What would happen if all the ice melted at once?

Randomguy

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

On the plus side, you're retirement planning would be as good or better than @Dirtyhip's!  Huzzah!

When prices of food really skyrocket, I think we would fare better than most.  Also, we have property on a river full of fish and water flowing that is way safer to drink than anything in the city. I just have to hope that our place is built before shit hits the fan and hopefully not burn down during the usual summer firestorm.  What the fuck have we done to our planet?

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Between 450 million and 500 million years ago, the mean sea level was about 400 feet higher than it is today and even then all the ice wasn't melted.  Many who joke about becoming waterfront property would be treading it.

Maxx, this is a "fun" thought experiment.  You need to ignore the negatives and focus on the positives.  For example, you could have said many more folks would become excellent swimmers!  Or man-dolphin relationships would become much more common.  Or that you'd never have to look at sappy polar bears playing with dogs on youtube ever again.

Bright side, Maxx!

Last chance:

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m not clicking on the video, but is that dog “playing” with the bear, or about to start a #k9metoo movement?

Forget about the video!  Here is your upside - no more hour long drives to Erie to sail!  You can live on your boat and still be in Pittsburgh!

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It feels good to be prepared. And we do live on a hill top.

How long is the rope on your anchor? That's probably what you should be planning next, and maybe installing a large concrete anchor attachment point on your property now rather than when the water is over everything.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How long is the rope on your anchor? That's probably what you should be planning next, and maybe installing a large concrete anchor attachment point on your property now rather than when the water is over everything.

More than 200’ of rode. But my town already sits at 1200’ above sea level, so I think updated navigation charts would be my bigger concern.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Forget about the video!  Here is your upside - no more hour long drives to Erie to sail!  You can live on your boat and still be in Pittsburgh!

Pittsburgh already has three rivers - the remains of Fort Duquesne sit at their conjunction.  I guess they renamed it Pittsburgh because no one could figure out how to pronounce Duquesne after the French were driven out.

My late Aunt Mary lived a couple hours from Pittsburgh in Altoona, PA, but had seldom visited Pittsburgh. I visited her and my uncle and said, "Let's drive to Pittsburgh and go to the Carnegie Museum."

We walked into the Natural History Museum where you immediately see the assembled fossils of several huge dinosaurs.  Aunt Mary looked astonished.  She grabbed my arm and asked, "You mean there really were such things as dinosaurs?"

A similar experience occurred when I showed a neighbor the Moon through my 12.5" mirror telescope.  She, too young to remember the Moon Landings, looked at all the craters and then asked, "Does the government know about this?"

Education is a GOOD thing!

• Haha 1