How Often Do You Break?

Razors Edge

...drinking glasses, plates, bowls, etc. in the kitchen?

We have a set of matching drinking glasses and a very similar set of replacement drinking glasses.  The original set is probably 18yrs old, and down to the last two (out of eight originals), and the original small ones are at 3 our of 8 left.  Of the replacements, we have probably broken a few of them as well over the past decade.  So, we're at like a 1 glass per year rate of destruction. Not as bad with plates, but we lose one of those every five years or so.  Same with bowls.

Timely post... We recently retired our mugs that we had 10 years or maybe more. Not a single broken mug, she just wanted something different.  So she found these nice mugs at Pier 1 and we have broken 2 already?  It appears they have changed their products as she can’t find anymore...

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Timely post... We recently retired our mugs that we had 10 years or maybe more. Not a single broken mug, she just wanted something different.  So she found these nice mugs at Pier 1 and we have broken 2 already?  It appears they have changed their products as she can’t find anymore... 

Our coffee mugs are almost all unique (vs a set), but they do suffer breakage as well - just at a slower rate.  I had a great pottery mug that I barely dropped in the sink, but it developed a hairline crack somewhere and is relegated to pen holder duty now :(

Last time I broke one was about 6 months ago. We hand wash because it takes the 2 of us so long to fill the dishwasher. Glasses were drying on a towel on the counter. A water bottle from a ride tipped over and knocked the glass to the floor. WoW breaks a little more often, but not much, either. 

We have a pair of soup bowls given to us when we married. They are a nice size with a cup handle on one side. A handle broke on one over 23 years ago. (I only remember because it was at the previous house). We liked them so I tried a ceramic glue not expecting it to hold up. It's still doing just fine! Youngest daughter's SO grabbed that bowl to eat some chili. He looked at the handle nervously. Told him it was OK. The handle fix is nearly as old as our daughter!

We have multi colored Fiestaware as our every day, so we just order a few random pieces now and again.

Went with some heavy glass barware as our everyday and it has held up pretty well, but down to about half of what it started as.  Teen and pre teen boys are hard on stuff.

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

Last time I broke one was about 6 months ago. We hand wash because it takes the 2 of us so long to fill the dishwasher. Glasses were drying on a towel on the counter. A water bottle from a ride tipped over and knocked the glass to the floor. WoW breaks a little more often, but not much, either. 

We have a pair of soup bowls given to us when we married. They are a nice size with a cup handle on one side. A handle broke on one over 23 years ago. (I only remember because it was at the previous house). We liked them so I tried a ceramic glue not expecting it to hold up. It's still doing just fine! Youngest daughter's SO grabbed that bowl to eat some chili. He looked at the handle nervously. Told him it was OK. The handle fix is nearly as old as our daughter!

We have glued a few items over the years. Good enough for daily use, but not for "company" :)

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...drinking glasses, plates, bowls, etc. in the kitchen?

We have a set of matching drinking glasses and a very similar set of replacement drinking glasses.  The original set is probably 18yrs old, and down to the last two (out of eight originals), and the original small ones are at 3 our of 8 left.  Of the replacements, we have probably broken a few of them as well over the past decade.  So, we're at like a 1 glass per year rate of destruction. Not as bad with plates, but we lose one of those every five years or so.  Same with bowls.

We had service for 16, 25 years ago. 

We have service for about 5 now.  

• Haha 1