How much

Chris...

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Disc brakes are pretty easy for pads only but still a pain. Drums are not really a diy thing for mere mortals. 

I always liked doing drum brakes, they were like putting together a puzzle. Now with you tube it should be even easier. It used to be a good idea to do one side first so you could go around and look at the other side when you can’t remember what goes where.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I always liked doing drum brakes, they were like putting together a puzzle. Now with you tube it should be even easier. It used to be a good idea to do one side first so you could go around and look at the other side when you can’t remember what goes where.

All I can picture for drum brakes are pieces flying here and there propelled by springs. :D

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

I always buy ceramic pads since I drove truck and found out how much longer they last. At autozone they told me they had a lifetime warranty, they asked it I wanted the lifetime rotors too. The last time I changed them on the Pilot I had one rotor with a small scratch. I told the parts guy I needed new pads and one rotor. He said you might as well replace them both, they are under warranty. I changed them and returned the parts I took off and they refunded my money. I really didn’t need that rotor, it looked like new.

58 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Is a brake job these days

A lot depends on how bad the brakes are. If they are so bad that the rotors need replacing, it can get costly. If you need new rotors, don't go cheap. The cheap ones are made out of Chinisium and warp very easily.

Do you  have a MOT coming up?

With the right tools and work area, a brake job is not that hard, esp if you have a vacuum bleeder.

I want to upgrade the rotors and pads on the 300 when brakes are due.

$100 to $300 per axle is a good ball park.

Avoid the big brand brake shops and find a highly reccomended local mechanic and ask if you can supply parts and he supplies labor.   Some will do this.

https://autoservicecosts.com/brake-pad-replacement-cost/

21 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The dealer told me my fronts were wearing unevenly so they wanted to replace them. I don't understand why that is. They didn't tell me the thicknesses, but they said the rear were 4 mm and you replace at 3 mm I think. I need to find a good place to have them done.  They wanted a fortune, $400-$500. 

If the caliper is stuck or sticking, the pad touching the piston can wear out much faster.

disc brakes are about the easiest job you can do on a  car, if you have the proper tool to compress the caliper.  And the tool is cheap..

I will need to do brakes on the GTI soon, the parking brake levers are sticking occasionally and wearing down the pads.  Probably will need to rebuild the calipers.