Life expectancy of a laptop?

team scooter

I've had my old HP G62 for ten years. That's a good run I'd guess. It has been flawless for the most part. It even outlived three mouse's, two batteries and two power supplies. Recently though it has started overheating while in google maps and while I edit gopro videos. Last week I started having trouble accessing google chrome, now I'm blocked out totally. After working at it myself for a few hours, and after my IT gal (Mrs) couldn't figure it out, she gave up too . The last straw was when Mrs tried to update the malware and found there was no more space left.

Anyway, we gave up trying to keep this one on life support and ordered a new HP Premium Pavilion and added upgraded HDD and SSD (whatever that is?) so its several times better, stronger and faster than my old one. Now I need to move into the 21st century and learn windows ten too. I don't do change well. :unsure:

hp.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You will like it so much more than Windows 97

;) I've got windows 7 now. We tried upgrading to windows ?? a few years back, but had nothing but problems with it and switched it back to 7.  I guess 10 has the same start up menu as 7? So I've got that going for me.  :unsure: I picked the new computer because it had a similar keyboard to the old one. That's how much I fear change.

12 minutes ago, team scooter said:

;) I've got windows 7 now. We tried upgrading to windows ?? a few years back, but had nothing but problems with it and switched it back to 7.  I guess 10 has the same start up menu as 7? So I've got that going for me.  :unsure: I picked the new one because it had a similar keyboard to the old one.

A good laptop should last 10 years! But its ability to upgrade to the latest OS more like 7 years or so.  I have a cheapo refurbished low powered Dell that I bought a couple of years ago, and once Windows 7 updates die in a year I might have to replace it.  I avoided even trying 10, and now they charge for it!  I'll probably just buy a new laptop at that point, or maybe just convert the old one to Linux.

The 2007 MacBook hand me down from my daughter is still running great, but it can't get updates due to the inability to upgrade the OS, and the optical drive cratered a while ago.

We had bought a cheapo low powered Toshiba a few years ago and it only lasted a couple of years.  You were darn lucky to have missed the whole Windows 8 fiasco!

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, team scooter said:

;) I've got windows 7 now. We tried upgrading to windows ?? a few years back, but had nothing but problems with it and switched it back to 7.  I guess 10 has the same start up menu as 7? So I've got that going for me.  :unsure: I picked the new computer because it had a similar keyboard to the old one. That's how much I fear change.

We bought my wife a killer Lenovo Yoga, but she has always complained aboot the keyboard, the placement of the shift keys or somesuch.  The lack of a numeric keypad is surprisingly annoying on my old Dell laptop.

• Heart 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We bought my wife a killer Lenovo Yoga, but she has always complained aboot the keyboard, the placement of the shift keys or somesuch.  The lack of a numeric keypad is surprisingly annoying on my old Dell laptop.

Mrs wants a Lenovo when her's dies too. She tried a different brand laptop, which name I cant recall, its two years old and she hates everything about it. Including the keyboard. I was looking at macs and there are some things I like better about them. But its a whole new mousetrap I'd need to learn. Much like every time I upgrade my phone, it becomes obsolete and stops upgrading just as I finally figure out how to use it. Even our cars are all the same brand so I can locate all the controls in the dark. :( 

5 hours ago, team scooter said:

Even our cars are all the same brand so I can locate all the controls in the dark. :( 

That doesn’t work for Hondas, every one of our Hondas has their controls switched around and for no apparent reason other than to be different. The sound system and the climate control are reversed from the Pilot to the Oddesey. It pizzes me off when I try to turn the heat down and end up switching songs.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That doesn’t work for Hondas, every one of our Hondas has their controls switched around and for no apparent reason other than to be different. The sound system and the climate control are reversed from the Pilot to the Oddesey. It pizzes me off when I try to turn the heat down and end up switching songs.

Serenity now!

• Heart 1

10 years is spectacular!

My HP refurbished laptops, allegedly passed back through the assembly line and just like new except for only a 3-month warranty and about 1/2 price, are lucky to last 3 years with much use every day.  I've replaced a fan in my last one and it's now a backup.  Because I keep a lot of movies, chess books and videos, etc. on my laptop I got a 17.3" HP with a 2 TB hard drive, 12 GB RAM, 3.2 GHz quad-core processor, Win 10, touchscreen, DVD burner/player, and all the usual bells and whistles for $519.99 a year ago - the "new" price was $1399.  Refurbished HP laptops are cheap at Walmart online, but I have had to send a couple back that did not arrive working and sometimes I had to change drivers, etc. to get a couple of them working right.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Chris... said:

2 of my kids have MacBook pros that we bought them when they graduated high school. One of them recently put a SSD drive in theirs, it made a world of difference. 

I don't know much about this stuff, its all magic to me. But after talking with our son who had specked out the old laptop, we ordered the new one that met my user friendly needs, screen size, keyboard, correct jacks, etc, etc, then upgraded the SSD and HDD three steps above what I should ever need. Hopefully the new one works as well and lasts as long as this old one. The new one should be here later this week. Sadly in my wife's attempt to fix this one, she inadvertently lost some irreplaceable stuff before I had the chance to back it up. :( 

Solid state drive and max out the ram will make anything run faster.  I have a refurbed Dell Latitude E6530.   Initial release date was 2012.  I bought it off Amazon from a major retailer then went to Crucial.com and maxed out memory and upgraded to an SSD.  It is a tank but has good screen resolution, starts and runs fast, but is a bit of battery hog so I carry a spare battery as well as a car charger for it aloing with the normal charger.

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

If you think you are helping, you would be wrong.

I'm just saying there was pretty much almost no learning curve going to Win10 from any past Windows OS.  Win10 is pretty darn straightforward.  Sure, you can start messing with settings and such, but my wife - an anti-tech person through and through - uses Win10 with no issues. It just works.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm just saying there was pretty much almost no learning curve going to Win10 from any past Windows OS.  Win10 is pretty darn straightforward.  Sure, you can start messing with settings and such, but my wife - an anti-tech person through and through - uses Win10 with no issues. It just works.

I do not like the feel of windows 10.  I knew where to find stuff in the old windows.