This ever happen to you?

TrentonMakes

I got out for a ride on Saturday - when I left I noticed that the little place-marking dot on Strava wasn't exactly over the house.  I figured it would catch up before too long.  But it didn't.  I got home and the map looked like someone tried to trace my route while riding in a monster truck at the arena.

If I'm to believe the Strava data, I rode just under 43 miles, at an average speed of 46.4 mph.  I think I would win the Tour at that pace!

I rebooted the phone and that seemed to reset things - I think that was the problem.  (and I deleted the ride so it won't skew my data)

In actuality I rode about 12 miles - if I assume the ratio of distance to speed was correct then I averaged about 13 mph.  I felt like molasses out there, but it was nice to be out anyway.

• Confused 1

I've never used the Strava phone app for riding. I know it's not as accurate (for distance) as Garmin. But yours was way off :blink: The Strava website has repair tools which may of fixed your issue. I had an error on a ride last year and the repair tools corrected the problem.

• Awesome 1

Also I was a true Fred for this ride... I wore sweatpants over a pair of flannel pajama pants (over cycling shorts), and two fleece jackets over a turtleneck.  But wearing my SPD-Rs, on a bike with 105. :D  I was actually very comfortable (low 40s and breezy).  I don't have any cycling tights... I wonder if I can get them in my size.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TrentonMakes said:

Also I was a true Fred for this ride... I wore sweatpants over a pair of flannel pajama pants (over cycling shorts), and two fleece jackets over a turtleneck.  But wearing my SPD-Rs, on a bike with 105. :D  I was actually very comfortable (low 40s and breezy).  I don't have any cycling tights... I wonder if I can get them in my size.

what-a-dork-huh-huh-huh.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I managed to get some insulated winter bib tights in an extra tall size that fit me well. Extra tall would fit you and you could just call them knickers, wear tall socks with them.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I don't have any cycling tights... I wonder if I can get them in my size.

I wear windproof/breathable running pants over thermals during the winter. Since I don't run, I get the running pants from Goodwill for under $5. It's a winning combination.

• Heart 1

I have that problem, way wrong distances, with my Garmin 510 Edge if I go for a walk instead of a ride.  I can understand that I spend longer periods in woodsy areas where the GPS satellites might be blocked, but they should readjust when I get back out in the open since the last, previously open spot was roughly in a straight line - there would have been no readings that would have fooled it into thinking I was walking in circles, etc.

The worst on my bike are like those on the Horseshoe Curve of the BWI Airport Bike trail below where I, riding counterclockwise and downhill, never left the 8+ foot-wide asphalt trail though the Garmin to Google Maps red line segments' 1 second notches make it look like I did, though I did ride near the outside of it until I approached the straightaway at the lower-left

1511531240_HorseshoeCurveOverhead.JPG.feee690f5a4767d4199ae4df4d4929c4.JPG

4 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have had a similar thing with Map My Walk...usually at work...I blamed it on all the cell towers on our building..it just seems like some days it didn't catch....

Positioning via cell towers can be off a bit.  We use a tracking app on my vendor staff and some times it shows them all over the toll road that runs behind my building instead of in our campus.