Anybody Here Still Do This?

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, 12string said:

Or line it up with the tape.

Measure twice and cut once...  Typically a builder/woodworker will use a double mark or something that looks like this > to denote the length to cut.  I would only line up to cut on the radial arm saw you showed if the table had a permanent tape installed.

Lately most of my woodwork has required marking with a knife.  While waiting for my wife to stain the drawer box, I'll make a knife block.  If I use a knife to mark that am I risking the balance of the universe?  Maybe I should just find something that leaves a color of some sort on top of the wood.

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

Lately most of my woodwork has required marking with a knife.  While waiting for my wife to stain the drawer box, I'll make a knife block.  If I use a knife to mark that am I risking the balance of the universe?  Maybe I should just find something that leaves a color of some sort on top of the wood.

Or mark the cut line so it's taken out with the blade.   Knife would be good for fine work but with my eyes...  I like to take the mark off with the blade.

And yes there is some risk to the balance of the universe if not done properly as referenced by Rattlecan.  Always listen to Rattlecan.

15 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

My dad was a carpenter. He was rarely seen without a pencil stuck in his cap and a tape measure clipped on his belt. It's the way I'll always remember him.

Mine built houses mostly by himself, contracting out only the foundation pouring and brick work.  Back then he wore overalls with pockets everywhere.  the pencil was usually in a pocket.  Of course back then they didn't wear ball caps with dark glasses on top either.