I am ready for a weather change...

petitepedal

We've had roller coaster weather in Central Maryland.  It's either snowing or reaching around 50F so I've been walking the dog a few miles twice a week in nice weather while dodging the icy spots in low-lying woodsy-trails.

We're getting light now tonight, have a high of 48F tomorrow, then getting cold Tuesday.

I'm sick of cold rain and clouds. Sunshine and snow would be an improvement.

The record setting amounts of rain we have been getting have been causing a lot of fallen trees and landslides, the ground is simply saturated and tree roots just pull out, the geology around here is layers of different types of strata, with this much water the layers start to slide. 

16 hours ago, Further said:

The record setting amounts of rain we have been getting have been causing a lot of fallen trees and landslides, the ground is simply saturated and tree roots just pull out, the geology around here is layers of different types of strata, with this much water the layers start to slide. 

We have had a lot of the same. Giant trees uprooting and falling due to saturation from the rain.  I don’t think we have had a week without some rain since early January.

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I just want 3 things.  (OK, maybe 4)

1.  Warm enough to drag out the camper.

2. Warm enough for Em to pitch to me in the front yard more.

3.  Warm enough to ride more with G.

4. NO MORE RAIN.

I keep tabs on our local youth & HS leagues and it’s been a rough start of the year. Nobody can practice due to the weather and indoor facilities are few & far between as we really don’t need them out here. 

The HS & college baseball & Softball season starts right about now out here.  Youth leagues start in a couple of weeks.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

We got more snow coming..Wednesday and the weekend both.

...I remember that the longest winters in MN involved snow in late Feb and March.  It's kind of crushing to the spirit at that point in the winter. :( I think that's why all the people who can afford it up there used to schedule a vacation to someplace warm for a week or so in February.  By the time you get back, even if it's cold and miserable, you have a clear view of the coming spring thaw in about a month or so.

I remember one year flying back to D.C. one February from the Twin Cities. When I got off the plane and away from the airport, I was struck dumb by all the luscious greenery.  The place looked to me like a tropical jungle. :) 

9 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I remember one year flying back to D.C. one February from the Twin Cities. When I got off the plane and away from the airport, I was struck dumb by all the luscious greenery.  The place looked to me like a tropical jungle. :) 

Spring in DC can be a fickle bitch.  We went for a visit one year over spring break only to find snow! Then it was 70 degrees by the end of the trip...

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I remember that the longest winters in MN involved snow in late Feb and March.  It's kind of crushing to the spirit at that point in the winter. :( I think that's why all the people who can afford it up there used to schedule a vacation to someplace warm for a week or so in February.  By the time you get back, even if it's cold and miserable, you have a clear view of the coming spring thaw in about a month or so.

Last year we had effin snow in April :runcirclsmiley:I think as I get back to "normal" it won't  be so depressing.

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Last year we had effin snow in April :runcirclsmiley:I think as I get back to "normal" it won't  be so depressing.

OK so remember this moment in December when there is no snow and you want a white Christmas.  The white stuff isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. ?

It should come. Late November, December..January more cold than snow..February & March are a crapshoot...when I was a young punk...we had 2 major winter sports tournaments..state wide boys hockey & basketball...inevitably there was a March blizzard one of those weeks...they have added girls basketball and hockey to the mix..and yup at least one of the tournaments usually gets hit with a darn good snowfall..often school cancelling. But not every 2 days 6 inches...We are on track to beat a snowfall record for February set in 1962.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

OK so remember this moment in December when there is no snow and you want a white Christmas.  The white stuff isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. ?

We take what we get, and that can change from day to day.  It is simply the world we live in at the present time. I'd much rather deal with snow than mud and wind.

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

It should come. Late November, December..January more cold than snow..February & March are a crapshoot...when I was a young punk...we had 2 major winter sports tournaments..state wide boys hockey & basketball...inevitably there was a March blizzard one of those weeks...they have added girls basketball and hockey to the mix..and yup at least one of the tournaments usually gets hit with a darn good snowfall..often school cancelling. But not every 2 days 6 inches...We are on track to beat a snowfall record for February set in 1962.

A basket ball tournament (boys and girls) finished up here on Saturday evening, and the height of the storm.  I did not envy the folks driving home at that time, but I bet many made the 80+mile trip.  I can remember passing school buses on the interstate in the past, heading home in a pretty severe storm.  As I have mentioned before on the forum, spring storms can be much more severe than winter storms.  Petite, I've not visited with many that returned from your area from the SRM meetings.  Some flew, but I know some drove.  One nice happening at the meeting was that a team from our local community college won a workshop poster contest, where they competed with teams from 4-year colleges from across the USA, Mexico, and Canada.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's late February though. Getting tired of it. This isn't the East coast or Midwest FFS. 

You are way closer to Hawaii than I am!!!! GO!!!!

I am breaking this out sometime this week. Price seems higher than the other Hawaiian coffee they had :(

IMG_7043.thumb.JPG.4bf960141d6c3c57d58a9bb274e030ad.JPG

• Awesome 1