I tell my wife I don't want to be too close to neighbors, and she sends me this link

Square Wheels

My cousin and her husband both retired from the U.S. National Security Agency outside of Baltimore and move to Myrtle Beach, S.C. - right next to a golf course.  They soon grew weary of it.  They have two daughters who live near Frederick, Maryland and they soon decided they wanted to be close to them and moved there - the decision helped by the golf course.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Seriously, there is a neighbor 10 feet away, plus it's on a golf course.

McMansion... if you want to see something both funny, and pathetic, go to Naples Fl, where they have McMansion after McMansion with literally 10 feet separating the houses (You really can't call them homes). These had been nice suburban homes on a lot next to the Gulf. Morons bought them, tore down the perfectly good house, and had a large, ugly building built on the lot.

We haven't been there in a while, but the Old Naples Trianon was nice. They converted a cracker cottage into a breakfast nook, nice to sit on the porch, have coffee, and look at the Gulf.

14 hours ago, late said:

McMansion... if you want to see something both funny, and pathetic, go to Naples Fl, where they have McMansion after McMansion with literally 10 feet separating the houses (You really can't call them homes). These had been nice suburban homes on a lot next to the Gulf. Morons bought them, tore down the perfectly good house, and had a large, ugly building built on the lot.

We haven't been there in a while, but the Old Naples Trianon was nice. They converted a cracker cottage into a breakfast nook, nice to sit on the porch, have coffee, and look at the Gulf.

Many SoCal beach communities are the same way.  Giant homes on huge lots but the home takes up nearly every square foot of the lot.  There is maybe 10’ of space between the houses...

18 hours ago, Chris... said:

I like this one

370D3E98-8203-407F-9C8B-B303C3807972.jpeg

What a great place - until you have to go shopping, etc.

Of course, the MAJOR problems are related to transportation away to and away from this island. You have to park you car(s) where you can't keep an eye on it and you need to get to and from your home by boat every time you leave it and the island - unless you can afford the expense of a helicopter, but both boat and helicopter mean a lot of time is wasted.

Just north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, east of Annapolis, Maryland, the Magothy River empties into the Bay on the West side.  About 1/4 mile past the mouth and into the river are two small islands, fairly protected from Bay swells, one of less than 2 acres about 250 yards from shore called "Little Dobbins Island" or "Little Island" and a bigger one of 7 acres (eroded from 16 acres a couple hundred years ago) called "Dobbins Island" a further 400 yards out - which is the sideways-comma shaped island in the first map below. The islands are protected from the Bay's swells by a long peninsula called "Gibson Island" whose narrow-road land access that prevents it from being a true island is maintained by the millionaires living on it.

When I was a kid, a friend's relatives lived along the river near "Hickory Point" (3rd pic below where N is left) and we used to swim out to the then-uninhabited islands - about 300 yards to the Little one, then 400 more yards to Dobbins and then back again.  In the 1990's the Dobbins family sold the islands, plus some property on the river's peninsula, for $500,000 and since then all hell has broken loose.

1584861386_Magothy-dobbins_is5.jpg.7f2d2bc6a891e8c9ce71fd44e670b531.jpg709935361_Magothy-dobbins_is2.jpg.1e156f5a529fc4dc3393afd75a29db9a.jpg1595937820_Magothy-dobbins_is3.jpg.378a42592f74489514f8cb3337ae550f.jpg

A guy bought Little Dobbins Island in 2001 and built the beautiful mansion on one side and a pool on the other and modernized the boathouse and extended the pier without getting any county approval.  Local organizations have taken him to court and it's still in the courts where the initial and appeals rulings said he could keep the house but had to get rid of the pool, boathouse, and pier.  Personally, I think the island would be totally eroded into the bay in a century or so if the guy hadn't installed all the rip-rap (rocks) and other things to hold-back erosion, so I don't have a problem with him.  Note that all property below the high-water line is state property, so it doesn't stopped fishermen from fishing off the island, which has been popular for centuries.

563965975_MaothyLittleDobbinsIsland4.thumb.jpg.e71ec3af119dde28084db99f97bc7b52.jpg549454738_MaothyLittleDobbinsIsland1.jpg.08c061f19abc2624b5850cbc08050182.jpg

Similarly, you can see how much bigger Dobbins Island used to be by the picture below, where much of the shallow waters appear whiter and the above-water area used to be more than twice as big when Maryland was established.  The current owner wants to build a house there and the cliffs on the south (lower side in picture) side of the island must be graded 2:1 and then protected from erosion - all this also taking into account Global Warming water rise, which has already claimed many Bay islands, which means adding landfill to extend the island two acres into the river.

The shallow areas are great places to drop anchor on your small fishing boat and catch rockfish (striped bass), yellow perch, and other good fish, so the boating and community associations want the area to be declared undeveloped for perpetuity.  Of course, that means slow erosion into no island in the long run unless the government would buy it and preserve it, but it's not considered for the benefit of enough people to do so.

1310077640_Magothy-dobbins_is4.jpg.aeb3bb5e8b723313bfa99332a9b75531.jpg

Maothy Little Dobbins Island 2.jpg

Maothy Little Dobbins Island 3.jpg

Asheville and Western North Carolina have numerous lots, farms, and land for sale with breathtaking views and room to expand! The experienced Brokers at Town and Mountain Realty will help guide you with the knowledge only a team of local Asheville agents can provide. Whether you searching for a mountain retreat, homestead with stunning mountain views, lovely lot on beautiful acreage, a private getaway, or land in a well established development or community we are your local Asheville real estate company and we would love to help you!

https://www.townandmountain.com/properties-by-type/land/

66af4d5ce4df62b9a6bdb78ebe11edc4-1-.jpg

• Land Lots/Acres/Farms
  • Subdivision None
  • Acreage 64.04

Large valley pasture with breathtaking views, multiple waterfalls, spring fed pond, and woodland trails. The wide open space and mountain backdrop give it the feel of a western ranch just 30 minutes from Hendersonville...

• Heart 1

Let's narrow the field a bit. Do you actually want to live on an island? have you ever spent time on a remote island? Mom was a sub teacher for a while in the early 60s, and took me with her a couple times.  I didn't like it. Just getting groceries is a big deal, and you need to keep reserves in case you can't get off the island for a week or two.

Maine has a bunch of places that are remote, some are even on islands. Isle au Haut is perhaps the prettiest island, they even have a store... There are a few places where the rich go, there's one island where  a bunch of movie stars have summer places. It's supposed to be nice, never been there.

I was idly looking at island places a couple years ago, and found a really nice place, it was about a million, right close to Canada. You owned the island, it had a good sized house, maybe 4 bedrooms, solar with a backup, I was impressed. But... I was working on Cape Cod for a while, and once Fall comes around, that damp cold is just farking miserable.