uncontrolled classroom behaviour

shootingstar

Well, we all knew of playground bullying ages ago.... so classroom bullying of teachers though not new, isn't getting better at times.  It can be verbal or physical.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-february-17-2019-1.5017616/i-felt-helpless-teachers-call-for-support-amid-escalating-crisis-of-classroom-violence-1.5017623

I admire those we are in the school teaching profession..there are greater challenges.  (In addition to students with the iphones and inattention, etc.).   I have several friends who taught high school  as full time teachers.  A cousin of mine was an elementary school teacher in Ontario..and retired about a decade ago.  

I think teachers (well people in general) let themselves get bullied. My cousins wife is a high school English teacher. She is sweet as pie and yet sharp as a dagger.  She really knows how to handle shitty HS kids. I can’t see herself ever getting bullied, she’d unleash a tongue-lashing sarcastic and sharp enough that kid wouldn’t know what hit them.

It takes a special breed to be a teacher. I couldn’t do it, I’d just choke the little bastard out.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The teachers today have so little authority that it takes a lot of work to build respect with your students.  If you catch a student smoking an administrator is likely to ask you if you actually saw him smoking or was he just holding the cigarette in his hand.

The teachers with the biggest problems tend to be those with poorer structure and discipline and those who don't pull the students aside and privately correct them - preferring to embarrass them in front of the whole class.

I learned early on that you need to strictly follow the rules you set right from the start of the semester, then you can back-off a little as the semester moves along.  But you can't be easy-going at the beginning and then get strict later.

Additionally, you have to realize that teenagers have brain damage and not make a federal case out of every mistake they make.

There are some tricks that give you an edge.  For example, when the kid who is the biggest pain in the ass misses a day and returns, tell him you missed him last class. You'll probably be the only teacher in the school who said that!

Then there are the kids who want to discuss classroom rules or argue about other things so that you'll have less time to teach.  You tell them something like, "Good point! Please see me after class and we'll talk about it."

I was fortunate in that the majority of my classes were always college-prep or gifted-and-talented and higher-level sciences of chemistry and physics. I also coached sports, volunteered to supervise the weight room during my off-season and ran the science and chess clubs, both of which competed against other schools.  Those things put a lot of students on your side.

• Awesome 1

22 hours ago, donkpow said:

Frankly, I had a few teachers that were "bullies".

29 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I didn't have any bully teachers, but I did have one that was a plain old fucking DICK for 5th & 6th grade maths.

I wasn’t the best student in HS but I didn’t have any bad teachers. I actually liked most of them.  

I had a few college professors that were downright dicks.

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

college professors

Not sure this falls into the dick category, but I had one...again for math, that was an ass. He would teach verbatim out of the book, always had it in his hand. I honestly don't think he could teach w/o it. I was on the verge of failing so I dropped it. Retook it the next semester w/ someone else and IIRC got an A- or B+. None-the-less significantly better. He'd write an equation on the chalk board from the book, put the book down and solve it while explaining it. One of the best professors IMO.

• Heart 2

While I was growing up in the 70s I witnessed some teacher/student arguments that turned into full on, rolling on the floor fist fights. It didn't  matter who started it back then, the student got expelled and the teacher was back teaching before the day was over. Today, with the students having access to their rights and laws at their finger tips, I couldn't image being a teacher today. On another note, in the news this morning a student got arrested for causing a ruckus after refusing to pledge allegiance to the flag. Apparently the substitute teacher told him to go back to where he came....  Interesting times. :(

• Heart 1