feel right now, must be the start of wanting retirement..

Wait until you are 1.5 years from retiring as I am. I haven't done any optional career development training in about 4 years. They want me to get my Cloud cert but I'm not going to. Heck I'm not even doing the work to keep my security clearance because it runs out in September 2020 and I plan on retiring then at the latest.

I've avoided any long term projects that won't be done before I retire. I spend most of my time maintaining existing systems instead and let the other guys work on the long term stuff. Work doesn't excite me like in the past.

I met with the president of the company on Thursday and made a point of mentioning my upcoming retirement. 

I make very good money otherwise I'd retire now. 

23 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What about saying you are at the point you would like to mentor the employees of the future. Teaching is a way to keep learning. 

It's a great, logical idea, Airehead.  

I don't have that type of status yet...partially because I was originally parachuted into the dept. about 9 months ago. I've had to work to gain the trust and credibility of team members. It didn't take long since I came from another dept. and hence, came into the dept. with (hopefully) valuable corporate knowledge to supplement team projects, etc.

Yup, happens even with years of experience.

58 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Wait until you are 1.5 years from retiring as I am. I haven't done any optional career development training in about 4 years. They want me to get my Cloud cert but I'm not going to. Heck I'm not even doing the work to keep my security clearance because it runs out in September 2020 and I plan on retiring then at the latest.

I've avoided any long term projects that won't be done before I retire. I spend most of my time maintaining existing systems instead and let the other guys work on the long term stuff. Work doesn't excite me like in the past.

I met with the president of the company on Thursday and made a point of mentioning my upcoming retirement. 

I make very good money otherwise I'd retire now. 

Be careful that they don't retire you early by eliminating your job.  :nodhead:

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Be careful that they don't retire you early by eliminating your job.  :nodhead:

I wish! My job has 6 positions on the contract and there's only 2 of us. We can't find anyone to fill the other 4 slots. If you know anyone who is an Oracle or SQL Server database administrator (or would like to be) with at least an active Secret security clearance who wants to live near St. Louis, I can get them a job. Oh! The contract runs out in October but 'should' be renewed. Should.

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

What about saying you are at the point you would like to mentor the employees of the future. Teaching is a way to keep learning. 

That's so much more gracious than my usual "I just want to drudge along until I can retire"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

Part of my job is teaching 2 classroom courses to employees. I /other colleagues who teach other courses, are evaluated by participants. Ratings are collectively reported to senior management.  I've enjoyed training employees for past 20 years in various jobs.  It only has been part of my jobs which it good so that it doesn't overly drain my energy.  It does give me a natural high to teach, impart knowledge and find later how people benefit.

I hated those.  The last several years I worked it got to where I would just take last year's "submission", change the date, swap the percentages around, and turn It in.  Got the same "increase" and was one year closer to retirement.