A question for all you creative forumites

SuzieQ

I would like to get large stability balls for the yoga studio, but don't know how I would store them, I would have to have at least 15.

There is a large room in the back where there are lockers etc but there is not wall space.  I could store some on top of the lockers, but only about 5.  The ceilings are dropped and there is no wall space unless I take down a changing area which not many students use, they could always use the bathroom, I would then have about 6 to 8ft of wall space.

Oh, and did I mention it has to be cheap :)  this is where the creative part comes in :)

make this out of PVC pipe.. should not run more then $50/100 max

it would fit nicely along the wall, and you could add a third their if needed

buy the white PVC and spray paint it the color(s) you like. 

FIT232BLK-500x329.gif

• Heart 2

make this out of PVC pipe.. should not run more then $50/100 max

it would fit nicely along the wall, and you could add a third their if needed

buy the white PVC and spray paint it the color(s) you like. 

FIT232BLK-500x329.gif

And with some casters on it you could easily move it as needed.

Who wants to come help me?

SQ - A trip to Home Depot is in order for you.  You can do this yourself.  Check out the plumbing section for PVC pipe.  You can get all the connections needed and the pipe.  Cut to length and glue with pipe dope.  For the shape Krazy showed you need 8 sections the same length for the runs and 6 sections the same length for the risers and 6 for the width and 6 for the legs.  with a simple pipe cutter (also from HD) this is a 1/2 hour project.

SQ - A trip to Home Depot is in order for you. You can do this yourself. Check out the plumbing section for PVC pipe. You can get all the connections needed and the pipe. Cut to length and glue with pipe dope. For the shape Krazy showed you need 8 sections the same length for the runs and 6 sections the same length for the risers and 6 for the width and 6 for the legs. with a simple pipe cutter (also from HD) this is a 1/2 hour project.

pipe dope will not work. Christy's Red Hot Blue is what you need.

pipe dope will not work. Christy's Red Hot Blue is what you need.

You're correct.  In the plumbing world pipe dope is thread sealer.  In every other field dope is synonymous with glue.  My bad.  Any $2 can of PVC glue from HD or Lowe's will do the job here.

If you go with PVC, you may consider getting Schedule 80 pipe.  It is more expensive but it has thicker walls and would be a bit stronger.

For your usage, you may not even need to glue the joints, just press fit them.  That way you could dissamble the rack if needed.

Home Depot or Lowes, or most any hardware store will cut the pipe to length for you, or have the stuff to cut it on the pipe aisle. 

If they don't, carry your pipe over to the aisle where they sell wood molding and baseboard.  There will be a place there to cut it for sure.

here are plans for one.

http://speech-specialed.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-build-therapy-ball-rack-and.html

Or you can buy one premade.

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Pipe-Stability-Rack-Casters/dp/B00FL614FI

• Heart 1

Netting attached to wall would work. Unattach one corner to get them out, then squeeze back in when done and attach corner again.

Something like this, but against a wall (and tighter) so it's easier to reach.

10653.jpg

Simple volleyball net.  If attached with bungie cords you might not even have to unhook it.

Netting attached to wall would work. Unattach one corner to get them out, then squeeze back in when done and attach corner again.

Something like this, but against a wall (and tighter) so it's easier to reach.

10653.jpg

Drop ceilings may preclude this sort of thing.  That is why I did not mention suspending anything from ceilings.  Several mentions of no wall space also, so did not mention anything that attaches to wall.

Drop ceilings may preclude this sort of thing.  That is why I did not mention suspending anything from ceilings.  

I didn't suggest hanging from ceiling. I suggested something like this, but tight against a wall.

She says no wall space in post, unless she takes down her changing area.  And we cannot have women putting on tight yoga pants in public view.

Pictures would be helpful....but I'd think you could use an existing wall and just lose the width of the balls under storage times.

Or this. Find some form of sturdy plastic. or even those tubes used for concrete forms and cut them down. 81020_1_.jpg81020_2_.jpg

Pictures would be helpful....but I'd think you could use an existing wall and just lose the width of the balls under storage times.

this idea seems easier than building that rack?  I will take pics on Saturday when I'm back at the studio.  

• Heart 1

My guess is the corners of your yoga studio aren't highly utilized, unless you put naughty yoga people into time-out.

I would suggest taking Pat's excellent idea for stacking - you could use decorative round (or even square) cardboard boxes with the tops removed and bottoms cut out - and stack the stability balls in the corners.  Four corners gets you three per corner, or according to advanced math, storage for about 12 stability balls.  Find another convenient corner to store 3 more.

This will:

-make effective use of space you probably don't use well now

-keeps the stability balls convenient to where they'll be needed

-inexpensive

-buy several different colors of stability balls and let them become part of the studio decor

If you already have stuff in the corners of the studio, look at at whether you're better off using the corner for the stability ball storage or for what occupies the corner now.  Eventually you may find yourself re-organizing your studio.  SImply moving things around is an easy way to create a new 'look', to refresh the space without spending big bucks.  You may also find yourself looking at stuff you have no place to store, and then it's time to consider if you really need it or can throw it out to create a less cluttered appearance for your studio.

9871e30902e1ade0_6393-w249-h249-b1-p10--

My guess is the corners of your yoga studio aren't highly utilized, unless you put naughty yoga people into time-out.

I would suggest taking Pat's excellent idea for stacking - you could use decorative round (or even square) cardboard boxes with the tops removed and bottoms cut out - and stack the stability balls in the corners.  Four corners gets you three per corner, or according to advanced math, storage for about 12 stability balls.  Find another convenient corner to store 3 more.

This will:

-make effective use of space you probably don't use well now

-keeps the stability balls convenient to where they'll be needed

-inexpensive

-buy several different colors of stability balls and let them become part of the studio decor

If you already have stuff in the corners of the studio, look at at whether you're better off using the corner for the stability ball storage or for what occupies the corner now.  Eventually you may find yourself re-organizing your studio.  SImply moving things around is an easy way to create a new 'look', to refresh the space without spending big bucks.  You may also find yourself looking at stuff you have no place to store, and then it's time to consider if you really need it or can throw it out to create a less cluttered appearance for your studio.

9871e30902e1ade0_6393-w249-h249-b1-p10--

The corners are utilized by lights, but I like your idea, and wondering if I could utilize corners in the back room

no corners of the back room wouldn't work at all. The stacking algorithms are for front room corners only. We'd have to recalculate the geometric lattice points to utilize back room corners

• Heart 1

no corners of the back room wouldn't work at all. The stacking algorithms are for front room corners only. We'd have to recalculate the geometric lattice points to utilize back room corners

Without the assistance of a graphing calculator, would't it just be easier to move the back room corners to the front room and move the front room corners to the back?

• Heart 1

I like the Back Room Corners, they are probably my favorite, alt pop goth country swing band.  Their cover of Wind Beneath My Wings leaves me curled up in a front room corner in tears almost every time I hear it.  Best use of a Jew's harp since Slim Whitman shanked Boxcar Willie with one when they were both dating Zamfir.  Talk about some Pan Flute Loving ......

this idea seems easier than building that rack?  I will take pics on Saturday when I'm back at the studio.  

Ironically, I'm going to be building a very similar PVC rack very soon as a rack to hold my kayaks. I just need to wait until we do the big yard sale in a few weeks to clear room in the garage to hold it.

Without the assistance of a graphing calculator, would't it just be easier to move the back room corners to the front room and move the front room corners to the back?

now you're thinking! If we did it that way, we could put the left side back corners right in front and if we had front room corners left, we could just take them back