I Don't Know If I Would Trust This

Razors Edge

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

A friend of mine uses one of these Evoc soft cases. He takes his bikes all over the world with it. He told me the airlines now require you to sign a waiver if you are using a soft case. 

Yep.  I read about the waiver.  I have a tough hard case that does the job no problem, but, unlike it or the Evoc, the one above is supposed to easily "sneak" past the extra cost of bringing a bike.  It would pay for itself in a couple trips IF the bike made it safely every time. Otherwise, it is an awful choice.  I am definitely torn about traveling with my bike :( but renting an almost comparable bike for any period of time is way more expensive than buying cases or even paying for baggage checking.  A real sheoty situation in most respects. I may have to review - again - options for flights to/fro Europe using a European or maybe Emirates, since those airlines are often a bit more flexible.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  I read about the waiver.  I have a tough hard case that does the job no problem, but, unlike it or the Evoc, the one above is supposed to easily "sneak" past the extra cost of bringing a bike.  It would pay for itself in a couple trips IF the bike made it safely every time. Otherwise, it is an awful choice.  I am definitely torn about traveling with my bike :( but renting an almost comparable bike for any period of time is way more expensive than buying cases or even paying for baggage checking.  A real sheoty situation in most respects. I may have to review - again - options for flights to/fro Europe using a European or maybe Emirates, since those airlines are often a bit more flexible.

I've flown with mine in a hardcase. $300 round trip. I wish I had just rented or borrowed a bike. The airline buried the cost, it wasn't listed on the website. They said $50 max for oversize luggage. It is $50 for anything except a bike. 

I've been considering some overseas bikepacking trips. I'm not sure what the best path would be yet. My friend is a dr. Another is a sponsored pro. It makes sense for them to invest in the case and eat the cost. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Didn’t one of the forumites have their bike destroyed while in the case?  IIRC he thought the bag was opened and his bike tampered with, busted up?

A bike trip would be fun but I dunno... Maybe rent a bike when I get there...

I don't think he posts here, but he had the Cannondale SuperSix that got the top tube crunched. 

That remains my big fear with the soft (and to some extent even the hard) case - compression or some weird unexpected impact that screws up just one thing - fork, DR, top tube, handlebars, whatever.  You get to your destination and go to assemble your bike and find you now need to replace something.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I don't think he posts here, but he had the Cannondale SuperSix that got the top tube crunched. 

That remains my big fear with the soft (and to some extent even the hard) case - compression or some weird unexpected impact that screws up just one thing - fork, DR, top tube, handlebars, whatever.  You get to your destination and go to assemble your bike and find you now need to replace something.

You should definitely put a spacer in the dropouts both front and rear whatever type of case you use.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, dennis said:

I've flown with mine in a hardcase. $300 round trip. I wish I had just rented or borrowed a bike. The airline buried the cost, it wasn't listed on the website. They said $50 max for oversize luggage. It is $50 for anything except a bike. 

I've been considering some overseas bikepacking trips. I'm not sure what the best path would be yet. My friend is a dr. Another is a sponsored pro. It makes sense for them to invest in the case and eat the cost. 

Flying to Europe years ago, with my bike in my IronCase, it cost me $50 one way (simply "oversize") but $150 on return. I went on American, but Swiss Air covered the shorter connection from Paris -> Milan.  Flying back, Swiss Air was the gate agent, and those damn money grubbing Swiss folks were like "that's $150, please".  Total BS.  But whatever :( I was hoping for $50.

s-l640.jpg.36268af43da3e7ca43e75a1323116ef5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Right, that would be my concern too.  Get to your bike trip destination and oh sheot... 

2 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

You should definitely put a spacer in the dropouts both front and rear whatever type of case you use.

Yep!  I still have a few, and my case came with one as well. Plus the Evoc has them built in, and the Ninja one talks about it in their video (but they don't actually do it!).

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Flying to Europe years ago, with my bike in my IronCase, it cost me $50 one way (simply "oversize") but $150 on return. I went on American, but Swiss Air covered the shorter connection from Paris -> Milan.  Flying back, Swiss Air was the gate agent, and those damn money grubbing Swiss folks were like "that's $150, please".  Total BS.  But whatever :( I was hoping for $50.

s-l640.jpg.36268af43da3e7ca43e75a1323116ef5.jpg

I have that exact same case. Had it for 20 years or more.