Chock Full O Nuts Fun Facts - who knows when they dropped the chicory?

Ralphie

Before I ask Uncle Google, I am going to guess aboot 10 years ago.  On the coffee can now:

Front: Since 1932 under a picture of the You Nork City skyline

On the side:

1920s  We sold nuts

1930s We sold nuts and coffee

Now - We don't sell nuts.  We just sell coffee

But we like our name.  100% coffee.  Chock Full O Nuts

No mention whatsoever of chicory, dangit!  Before I google that, I thought chicory was Witloof endive, presumably lettuce-like, like curly endive or Belgian endive.  How did they ever get that into coffee? :scratchhead:  I thought the porpoise was like hamburger helper, to extend the 'spensive coffee with something cheaper.  Now to ask Uncle Google.

• Heart 2

OK, this is interesting.  It seems to be almost ungooglable, ie a google whacker - very little info!  Smells like a cover-up to me!  The closest on a quick inspection is that Cafe Du Monde puts roasted chicory root in to cut the bitterness, but Chock Full O nuts is silent on the whole thing.  Shirley I did not dream this whole thing up!

A search of their website for chicory:

No Results.

Please try a different search term or filter combination.

Well, shit!  I can't find ANYTHING on it except for a few vague questions on the Interwebs from people like me.  This is odd!

35 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Before I ask Uncle Google, I am going to guess aboot 10 years ago.  On the coffee can now:

On the side:

1920s  We sold nuts

No mention whatsoever of chicory, dangit!  Before I google that, I thought chicory was Witloof endive, presumably lettuce-like, like curly endive or Belgian endive.  How did they ever get that into coffee? :scratchhead:  I thought the porpoise was like hamburger helper, to extend the 'spensive coffee with something cheaper.  Now to ask Uncle Google.

I loves me some chock full of nuts. Been awhile and I should buy some. Not all stores carry it though. Speaking of chicory. This is some good beer. But Dogfish doesn't bottle it anymore ?

dogfish-head-chicory-stout.jpg

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I loves me some chock full of nuts. Been awhile and I should buy some. Not all stores carry it though. Speaking of chicory. This is some good beer. But Dogfish doesn't bottle it anymore ?

dogfish-head-chicory-stout.jpg

I haven;t seen Raison d'etre lately either - I wonder if they still brew that?  Nope!  Gone!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Zip, zilch, nada!  I guess I am batshit crazy. :(

To summarize, if the coffee was mixed with chicory at some point in the past, the practice no longer continues. Chicory was added to coffee during "The Depression" in order to keep costs down. Labels of the day were not required to list all the ingredients contained. For all we know, they could have mixed jsharr's no bean chili ingredients with the coffee. Then the coffee would have been called "Chock Full o' Bullshit".

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, donkpow said:

To summarize, if the coffee was mixed with chicory at some point in the past, the practice no longer continues. Chicory was added to coffee during "The Depression" in order to keep costs down. Labels of the day were not required to list all the ingredients contained. For all we know, they could have mixed jsharr's no bean chili ingredients with the coffee. Then the coffee would have been called "Chock Full o' Bullshit".

But I thought that I remember them having chicory on the label. So either I am full of shit or this is a massive cover up!  Chicory coffee seems to be a New Orleans or civil war thing only. 

43 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

But I thought that I remember them having chicory on the label. So either I am full of shit or this is a massive cover up!

You are full of shit.

The Chock Full O' Nuts name is derived from the shops that originally sold it over the counter.  Like Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts.  I buy Dunkin' Donuts coffee most of the time, and I have yet to find a donut or even parts of a donut inside the bag.  

I remember a coffee brand that touted it's chicory content, but that was many years ago and I forget the brand.  Of course, I could be full of shit. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You are full of shit.

The Chock Full O' Nuts name is derived from the shops that originally sold it over the counter.  Like Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts.  I buy Dunkin' Donuts coffee most of the time, and I have yet to find a donut or even parts of a donut inside the bag.  

I remember a coffee brand that touted it's chicory content, but that was many years ago and I forget the brand.  Of course, I could be full of shit. 

At least one other person asked this question on the interwebz.  And crickets was the answer. :(

This is a great old people question!

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2WT472ULCTU6N

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I was counting on you!  :D My grandmother would know!  But she is dead.  My mother might know.  (The Beatles said so after all!)

The one I remember is Luzianne (see my previous post).  A big seller in the South, I think.  I used to see ads for it a lot, but they may have been local ads.

• 10 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Zip, zilch, nada!  I guess I am batshit crazy. :(

So as I sit here drinking my Chock Full O' Nuts today, I realize that it is very possible that I fabricated that memory because both start with the letters ch.  Sad to believe my brian is that flaky, but whoomp, there it is. :D

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So as I sit here drinking my Chock Full O' Nuts today, I realize that it is very possible that I fabricated that memory because both start with the letters ch.  Sad to believe my brian is that flaky, but whoomp, there it is. :D

Chockery Full O" Nuts or Chick Full O' Nuts?    :)

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Are you effing with me?  I just officially gave up on it today.  But hey, you are the guy with the google-fu, so if'n you can find something on that I would be forever grateful. :)

I agree with you.  You are both getting brian confuzzled because of the similar sound and look of the words "Chock" and "Chicory".  

I have never heard of CFON having chicory and I have been drinking it for about 40 years.

• Hugs 1

BTW, this thread ties in with my other one on other websites because of the digitization demonstrated on the CFON label in my original post is detailed and practiced in WaitButWhy in the Political Disney World article.

I love it when things start oot with the basics and then spiral into the details, like a good newspaper article does - progressive disclosure and the inverted pyramid.  I love the concept that if you cut the articile at any place, the most important details had already been covered.  IMNSHO college education did not do a very good job of that, of putting things into context. 

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Are you effing with me?  I just officially gave up on it today.  But hey, you are the guy with the google-fu, so if'n you can find something on that I would be forever grateful. :)

I can't find anything, I just seem to remember it used to have chicory.  But maybe I am thinking of Community Coffee, which if alphabetical, would be near Chock Full O Nuts.

20 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember the chicory part from a Jackie Robinson documentary. He was an executive with the company. The documentary played a coffee commercial and jingle that included chickory makes it smooth. 

• Awesome 1

On 2/17/2019 at 8:31 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

On the side:

1920s  We sold nuts

I don't drink coffee, but I respect that naming stance and explanation!